BC Boards

Rex's firs full trial

This past weekend, Rex participated in his first full trial. He's run a couple of games in the past, but this was his first time running Standard in addition to all the games. I was really pleased with his focus - each trial, he is driving forward a bit more. He's still a little cautious, but I can see that the speed is there, and I'm enjoying these early days when I can keep up with him! He Q'ed 4 of 6 of his runs, with 3 firsts and a second. Oh, and the other fun thing about this weekend was trying his running dogwalk. We've been working on it for a couple of months and it was exciting to see how it stood up outside my backyard. smile.gif The first one was awful, but the next five were nice and deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olup6iuoWKE

Miss Wicky had a great trial too, picking up another Gamble Q ! Only two more til her ATChC - she may get it before she enters her teens! I have no video of her b/c I am superstitious: every time there's video, she has a horrible run, or I break my nose. You'll just have to trust me that she ran great. biggrin.gif

Congrats! Looks like a fun time. Did he really slide all the way from the top of the AF into the contact zone (second Steeplechase course, he is running towards camera over AF)? It is hard to see exactly what happened from the video - but if he did, that is pretty neat (not that it is recommended :) )

Jovi

Did he really slide all the way from the top of the AF into the contact zone (second Steeplechase course, he is running towards camera over AF)?

Yup, that's what he's supposed to do but it's still a work in progress. It's one stride up, fly the apex, land in the contact and off. He needs a lot of speed still to do it cleanly, but it's getting there. It looks kind of extreme, but actually, there's very little impact on the dog. Wick's 2o/2o frame is probably harder on her than Rex's running frame. Of course, later in the video, you'll see that, without a fast approach, his frame is all over the place. Like I said, it's a work in progress. tongue.gif

Yup, that's what he's supposed to do but it's still a work in progress. It's one stride up, fly the apex, land in the contact and off. He needs a lot of speed still to do it cleanly, but it's getting there. It looks kind of extreme, but actually, there's very little impact on the dog. Wick's 2o/2o frame is probably harder on her than Rex's running frame. tongue.gif

Running contacts - what a blast! A very intriguing challenge. I am changing Torque to a RC precisely because of what I believe to be less impact on the shoulder area - since he has had shoulder surgery. I agree that the 2O/2O is more stressful. Torque is very fast, and his 2O/2O on the AF resulted in the 'lawn dart' syndrome.

Keep up the RCs.

Jovi

Oh, he still managed to run under it in Jumpers. angry.gif He can take it on an angle in Steeplechase but not when it's the last obstacle of a straight friggin' line. Oh well, baby dog stuff. smile.gif

Tell me about it :P My "favourite" with my dog is when he decides to jump the tire in the top corner between the bungees, I mean running under I can understand, but in that tight little space? really?!!

Looking sharp though for first time out fully, had to giggle at that slippery aframe ! hehe! B)

I have no video of her b/c I am superstitious: every time there's video, she has a horrible run, or I break my nose. You'll just have to trust me that she ran great. biggrin.gif

Oh, see? I'm not the only one. I am skeered of being videoed, too! For the longest time, every time someone would film us, we'd suck. So now I avoid it, the only videos I have are from people who do it without me knowing. Now, damnit, last weekend we had some pretty good runs, and nothing to prove it. :lol:

Congrats again!

• 3 months later...

What a fun run! His tail was wagging non-stop too, :lol:

But wow, he is also a huge border collie! I always get nervous when that full height tire at the 26" comes up....makes me wince cuz it always looks so dangerous, compared to the lower heights...

I wouldn't say Rex is huge. I think he's kinda runty. He's not quite 20" and 40lbs, and he's jumping 22". Having run a 26" jumping dog, what always gave me pause was the double. The tire - meh. The hole is big enough to drive a car through, for goodness sake!

The tire - meh. The hole is big enough to drive a car through, for goodness sake!

In USDAA??? The USDAA tire is only 18" diameter! I wouldn't even feel comfortable asking my 27" Lab/Shepherd to go through that tire.

A 24" tire, yes. Not 18". Thank god we are seeing so many breakaway designs now, at least.

I think the USDAA tire is 20" in diameter and they allow break-away. In AAC, our tires are HUGE and it does little to encourage a dog to go through the middle. Add the break-away element, and it's really like a saloon door - just go vaguely in the direction.

My response was to an earlier post about the tire looking dangerous when set to 26".

We do the odd USDAA trial, and I try to get my dogs on a smaller, non-displaceable (ie old school) tire just to remind them that tires are for going through. I think any piece of equipment (or sequences of equipment) can be dangerous if taken rashly, or designed poorly. I have pulled my fast dog from courses due to safety concerns - all were Tunnelers courses. Nothing inherently dangerous about tunnels, but in these courses, the tunnels were angled awkwardly coming off speed lines. No big deal, I chose not to run them. So I guess scary is in the eye of the beholder!

Tire Jump

Aperture: 17" - 20"

Sidewall Width: min. 4"

NOTE: Frame must have 8" minimum clearance between tire & frame and not extend more than 9" beyond tire plane in either direction; the top of any cross support beneath the tire shall not be more than 4" above ground level.

From the USDAA web site. Apparently I was wrong and it can go as small as 17". I failed to realize that they capped out at 20", though.

I'm not sure my large deep chested dog could even fit through a 17" opening. lol

From the March 2011 Official Rules & Regulations of United States Dog Agility Association.

The Tire Jump shall consist of a tire suspended within a sturdy frame. The tire shall have an aperture diameter of 20" (51cm) and a sidewall width of no less than 4" (10cm). The tire shall be wrapped or filled such that a dog's paw may not be caught on the inside of the tire while jumping through, and shall be banded or striped in contrasting colors to aid visibility. If a substitute object is used for a tire, the object (e.g., molded venting pipe or life preserver) must offer similar pliability as a tire. The tire shall be adjustable to jumping heights listed in Chapters 3–10 when measured at the lowest point of the aperture equal.

The tire may be manufactured in a manner that the bottom or sides will separate when hit with no less than eighteen pounds (18#) of force, but such pieces must remain suspended in the frame and shall be easily reset in its original circular form with minimal effort. This optional "breakaway" tire must be constructed such that the dog cannot be injured or distracted by the operation of the tire. Breakaway tire jumps must be both functional and safe.

The guy who makes agility equipment around here has made a ton of displaceable tires for USDAA clubs in the past year. But whatever, if you think the tire is too small, then compete in another venue. What's nice about choice is that you can choose!

Archived