BC Boards

Play Injuries

That sounds like Jack. I know he can outrun every dog in our house ('cept maybe Alex), and yet when they play chase, Jack is always the one getting caught and ending up on his back. I really think he does it on purpose, rolling himself most of the time. *shrugs* Silly dogs.

Same here, I guess they know if they go in overdrive they don't get to play because the other dog can't keep up and gets all sookey. Even with his bestest buddy, a lab/rot mix, the only dog that can keep up with him he has to tone is down, everyonce in awhile he will go into overdrive and all I hear is "cry cry cry" from the other dog who can't keep up. I think Jude secretly likes knowing he's awesome B)

working at a doggy daycare I have certainly seen injuries from playing too hard..usually ears, sometimes cheeks, paws or shoulders..we try to discourage rough play because of this, but it still happens. I have only ever seen eye injuries from rough play in bug eyed breeds like pugs, never in any normal dog.

that said I am not a worrier..Happy has turned into a regular fire cracker in the yard, tearing around with the young crazies(Happy is just shy of 11 years) and she tends to come home any number of injuries as a result...plus she does stupid things like jump at shovels while the maitentance guy is trying to work, slicing her face and paws open as a result lol, doesnt bother me or her, she gets annoyed when I take her away to clean the injury and make her stay in for a day, and I clean it up and carry on with my life.

Turbo has gotten small cuts on his face numerous times from playing bitey face. A couple times there were scraps quite close to his eyes. He's actually more likely to injure himself crashing through the brush playing chase than playing bitey face. One time he ran full speed into a chain link fence and cut his tongue, another time recently he somehow tripped on his face and got a bloody nose. Hannah got her third eyelid flipped backwards by one of Turbo's teeth once when he was playing, and she got a small ulcer on her eye once from him as well. Another time she got her back foot caught in his martingale collar as she was on her back kicking at him to get off of her. Turbo isn't very gentle in his movements however he is careful about how much his mouth is closing when hes playing...he doesn't really bite down on the dog he's playing with, just has his mouth on them or even just open. I've watched my friend's puppy and mine playing quite a bit and they do a lot of bitey face. So far no injuries and they seem to be careful of how hard to bite. I only hear a whine the odd time.

Turbo has gotten small cuts on his face numerous times from playing bitey face. A couple times there were scraps quite close to his eyes. He's actually more likely to injure himself crashing through the brush playing chase than playing bitey face. One time he ran full speed into a chain link fence and cut his tongue, another time recently he somehow tripped on his face and got a bloody nose. Hannah got her third eyelid flipped backwards by one of Turbo's teeth once when he was playing, and she got a small ulcer on her eye once from him as well. Another time she got her back foot caught in his martingale collar as she was on her back kicking at him to get off of her. Turbo isn't very gentle in his movements however he is careful about how much his mouth is closing when hes playing...he doesn't really bite down on the dog he's playing with, just has his mouth on them or even just open. I've watched my friend's puppy and mine playing quite a bit and they do a lot of bitey face. So far no injuries and they seem to be careful of how hard to bite. I only hear a whine the odd time.

Since I have a (relatively) giant pack they don't at go out together unless I'm in a big hurry. If I'm in a hurry its out with me, do your business, go back. I want that option. No tomfoolery.

I do think it's healthy for them to interact and stretch their legs. I don't have 400 sheep and 1000 acres to use up their social needs. I'm stuck with too many dogs, frankly. Most of them are ancient.

Mr. McCaig, one of them is littermate sister to your old Rose. She lives half in the house and half with the sheep and I'll never give her up because she saved a little girl's life ladt year, when some hooligan kids lured her to the back of our property.

They shot her point blank across the back and now she's terribly noise sensitive and arthritic in the spine.

She still plays with her team mates on the guarding team. Do I "let" her? Heck, yeah.

Tweed (just over 11) plays with Dexter (just under 2) all the time, and it pleases me to no end. Tweed never played very much with anyone else, and I like to see my old man acting like a youngster. Call me sentimental, but it's lovely to me.

Nobody plays with Piper (9) because she always gets angry (though she indulged Dex when he was wee). Woo (6) plays with anyone who will indulge him and TWooie (6) only plays with his brother Woo. One time he played with Dexter's sister, but then he remembered that he hates other dogs.

Nobody ever gets hurt. But hunting wabbits, that's a whole 'nother story. Dex and Wootie had the mother of all collisions today when they came around a brush pile and hit each other head on - well, Wootie's head hit Dexter's chest, cuz Dex is tall. Wootie went down like a sack of hammers, because it was like running into a bony brick wall. Dex may have shuddered a bit ;-)

RDM

I might as well jump in, too.

I like seeing my dogs enjoy themselves. I love the watching Kipp turn from his normal serious self for a few minutes of goofy time with Kenzi. He is relaxed and happy - what's not to love?

I loved it when Missy finally figured out that she could play - first with a 4# puppy then a cat, then a BC mix that a neighbor had. It was stiff awkward play, but I could see the wheels in her head turning, "hey, we speak the same language, this is kinda fun"

I like seeing Kenzi play because it is who Kenzi is. I love the way she has Kipp out of his shell a bit with her playful attitude.

I don't actively encourage play, but I don't discourage it. I control and shape most aspects of their lives, if they want to wrestle and chase a bit in their down time, why not? Part of the joy of having dogs for me is seeing the joy and satisfaction that they get out of life both in their work and in their play.

I should mention I do restrict who hangs with whom. In general, the Border Collies do not socialize together. They really can feed off each other and cause massive high speed accidents. So one Border Collie, and one anything but a Border Collie. And no more than two at a time with the exception of all the oldsters.

There are times I wish I had another dog for Bess to play bitey face with... she wants to play bitey face only she does it with my hands when we are relaxing on the couch ...and I am not as fast and agile as I used to be and I keep telling her 'my hands aren't covered in fur, and ease up a bit would ya!' But in general... she is gentle and it's fun for her...would be a whole lot more fun with another dog though. Sometimes, I think she misses her brother Bruce I left behind at the farm because I couldn't handle 2... at 4 months, they had their little rivalries going on who could take who... I'm not sure she won as often as she wanted to! I hear her Brother Bruce is a fine goose patrol in KC though!

Archived