BC Boards

looking for advice on what food might work for a troublesome tummy

alligande

Back in December Brody became sick with a mystery bug, we never found out what it was. His symptoms at the time where no appetite, and throwing up what little he ate. After about a month, with a variety of multiple antibiotics, and the indignity of multiple tests, x-rays, ultrasounds he started eating again and not throwing it up.

He remained on Taste of the Wild, but his bowels have become very fragile. This does not happen everyday sometimes his stool is normal but often enough he has the runs, his bathroom habitats are the same. I have tried a number of ideas that have been suggested on the board, he has had pro-biotics, dried coconut, yoghurt. My vet suggested changing his food to try and find one that works for him. So I switched back to Canidae, and for the first week things looked promising but now we are back to runny stool. So it will be on to another food, I am trying to keep the quality of the food up without spending a fortune so there are limited options.

We have become careful about his consumption of human food, prior to becoming sick he had a bullet proof stomach and my husband and he used to share lunch at work, now he is very careful what he shares.

Feeding raw is really not an option, plus Brody will not eat raw meat, he likes it cooked first.

Looking for ideas, Brody hates baths and with his long feathers, getting washed is becoming a regular activity which we would both like to end.

You should consider an elimination diet. Her could very well have developed an intolerance to some common ingredient in the diets.

There are strict guidelines for a food trial-use a limited ingredient diet (single novel protein, single novel carb), Nothing else other than some green veggies that he's not been exposed to.

Food allergy can present in many ways and these days most good foods contain everything but the kitchen sink. So there is no way to be sure unless you do the trial.

HTH,

Cindy

It seems like you have tried a plethora of treatments. Here is one more suggestion: Investigate BioSponge by Platinum Performance.

(www.platinumperformance.com) It is promoted as an aid in supporting healthy intestinal function. From memory (without taking the time to look it up on their website), it is an atapulgite "clay" that nonspecifically absorbs intestinal toxins and may also help in clearing Clostridium dificile. I use it if one of my dogs has more than one or two diarrhea events but is otherwise healthy.

There is a 1-800 # to call, and I remember them being very knowledgeable on the phone. Definitely run this past your vet to see what he/she thinks about it. (Note: I have no connection to Platinum Performance except for being a satisfied customer of BioSponge.)

Regards the feathers: Cut a few inches off. They will grow back very quickly. Torque hates having his "mudflaps" groomed, so every 3-4 months I will cut off 2-3 inches so that when I do try to comb/brush them out, it is a lot easier. (He still has 3-4 inches left after a trim.)

Good Luck,

Jovi

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a late thank you for the advice, switching foods has done the trick. His current diet is chicken soup. To be honest going through an exclusion diet with a dog that won't eat raw food or vegetables looked daunting <_< so I was thrilled when the 4th dog food worked and no more upset tummy.

Archived