BC Boards

Zayla

Jedismom

Stella, my sister-in-law, has always had a big heart for animals. She adopted "Shay" who was one of the the Swafford rescues and who is now flourishing in her home. Her heart dog though, was Zayla. She had to make the hard decision to put Zayla to sleep last night. She didn't seem herself yesterday and out of the blue just collapsed. After rushing to the vet and running tests, they found that she had bone cancer. It was so advanced they couldn't do anything. Just last Sunday, my son was playing ball with Zayla and now she's gone. Zayla was the dog that got me interested in border collies in the first place. She and Stella seemed to have their own form of communication, like reading each other's minds. When Zayla looked at you, her eyes spoke to you. Zayla never needed a leash, she just followed Stella everywhere. She loved all people and children, especially if they would throw something for her. Her doggie siblings, Shay (now called Lily) and Shadow will miss her terribly, and were waiting for her to come out of the house today so they could romp in the yard. I can't think about that without feeling tremendously sad.

Run free sweet Zayla...your mommy will meet you someday. Go find Grandma, she will throw a toy for you.

post-8480-015089200 1306531274_thumb.jpg

post-8480-028007000 1306531356_thumb.jpg

post-8480-032516900 1306531430_thumb.jpg

Every time I see a post in this forum, I catch my breath and think maybe I won't read it this time. My own wounds are still too fresh and it will make me cry. But I feel I owe it to my fellow board member to read about their special friend and to offer comfort and grieve along with them even though I've never met them or their dog.

Your tribute to Zayla touched my heart. And yes, I cried like I knew I would. I'm so sorry for your loss.

HEAVEN'S DOGGY-DOOR

My best friend closed his eyes last night,

As his head was in my hand.

The Doctors said he was in pain,

And it was hard for him to stand.

The thoughts that scurried through my head,

As I cradled him in my arms.

Were of his younger, puppy years,

And OH...his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge

With an intense "I love you gaze",

Only a heart that's filled with tears

Remembering our joy filled days.

But an Angel just appeared to me,

And he said, "You should cry no more,

GOD also loves our canine friends,

He's installed a 'doggy-door"!

Zayla will always live in the hearts of those who loved her. I'm so sorry that the loss was that sudden. I know the feeling only too well.

"There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who chose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive;our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given." Suzanne Clothier "Bones would Rain from the Sky"

Run free at the Bridge...you have many beloved companions there to play with..

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.