BC Boards

Merle Female Wanted

A good friend of mine lost her two border collies earlier this year - they were 16 years and 14 years old. The older dog was her "heart" dog and was a merle border collie mix. She is ready to adopt another border collie.

I told her I'd put the feelers out- she needs an older female that's not high-energy and is cat-safe. The dogs she had before had some drive so she can handle it as long as they have an off button and no neurotic/hyper behavior. She has one other dog, a young heeler mix. I can't stress enough how good of a home this would be - she was absolutely devoted to her dogs. Should be something within driving distance of Las Vegas (Arizona or Southern CA is fine). She prefers merle but knows it may be hard to find.

Thanks!

There are a lot of merles out there. I know of two older merle females looking for a rehome. I don't think either are precisely what your friend is looking for, but I am sure the perfect dog is out there.

The dogs rescued from Texas had a lot of merles in the bunch. So far most of them sound to be very loving as they come out of their shells.

The Arizona Border Collie Rescue has 20+ dogs from Texas, and yes, there are merles among them. They are not currently listed as available, but will be placed on the adoptable list as and when they are deemed ready. Some have made such progress that I believe they will be made available soon; others will need longer rehabilitation before they are ready. It is heartening that even the most terrified dogs are coming out of their shells and demonstrating their resilience. In addition to the Texas dogs, of course, we have a continual stream of local rescues coming in.

If you like Ned so much but don't want an escape artist I'll offer you Sage. :rolleyes:

Sage10months.jpg

SageNov2008closeup-1.jpg

DSC00970.jpg

He respects a 3 ft fence or baby gate, loves to cuddle, is actually quite skilled at finding sheep and goats hiding deep in the woods and he is total goof without being annoying. The only down side is that he is terrified of storms and can't ever leave the property because he is utterly terrified of non Border Collies (attacked several times by loose pit bulls).

Maybe because he is an escape artist and needs a minimum of a 6 foot smooth fence or wall to keep him in.

Hah, that's no biggie. Two of my recent fosters, Rhys and Glyn were master jumpers who could easily clear a 6ft block wall. They never jumped my wall. because I told them not to and they respected that.

Ned is a very nice boy. I can't understand why he's still available.

+1. I met him at one of our events and had to start chanting my mantra; "I don't need another dog, I don't need another dog!".

He seems to be on the lower end of the size scale, a smoothy and...those speckles on the backs of his ears!

As for jumping walls... Most (if not all) Border Collies have the ability to jump 6' walls. Respect and training is what keeps them inside. Cerb regularly clears well over his jump height from a sitting start, yet I have to coax and weedle to get him to jump one of the baby gates we've set up. You can almost see the horror in his eyes at commiting such a sin.

PS: Liz...Sage is gorgeous!

As for jumping walls... Most (if not all) Border Collies have the ability to jump 6' walls. Respect and training is what keeps them inside.

That and ignorance. Glyn, for example jumped fences (he could see through) but not walls until he was at his new home and the pool maintenance guy left the gate open. Glyn and his new pack mate wandered off for adventures (meaning doing the "poor starving pup" trick to get a neighbor to feed him treats). After that, he knew what was the other side of the wall and started jumping -- his new person didn't believe he was actually jumping until she caught him in the act. He collects himself on his haunches and launches vertically -- very impressive to watch.

Hah, that's no biggie. Two of my recent fosters, Rhys and Glyn were master jumpers who could easily clear a 6ft block wall. They never jumped my wall. because I told them not to and they respected that.

I don't have any fences at all, so they should send him to me!!

RDM

Archived