BC Boards

Seriously injured duck bill

While we were away at Hop Bottom there was chaos on the farm because Sam (our LGD) is still healing from a probably snake bite. Among other things 2 ducks are missing and one has an injured upper bill. A predator, probably a fox, bit the duck on the bill. There is a puncture in the flesh under the bill and the upper bill is almost totally broken off just below the nostrils. There is a small strip along the side of the bill that continues to join the end to the head. The end of the bill (below the fracture) does not move when the duck opens its mouth. We have been able to temporally reattach with super glue the fractured section of the bill which allowed the duck to eat.

Does anyone know if the bill is likely to heal if we can keep it attached with glue?

Mark,Not sure if you got an answer on this one yet, but if not, you may try calling the Wildlife Center in Waynesboro, VA and see what they may suggest.

While we were away at Hop Bottom there was chaos on the farm because Sam (our LGD) is still healing from a probably snake bite. Among other things 2 ducks are missing and one has an injured upper bill. A predator, probably a fox, bit the duck on the bill. There is a puncture in the flesh under the bill and the upper bill is almost totally broken off just below the nostrils. There is a small strip along the side of the bill that continues to join the end to the head. The end of the bill (below the fracture) does not move when the duck opens its mouth. We have been able to temporally reattach with super glue the fractured section of the bill which allowed the duck to eat.

Does anyone know if the bill is likely to heal if we can keep it attached with glue?

I had a dog attack my ducks awhile back and I was instructed to put the invisible stich adhesive stuff on it and seperate her from the others so she wouldn't be bothered by my male. I also dabbed it with blue knot and it worked for me. My duck only had the tip of her bill wounded. Hope this helps! Everyone around my area calls me the Duck Whisperer :P

That is so terrific. It's amazing how animals can adapt given the chance. Good job on your vet/engineering skills. :lol:

Archived