BC Boards

Taff half ear

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old did the vet think Taff was? I'm curious as I'm wondering if he is the dad to the boys we have here with the large female(who I thought was a male) who went home. They have similar hair and are Red tri. Physicially they are big like the mom and more aussie red but, the coat style seems like them.

How old did the vet think Taff was? I'm curious as I'm wondering if he is the dad to the boys we have here with the large female(who I thought was a male) who went home. They have similar hair and are Red tri. Physicially they are big like the mom and more aussie red but, the coat style seems like them.

The consenus is that Taff is about 6 years, but as you know, that's the difficult age range to judge. His coat is a bit of a mess, after all his matts were cut out, but he is blowing his coat now and when the new coat is fully grown, he's going to look stunning. It's not showing well in the photos, but the lighter markings -- around his face, for example -- are not uniform, but have a clear gradient from slightly lighter to slightly darker.

[Maybe you could post some photos ofthe boys?]

The consenus is that Taff is about 6 years, but as you know, that's the difficult age range to judge. His coat is a bit of a mess, after all his matts were cut out, but he is blowing his coat now and when the new coat is fully grown, he's going to look stunning. It's not showing well in the photos, but the lighter markings -- around his face, for example -- are not uniform, but have a clear gradient from slightly lighter to slightly darker.

[Maybe you could post some photos ofthe boys?]

This is one of the boys I'm talking about they also have a black and white sister but, their mom was a black tri. They were born some time last summerish. This guy is our toughest he wont get with the program after 7 weeks. The closest he comes to me is 8 feet away and it takes at least 2 people to catch him if he gets away in the big yard. Their coat has an unusual wave to it in the shaft. Like it will never lay perfectly straight and smooth.

txdogs004.jpg

That pic is from the day they arrived in April. I really have to wonder though what happened to this man last year that so many pups survived but, werent sold or placed.

Alot of the most scared are more like Kelso in that when they think you cant see them they play happily but, when they see you they hide.

This guy is just learning to be a peripheral of the dogs. He cant take treats or join the group to come when someone arrives he only stands and watches from a distance.

That pic is from the day they arrived in April. I really have to wonder though what happened to this man last year that so many pups survived but, werent sold or placed.

Alot of the most scared are more like Kelso in that when they think you cant see them they play happily but, when they see you they hide.

This guy is just learning to be a peripheral of the dogs. He cant take treats or join the group to come when someone arrives he only stands and watches from a distance.

If I understood the reports correctly, the man was placed in a mental hospital. That allowed the wife to sign over the dogs before he was released. I suppose the last year he had lost control of the situation. As you describe, the younger dogs are the most problematic; they appear to have had little or no socialization with people.

Taff half ear could very well be dad to your boys. He and Suzy were certainly "romantically bonded" and I'm sure that Suzy wasn't the only bitch in his life. Taff is a bit of a tough nut himself. He has bonded well with me but runs from my wife like she is going to eat him. He is very used to being top dog; something that shows when he's with the other Jefferson dogs. Interestingly, he is not like that with strange dogs -- he is well mannered and no problem at all at the dog park. I think I mentioned that, initially, Taff would only play when I was out of sight and stopped immediately when he saw I was looking.

Their sister was adopted yesterday at the best friends adoptathon. All we have left now is boys aside from Meg who is a bounce back for being way too hyper a girl and Lousie who's pups are almost weaned.

The other girls are all doing great in their new homes. We have adopted out our one young boy and one is ready to be adopted.

I'm unsure How the last 4 will fare. The brother a twin to the one pictured is submissive he shows you his belly all the time. 2 more very prety ones are ghosts you would never know they were even in the yard. We are working on them but, it will be a process.

I enjoy hearing about others process with them. I hope to post puppy pics tomorrow. They are way too much.

This morning, as we entered the house after our morning walk, Taff ran into the front room and *played* with a stuffed toy. Up to now, he has show no interest in "dog" toys, preferring bathroom waste baskets, empty water bottles and the like. Little by little, he's becoming a normal dog. Oh and I wish I had a video of his performance at the door waiting to go out. He squeals and whoops and does a happy dance. And one the door is open, he announces to the world (well, neighborhood) that Taff half ear is out for his morning walk. So far, I haven't received any complaints, but I'll bet there are a few folks who mutter a quiet curse on his excited barking at four thirty in the morning.

He is also becoming bolder at the park and will -- cautiously -- go up to women, sniff them and even allow them to pet him if they reach out to him slowly. Alas, my wife is still regarded as a puppy eating ogress who shall be avoided at all costs. More work needed on that front, I'm afraid.

It's so nice to read about the progress Taff and all the other dogs are making in the care of such wonderful folks. Hopefully, Taff will relent, and let your wife love him up too. He's certainly a handsome fellow :)

Wow, John, that is great news about Taff. As you know, playing with toys has proven to be a huge door-opener for Kelso. And I would never have expected that, as I sincerely doubt he had ever been given a toy in his life before he came here. Do you suppose the toy drive is hard-wired in, like a prey-drive? Or is it the same thing?

I would love to see video of Taff ready to go for a walk. He's such a cutie. Thanks for the update.

:-)

D'Elle

Wow, John, that is great news about Taff. As you know, playing with toys has proven to be a huge door-opener for Kelso. And I would never have expected that, as I sincerely doubt he had ever been given a toy in his life before he came here. Do you suppose the toy drive is hard-wired in, like a prey-drive? Or is it the same thing?

I would love to see video of Taff ready to go for a walk. He's such a cutie. Thanks for the update.

:-)

D'Elle

Toy drive, I think, is a lot more complex than prey drive. Certainly the desire to pounce on a moving object (say a tug toy) is a form of prey drive, but the reason Taff went and played with the stuffed toy is likely that he saw Senneca play with it yesterday. Jealousy, perhaps?

As for the video, alas there are several reason why you shouldn't raise your hopes. It's dark. My brain is way too slow at that time of the morning to fumble with a camera when I have two very impatient dogs swirling and bouncing around my feet.

Toy drive, I think, is a lot more complex than prey drive. Certainly the desire to pounce on a moving object (say a tug toy) is a form of prey drive, but the reason Taff went and played with the stuffed toy is likely that he saw Senneca play with it yesterday. Jealousy, perhaps?

As for the video, alas there are several reason why you shouldn't raise your hopes. It's dark. My brain is way too slow at that time of the morning to fumble with a camera when I have two very impatient dogs swirling and bouncing around my feet.

Interesting to think about why they like squeaky toys. some dogs are indifferent to them, I have found, but most will respond, and some (like my Jester and now Kelso) go instantly bonkers the first time they hear it. I have always thought it was connected to prey drive, but on the other hand it may have nothing to do with it. Kelso has a prey drive, as I saw him chase a cat that was outside our yard, all along the fence. Jester has a strong instinct when it comes to livestock, such as sheep or goats or cattle, but is indifferent to horses, birds and small animals. I have seen ducks, geese, and squirrels literally run right in front of Jester and he just kept trotting along. So who knows.

I understand about the video. I do not have a video camera or even a still camera, as mine burned in my house fire three years ago and I have not managed to replace them yet. I have to borrow one from a friend. I guess I had best start shopping for one, though.

:) D'Elle

This morning, as we entered the house after our morning walk, Taff ran into the front room and *played* with a stuffed toy. Up to now, he has show no interest in "dog" toys, preferring bathroom waste baskets, empty water bottles and the like. Little by little, he's becoming a normal dog. Oh and I wish I had a video of his performance at the door waiting to go out. He squeals and whoops and does a happy dance. And one the door is open, he announces to the world (well, neighborhood) that Taff half ear is out for his morning walk. So far, I haven't received any complaints, but I'll bet there are a few folks who mutter a quiet curse on his excited barking at four thirty in the morning.

He is also becoming bolder at the park and will -- cautiously -- go up to women, sniff them and even allow them to pet him if they reach out to him slowly. Alas, my wife is still regarded as a puppy eating ogress who shall be avoided at all costs. More work needed on that front, I'm afraid.

Tell your wife not to feel bad, with the scared ones here they will run up all excited with the rest of the group to see me and then I'm not allowed to touch them. The super scared guy (on the previous page) loves to stare directly at me. He is studying me closely at all times but, the closest he gets to me is 10 feet away.

Tell your wife not to feel bad, with the scared ones here they will run up all excited with the rest of the group to see me and then I'm not allowed to touch them. The super scared guy (on the previous page) loves to stare directly at me. He is studying me closely at all times but, the closest he gets to me is 10 feet away.

Taff half ear has taken one huge step forward; he's letting my wife approach him and touch him.

post-7882-016730600 1309014207_thumb.jpg

My wife tells me that she has been giving him apple slices and that has finally convinced him that she can't be that bad,

• 4 months later...

Well, I haven't written about him for a long time, but Taff has been making slow but steady progress and has warmed up to being touched by women. A week and a half ago at the Franciscan Renewal a nice family fell in love with him. He not only allowed the woman and daughter to touch him, but appeared to enjoy it so much that he wanted to go with them right there and then. That couldn't be because they needed to go through our adoption process, but today, after being approved, they came to pick him up. I miss him already.

Archived