BC Boards

Hello again! Looking seriously at getting a border collie

Hi guys! It’s been a while! :)

A lot has happened in the 2 years since I’ve really been on here. If you recall I was in college and looking at getting possibly a BC for my next dog. I decided to wait on it till I graduated college and ended up with a wonderful papillon puppy instead. Now I have graduated, moved, gotten a nice job, and will hopefully have a house with a yard soon (it’s in the process), live a few miles from my dad's ranch which I could take the dogs to any time. My puppy is now 2 years old and finally getting some common sense and training going very well. So everything is kind of finally settling down for me.

To be honest, I never stopped wanting a border collie even once I got Mia, my youngest papillon. I love Mia very much and she has become a very special dog to me. She’s been great practice- she was a hellish little puppy and is great fun to work with. I have done some sports and obedience training with her, but she’s mostly my very active pet. But the BC want never went away.

What really spawned this was that I ended up recently with a foster dog. She’s a terrier mix of some sort about 15 inches tall and benji looking. We found her pregnant and infested with heartworms and chasing cars in 100 degree heat about 6 weeks ago. Long story short we never found her owners and I’ve been working on getting her well and suited to being a house dog. She seems like she’s never been inside so it’s been a process to say the least. I was honestly very content with my two papillons and was planning on getting a BC in about 2 years. But having this foster has made me reconsider a third dog. I think I am actually pretty ready for dog #3 (I’ve always set my personal limit to 3 dogs). And since my limit is 3 dogs, I want this one to be my border collie for sure. I have thought about other breeds, mostly another sheltie, but I just think if I don’t go with a border collie for this one, I’ll really regret it.

I have thought about keeping Ada (the terrier) but while she’s really a great dog, she’s a terrier and I have always thought I’d not make a great terrier owner. Owning her is really confirming the fact that I am just not a terrier person at all. I feel like there’s someone out there that will appreciate her stubborn independence and pushy attitude more than I do. I have certainly learned a lot from her as she’s very different to handle than our past collie mix, shelties, and papillons. I feel somewhat bad about not wanting to keep her but I just don’t think it would be fair to her.

I would really love to continue fostering as it has been so rewarding to me. I thought that maybe this would be a good opportunity to get involved in border collie rescue once Ada finds a home. I feel really strongly since I want a pet primarily and that there are so many in rescue that that is where my next dog will likely come from. It will be a while, sure, because we still have 6 months worth of heartworm treatment for Ada and so far no good homes showing up. Has anyone started out with fostering and then gone on to adopt a border collie? I also feel like that could be a great way to really find a dog

I just wanted to stop by and say that I am lurking once again and trying to get as much information as I can. Any good links for BCs in the Oklahoma/north Texas area would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a couple big rescues in Texas but none I've seen that operate in Oklahoma. ABCR is in the old town I lived in, which is unfortunately about 8 hours away now. I would love to go to another stock trial (it’s been 2 years since I’ve been to one). But I’m not sure where they’re held in Oklahoma.

Thanks!

Lauren

Goodness, that was a lot longer than I had thought it would be!

Welcome back! I have thought about you from time to time, wondering where that girl who loves papillons went to...LOL!

I also have read a few fostering 101 fail stories on here the last couple years!

I never really left. I come on here at least once a week to look at pictures of everyone's dogs. :) Just kind of been in lurk mode lately. I will try to post more often. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the upcoming months.

Lots of pics of everyone (my two and foster, plus my dad's 3 dogs and some friends' dogs) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28493989@N07/

My biggest concern is the prey drive and the little dogs of course but I think getting an adult dog and fostering could be a good way to find a dog that meshes okay with the little two. One of my dogs is a bit... picky. She still is not sure what to make of the big wirehaired beast.

I really just want to do what I can to make sure it's a good fit for all dogs involved.

My biggest concern is the prey drive and the little dogs of course but I think getting an adult dog and fostering could be a good way to find a dog that meshes okay with the little two. One of my dogs is a bit... picky. She still is not sure what to make of the big wirehaired beast.

FWIW: I have lived with Border Collies and Papillons for about 12 years, and I have not had any issues. There are a few rules: if the Papillon takes it unjustly, come to me. I will then go take it back and remove said bossy Papillon, don't just go grab anything.

I also never leave them home alone loose together. If anything that was appropriately dog-to-dog happened theres too much size differential.

We always walk together and practice stays together and we all learn to wait for our name before we chase after any ball or frisbee so we don't have collisions.

250290_2058116658953_1425745142_32330808_3443838_n.jpg

Swiffer (age 6), Harley (13) and Argos (1)

FWIW: I have lived with Border Collies and Papillons for about 12 years, and I have not had any issues. There are a few rules: if the Papillon takes it unjustly, come to me. I will then go take it back and remove said bossy Papillon, don't just go grab anything.

I also never leave them home alone loose together. If anything that was appropriately dog-to-dog happened theres too much size differential.

We always walk together and practice stays together and we all learn to wait for our name before we chase after any ball or frisbee so we don't have collisions.

250290_2058116658953_1425745142_32330808_3443838_n.jpg

Swiffer (age 6), Harley (13) and Argos (1)

Awww they're wonderful together! I figure managing a BC/papillon house will not be too different than managing with the terrier foster. She's not as big as a BC but there's still a substantial difference in size and strength there. Plus she's got that terrier attitude and is always trying to start something with the papillons. So I am fairly used to really watching the dog/dog interactions closely and making sure the little ones don't get bowled over.

I never leave them alone together and separate them when I play ball. I play ball with the papillons and then the terrier is put away or I put the papillons away and then play with the terrier. They're separated around food, etc.

Here's my two and a BC friend. This was when Mia was still a puppy:

5456305786_00944ae035.jpg

miasummerjude by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Bossy papillon is about right! ;)

Did you get your BCs as adults?

I would think you'ld have no trouble in tx getting a border collie. Our puppies are 5 weeks and many of the dogs from the texas seizure were more pregant in the beginning of April. We have found alot to like in all 14 of the dogs we recieved. Many are already adopted into good loving homes. Plus Tx is a place for pure breds in rescue. We are still getting requests to take dogs from there. Watch your petfinder look at the border collie rescue boards frequetly and check craigs list. I'm sure you can find the perfect border collie with a bit of looking

BTW I probably have your perfect dog from the texas seizure but, she is now in Pa. She was adopted but, too much dog for the couple. She needs an agility home.

For me it's more like having a border collie household that happens to have a Papillon in the mix. I've not had any prey drive issues with any of the dogs that come into my home, with the exception of one female who decided to fall in love with him instead. :lol: I'll admit that at one point I'd had a thought that my next puppy would be another Pap, but turns out that won't be the case. I will say that my BCs do tend to run over the Small Dog, but then he tends to act invisible much of the time.

Since your dogs are younger they probably act more like dogs than Zippy does. But still, most packs that I've seen including BCs and Paps have been pretty fluid. At a ratio of two to one, too, I would think it would work out well.

Nice to see you again!

For me it's more like having a border collie household that happens to have a Papillon in the mix. I've not had any prey drive issues with any of the dogs that come into my home, with the exception of one female who decided to fall in love with him instead. :lol: I'll admit that at one point I'd had a thought that my next puppy would be another Pap, but turns out that won't be the case. I will say that my BCs do tend to run over the Small Dog, but then he tends to act invisible much of the time.

Since your dogs are younger they probably act more like dogs than Zippy does. But still, most packs that I've seen including BCs and Paps have been pretty fluid. At a ratio of two to one, too, I would think it would work out well.

Nice to see you again!

Nice to see you again too! It's been a while! :)

I really see myself having both breeds for the rest of my life. I know that sounds crazy having never owned a BC yet but I really feel such a strong passion for the breed unlike any other. I can see myself completely satisfied having only those two breeds. I really have no desire to own another. I'm definitely sure I will always have papillons for my small dog.

My two paps are very active. My younger is 2 and the oldest is 7 but she looks and acts about 3 years old. She's kind of a follower though, she tends to just act crazy whenever the other is. They like to play with dogs within their circle but can take some time warming up to newbies. So I am anticipating it taking a few weeks to even a month or two to have them really accept a new dog.

I wish I could have a dog right now. I read about the seizure in Texas and it's just awful. But I really can't until I see this foster taken care of. As of now we've still got a bit of recovery time for her and I still have no decent people interested in her. I'm thinking it will probably be at least 6 months before I can really start looking. What rescue do you work with? I'm actually up in Oklahoma. Do the Texas rescues adopt up this way?

I don't have a pap but I do have a chihuahua in a household with 3 border collies. Lilo is about 6 lbs and is a spitfire. She goes on off leash hikes with the border collies, plays fetch with them, runs around like a nut with them, etc. They lie in the floor and play bitey face on a regular basis. Lilo is small but is expected to act like a dog, no handbags for this little girl! Lilo will sometimes jump up on the ottoman to play with the big dogs so she's a little taller but normally she's on the ground.

Two of my border collies have very high prey drive and will catch and kill small furry running critters including cats, squirrels, etc; however, they've never seen Lilo as anything other than a dog and no prey moves have ever been made toward her.

My household is a little different since the border collies came first and the chihuahua was the latest addition but they are all great friends and make a wonderful little pack. I originally wanted a pap, not a chihuahua (had met too many nasty little armpit piranha chihuahuas) but saw Lilo on petfinder and her bio said that she had the best personality so I went to see her and she does! She plays with any dogs, large or small, and loves any person she meets. Never barks or growls and allows anyone to come take her out of my arms. Having a small dog was definitely a change but a fun one!

I'm sure your perfect dog is out there and you'll make a wonderful border collie owner!

I don't have a pap but I do have a chihuahua in a household with 3 border collies. Lilo is about 6 lbs and is a spitfire. She goes on off leash hikes with the border collies, plays fetch with them, runs around like a nut with them, etc. They lie in the floor and play bitey face on a regular basis. Lilo is small but is expected to act like a dog, no handbags for this little girl! Lilo will sometimes jump up on the ottoman to play with the big dogs so she's a little taller but normally she's on the ground.

Two of my border collies have very high prey drive and will catch and kill small furry running critters including cats, squirrels, etc; however, they've never seen Lilo as anything other than a dog and no prey moves have ever been made toward her.

My household is a little different since the border collies came first and the chihuahua was the latest addition but they are all great friends and make a wonderful little pack. I originally wanted a pap, not a chihuahua (had met too many nasty little armpit piranha chihuahuas) but saw Lilo on petfinder and her bio said that she had the best personality so I went to see her and she does! She plays with any dogs, large or small, and loves any person she meets. Never barks or growls and allows anyone to come take her out of my arms. Having a small dog was definitely a change but a fun one!

I'm sure your perfect dog is out there and you'll make a wonderful border collie owner!

Thanks so much for your experience! We have known quite a few border collies in training class and in general my dogs have gotten on with the collies better than many other bigger breeds. I'm not sure why that is, I think it might be because the BCs were generally less apt to try to bounce on them like the Aussies. But my dogs are at least used to being around dogs that are much larger than they are.

Of course living with the size difference will be different and will take some work. My two are pretty small at around 7 and 8 lbs respectively. I have had them with shelties that were larger but my shelties were so old by that time that there was no way they could catch the paps to begin with.

And yes, I agree, there's nothing like a border collie! I've considered other similar breeds but they just don't have the draw factor for me that border collies do. I tossed around sheltie some but I realized that is just simply because they're familiar. I'm really overly analytical sometimes so I want to definitely make sure I prepare well for any dog I take in.

What rescue do you work with? I'm actually up in Oklahoma. Do the Texas rescues adopt up this way?

I don't, actually, work with a rescue. However, there are many around these boards that DO. As I understand it some of the rescues adopt out to neighboring states. You may want to post (or shout out in this one) asking for rescue org recommendations. :)

Archived