BC Boards

Taff half ear

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder about that jumping back from the food bowl thing. Wonder if it perhaps has to do with having had to struggle for food and getting bitten by others while eating. Maybe he learned it was best to grab a bite and get out of the way while your mouth was too full to be able to bite back. Just a thought.

I don't think that is what is happening. He will eat a bit then go suddenly back and around and return to his bowl from a different direction. He was obviously not used to eating from a bowl and this appears to be some habit he learned from eating kibble from the ground (the first day he wouldn't even eat from my hand, only if I dropped kibble on the tiles). Oh well, he's eating and we're getting him used to the way we do things in this house.

We're in that difficult phase where he is feeling much better, but still needs to keep fairly quiet to heal properly. Fortunately he loves his crate (Senneca's actually, but she has graciously let him use it) and scuttles back in as soon as he comes in from the back yard. Pacco is starting to get impatient and wants to play with him; I have to be careful to keep him at bay, so that he doesn't initiate any rough play.

Aw, I have a special soft spot for fuzzy little red tris. He's adorable.

It's easy to have a soft spot for this little guy and his fuzzy coat and markings add to his charm. This morning, I caught him playing with Senneca and Pacco; they spotted me before I could take a photo, but he's making himself a part of the pack. BCRT listed him as an alpha dog, but I am not seeing that so far. As he gets more time out of his crate we'll get to see more of his personality emerging, I suppose. It's a week today he was neutered and he is still a bit sore and can still only manage short walks.

• 2 weeks later...

Taff half ear is doing great. He's fit enough for walks and has started joining us for the evening dog park visit. He is still a bit awkward going up and down stairs and in and out of the car, but he's getting the hang of it gradually. He's fit enough to climb on a table and try to help himself to treats, so I guess it's more a question of adjustment.

After watching Pacco and Senneca wrestle and play, he has decided to join in and this morning I saw him romping and wrestling with Pacco. They don't like an audience, so they stopped immediately they saw me. According to the BCRT folks, he is an alpha, but I haven't seen much sign of typical dominance until yesterday evening, when he stared an very submissive acd down to the ground. Otherwise he's been pretty well behaved meeting strange dogs at the park.

At home, we have established a "no piddle" zone over most of the house, though there are a few remoter corners that he will still attempt to hike a leg. Not quite ready to get full freedom, but definitely major progress. He's also close to getting his "mealtime etiquette" diploma. also a big step forward for a dog who was used to the free for all feeding protocol and wouldn't eat from a bowl -- or even from my hand -- initially.

Thanks for the update on Taff. I was wondering how he was doing. It sounds like he's progressing very well under your loving care. :) Any updated pictures?????

Aw, Taff is just toooo cute!

I am so glad to hear an update on him. I actually logged in to the board tonight in order to post in this thread and ask how how is doing. I am delighted to hear of his progress. I wish that I could get him to write a little note to Kelso, telling him that he can stop being so afraid now, that nothing bad is going to happen to him!

Good work with Taff, John. And good for you, Taff......way to go, little guy.

:-)

D'Elle

Taff was at the Phoenix PetExpo yesterday along with some other Jefferson dogs. Here's Taff, with uzie (left) and Sierra (right). Suzie had some cancerous masses removed when she was spayed and she may anything from a few months to a 2-3 years life remaining, but she was extremely happy to meet Taff and immediately started flirting with him.

P1000317-m.jpg

Chip, was also there, but left before I got a chance to get them all together.

Taff was at the Phoenix PetExpo yesterday along with some other Jefferson dogs. The photo shows Taff (centre) with Suzie (left) and Sierra (right). Suzie had some cancerous masses removed when she was spayed and she may anything from a few months to a 2-3 years life remaining, but she was extremely happy to meet Taff and immediately started flirting with him.

P1000317-m.jpg

Chip, was also there, but left before I got a chance to get them all together.

Taff looks well on the way to being a canine ambassador for BC Rescue - and a social butterfly, in his own quiet way.

Susie looks happy, and has the blessing of being totally unconcerned about her health issues. We should take life one day at a time as well as dogs do!

Taff looks well on the way to being a canine ambassador for BC Rescue - and a social butterfly, in his own quiet way.

Susie looks happy, and has the blessing of being totally unconcerned about her health issues. We should take life one day at a time as well as dogs do!

Taff is actually doing pretty good as an ambassador for rescue. Everyone who asks "you have three, now?", gets the full story of the puppy mill and it's horrors. I then go to describe how traumatized some of the dogs were and point out how well he is doing. But then, I have a bit of practice. My earlier foster Rhys bach -- for all his issues -- had a giant personality that attracted the attention of many at the dog park. One couple, who were regulars at throwing his ball, became so taken by his behaviour that they adopted first one dog from our rescue, then a second; and now foster one of the Jefferson dogs.

Suzie, alas has almost certainly been in pain after surgery, yet there was no sign of self-pity or misery. We certainly can learn a lot from dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a while since I gave an update on my little Taff half ear. He's doing really well. We've reached the point in house training where he is safe to wander loose. He has been socializing with people and dogs at the dog park with no issues at all, though he is still a little skittish with women. He has opened up and is playing with my female, Senneca. In other words, behaving pretty much like a normal dog. Here's a few photos:

Getting a little attention; and loving it.

Taff-IMAG0404-m.jpg

Relaxing after dinner.

Taff-IMAG0423-m.jpg

Enjoying an outing to the dog park.

Taff-IMAG0459-m.jpg

Taff-IMAG0452-m.jpg

Providing moral support while I assemble an Ikea wardrobe.

Taff-IMAG0477-m.jpg

Nice! I especially like that he is helping you assemble furniture. That is always a very fraught time in our household!

The dogs were safely out of the way while the heavy lifting was going on, but were allowed to "help" during the finishing work. Taff really likes to keep near me while I'm home; he is my constant shadow.

Archived