BC Boards

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am enjoying your updates. I love how you give him credit for working hard. This isn't easy for him, and he sure is, and so are you!

Thank you........all of you........for reading this thread and for cheering on Kelso. I appreciate so much all of the positive energy that is coming his way.

Kelso continues to be fascinated with the squeaky-toy play, although when I tried to move the play outdoors it did not translate for him and he went back into hiding. So we will just play that by ear. But it is wonderful to see him perk up and play a bit.

This morning he actually moved just slightly toward me when I was sitting outside having coffee. He was lying a couple of feet away and he scooched closer so as to be within petting range!

I needed to wipe his feet tonight and it caused a minor melt-down. He's over it and lying next to my chair as I type this. But seeing him go into panic mode just about brought me to tears.

I hope I can be forgiven for saying that if I could rain hell fire down upon the heads of those so-called human beings who did this to Kelso and all the other dogs, I would not hesitate for a moment. And when I start to think about all the thousands of dogs in puppy mills who are suffering and have not been rescued and don't have a chance........

What has to happen for this to stop??

As for Kelso, I continue to be so impressed by him. He is such a courageous dog. He tries so hard even though he is so frightened. I believe that he is a gentle dog at heart, without any aggressive tendencies, and that he wants to be sweet. I think he sees the loving that Jes and Kit get and wishes he could have some too. But his fear is a wall and he has not taken it down yet. I just hope that I can help him, one stone at a time, until he can let in some love. I want so much for him to feel loved.

D'Elle

He is such a lucky dog to have found you.

I feel exactly the same way about the puppy mills. Raining hellfire is not enough. I would like to see those awful people spend serious jailtime - with their bare feet on wire floors. No heat in winter. Living in filth the whole time.

Looks like our Missouri bill against puppy mills got totalled. But the powers that be are looking into a serious legal challenge. More power to them.

So...any new pictures of Kelso? I'm thinking we would all like to see the spark coming alive in his eyes :)

I am planning on taking some more photos this weekend if I get the chance. I don't have a camera, so I need to borrow one from a friend. :-)

Yoday's update: I am going to try a thundershirt on Kelso, to see if it will make any difference to his anxiety level. And I have changed another thing - I have gone back to hand-feeding him entirely. I think that is helping, as he seems just a tad more relaxed in my presence, and sometimes I can even get him to move a few feet across the floor toward me when I am feeding him out of my hand.

Although progress has not really been in evidence in the past several days with Kelso, and it has been hard not to be discouraged, I have had a strong feeling that things continue to grow and change for him under the surface where I cannot see them. When I get discouraged, or worry that I am not doing enough for him, or worse yet worry that he will not ever get to the point that he can truly have a happy dog life, I remind myself to have faith. Have faith in Kelso, first and foremost, and in his innate and inalienable dog spirit. And faith in the process of healing, which I know is not a straight line path. It does not, as the song says, clickity-clack down a well worn path, it comes together and it goes apart, and the most important thing that I can give Kelso is my faith in him.

And today after I got home from brunch with friends who encouraged me to keep that faith, Kelso was more animated than ever when I brought out the squeaky toy. Tiny steps are being made. He now is confident enough to grab the toy himself and go off with it, much to Jester's consternation. I keep the play sessions very short so as not to ramp up too much or risk a negative incident among the dogs over the toy, and I am always watching body language closely so that there are no negative experiences for Kelso. After a play session he is always more relaxed and alert.

I know some folks wanted to see new photos, so I got some just now as they were playing, although juggling the camera and the toy was quite interesting!

Here are Kelso and Jes waiting for me to throw the toy. Look at that light and concentration in Kelso's eyes! He hadn't focused on anything in the weeks he had been here until the first time I got that toy out, and it is still the only thing that gets him excited.

KelsoJesWheresTheSqueaky-1.jpg

And here he's got the toy and Jes is looking at me as if to say "What am I supposed to do now, boss?"

Kelsogetsthesqueaky.jpg

Here is Kelso waiting for me to throw the toy.....

KelsoMay82011_3-1.jpg

But this one is my favorite because he is smiling!

KelsosmilesMay82011.jpg

To look at these photos you would never guess that he is not a normal happy border collie. He isn't. He is still terrified of most things, runs from me at least 80% of the time, has anxiety attacks, and shuts down completely in the presence of any human being but me. He isn't a normal dog, at least not yet, but looking at these images really gives me a lot of hope. If he can look like this, then a happy border collie is in there, just waiting until it is safe to come out. Kelso has a very long way to go before he is considered adoptable. But he's going to make it if I have anything to say about it.

D'Elle

To look at these photos you would never guess that he is not a normal happy border collie. He isn't. He is still terrified of most things, runs from me at least 80% of the time, has anxiety attacks, and shuts down completely in the presence of any human being but me. He isn't a normal dog, at least not yet,

There is a normal happy border collie inside; just struggling hard to get out. He needs a helping hand and is clearly looking to you to give it. The photos show that your efforts are working. Keep it up. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Phoenix PetExpo, but next event I am looking forward to meeting Kelso as well.

Great to see the progress!! Just wondering - have you tried playing with him without the other dogs present? One on one time may help him to focus/interact more with you if he's not concerned about possessing a toy and keeping it away from the other dogs.

Another idea is to have a higher value second toy (cuz toys are pretty high value when it comes to squeaky toys!!!) you throw the first and he grabs it, then get his attention again with an squeakier toy and reward him for refocusing on you. The more interactive you can make the game, the better.

Also, can you get him on a long line yet?

Wow, look at the gleam in his eyes in the play pictures! I'm very impressed with him. His progress may be in jumps and plateaus, but progress he will. Good work!

I have another toy suggestion: if it is just the one toy he's fascinated by, buy another of the same, just in case you lose the first one. (This suggestion comes from my experiences with a baby who dearly loved her blankie. Oh how I wished I'd rotated several identical ones!)

My experience with my reactive/fearful dog was that we took forward and backward steps a LOT in the early days, and that in the first year, the leaps were great, huge leaps, but as time went on, the progress got much slower but steadier.

So now, for example, people who haven't seen Buddy in a year will say, "Oh, he's so much better!" In the first four years, Buddy became outwardly normal - but in the last two years, he's become (very gradually!) more inwardly normal, and will actually approach people with cheerful hope rather than dart away with suspicion. There's still some wariness and he'll still react to people who move too fast or seem aggressive, but his default setting has gone from "fear" to "maybe treats."

Don't be discouraged by small setbacks. Kelso is living in an entirely different world now, and it will take him time to accept that it's the real world.

Mary

What a great photo...such a dramatic difference in such a short time. I am sure Kelso will continue to blossom into a more confident, happy dog under your care. Amazing :)

There is a normal happy border collie inside; just struggling hard to get out. He needs a helping hand and is clearly looking to you to give it. The photos show that your efforts are working. Keep it up. It was a pleasure to meet you at the Phoenix PetExpo, but next event I am looking forward to meeting Kelso as well.

It was wonderful to meet you as well, John! Putting a face to the name is such a pleasure. I was very impressed by the Jefferson dogs who were there. And yes, next time Kelso will be there too. Or so I hope.

Great to see the progress!! Just wondering - have you tried playing with him without the other dogs present? One on one time may help him to focus/interact more with you if he's not concerned about possessing a toy and keeping it away from the other dogs.

Another idea is to have a higher value second toy (cuz toys are pretty high value when it comes to squeaky toys!!!) you throw the first and he grabs it, then get his attention again with an squeakier toy and reward him for refocusing on you. The more interactive you can make the game, the better.

Also, can you get him on a long line yet?

I have not tried playing with him without the other dogs. I keep meaning to do it, but of course the other dogs get frantic if they hear that sound and cannot get to it. :rolleyes: I like the idea, though, especially your suggestion of getting his attention that way. Good idea! I am going to try it.

He will tolerate a long line attached to his collar and dragging. (Is that what you mean?) But he will not go anywhere at all on a leash.

I have another toy suggestion: if it is just the one toy he's fascinated by, buy another of the same, just in case you lose the first one.

As for toy value, it appears that for all of the dogs the only pertinent thing is that it squeaks. It doesn't matter what the toy is; they all react the same way to any toy that makes that sound.

I have a new strategy for when someone comes to the house! I was having a person try to feed him, but he would not even remotely acknowledge the stranger's presence, let alone take food from them. So last night my friend came to visit and the minute she was in the door, I got out the squeaky toy. Now, the rule is that if anyone comes to the house, out comes the toy immediately. The idea, obviously, is to teach Kelso that Strange Scary Person = Arrival of Wonderful Squeaky Toy! And because I was throwing the toy in the living room, Kelso came out of hiding and even right into the same room with Strange Scary Person. Progress!! And later on, I hand-fed him with Strange Scary Person sitting on the floor only a few feet away, and he still ate. Unfortunately, although I would love to have someone come do this every day, I live too far out for people to want to drop by very often.

One of the coolest things about this process is discovering things that work. It's enough to make my whole day when something brings about progress.

And one more thing to report: Although he will happily go out the back door into the dog yard, and feels very confident there, the front door is another thing altogether. He acts as though I have pushed him out into outer space (or like the scene from the movie "Beetlejuice", where the people try to leave the house and find themselves in a groundless empty and terrifying wasteland full of monsters). But the good part is that when I take him out the front he spends most of the time looking right at me. To me this means that I am becoming for him a safe place in the frightening world, and for that tiny bit of trust he places in me I am ever so grateful.

One day at a time. :)

Yes, I'm talking about along drag line. I'd try going outside with him on the long line (without the other dogs) and just hanging out until he acknowledges you in some way. Then pull out the sqeaky toy and reward him with it. Have another one so when he acknowledges you again you can pull out another toy and reward him. It can really help to build his confidence if he realizes that his actions control the toy - ie, "I connect with person, I get the awesome sqeaky toy"

FWIW, the reasoning behind the long line is that it will keep him in your general area in a non-confrontational way.

ETA - I think you can use the front door to your advantage, too. Get a really high value treat (cooked hot dog, liver, cheese) step out the front door and when he makes eye contact, reward him and go back inside. You will be rewarding his focus on you and helping him realize that there are some really good things in scary world out there.

Yes, I'm talking about along drag line. I'd try going outside with him on the long line (without the other dogs) and just hanging out until he acknowledges you in some way. Then pull out the sqeaky toy and reward him with it. Have another one so when he acknowledges you again you can pull out another toy and reward him. It can really help to build his confidence if he realizes that his actions control the toy - ie, "I connect with person, I get the awesome sqeaky toy"

FWIW, the reasoning behind the long line is that it will keep him in your general area in a non-confrontational way.

ETA - I think you can use the front door to your advantage, too. Get a really high value treat (cooked hot dog, liver, cheese) step out the front door and when he makes eye contact, reward him and go back inside. You will be rewarding his focus on you and helping him realize that there are some really good things in scary world out there.

Thanks for the clarification. I will try the drag line outside, with the toy and see if he makes a connection after a while. Unfortunately, when it comes to food, he is indifferent. I have not found anything that makes him want to get more, not even roast chicken or hot dogs. And to get him out the front door I have to carry him. there's no way he would go on his own. Not out the gate from the back yard, either. He has his relatively safe areas, and he will not willingly leave them, not for anything, not even for the squeaky toy.

And to get him out the front door I have to carry him. There's no way he would go on his own.

Got it! What I would do then is to get his attention/reward him near the back door, then open the door and reward him with his squeaky toy for going through it. What you want to do is to get him very comfortable with coming inside or going outside the back door for the squeaky toy.

At the same time you can be feeding him, having squeaky toy playtime around the front door. Get him very comfortable in the vicinity of the door. Then open it and take your other two outdoors and play a quick game with them (ignoring Kelso) Keep this up and chances are that he will eventually want to come join the fun.

Not an overnight process by any means, but I think something like that might really help

Liverwurst mixed with cream cheese. Will he lick stuff off your fingers?

Suggestions: If your front yard is enclosed, or you can make a temporary enclosure like an x-pen right outside, play Squeeky games in the front room w/the front door open. Wander near the open front door, let your other dogs go in and out the front door. Stand outside and toss the Squeeky inside. Stand inside and toss the Squeeky outside. You get the idea.

Try him and Squeeky by himself with some of the liverwurst/cream cheese smeared on it. Might change his mind about food.

You're doing such a great job!

Ruth

Could be he's just not food motivated, but have you tried liverwurst? That's usually a highly sought after high value reward (at least at my house).

Liverwurst (braunschweiger) is extremely effective. In my experience, if your dog doesn't show strong interest in it, check his pulse and rush him immediately to the vet. I have smeared it over cut up peices of food roll as training treats.

My front yard is not fenced. Yet. I plan to have a perimeter fence put up around the whole acre this year. When I take him out the front door I have to have him on a harness, because now that he can run, if he slipped his collar there's no telling what would happen.

Let the dogs out this AM and Kelso was running in the backyard with the other dogs. Running around just like any other dog! Gosh, that does my heart good to see. :D

This morning another first....he is sniffing around the kitchen with a curiosity I have not previously seen in him. Instead of just going to his spot and making himself small and still he is interested in what is on the counter top. More acting like a dog!

And a friend came yesterday to visit, and because she was slow and patient and willing to sit for over an hour with me on the kitchen floor a few feet away from Kelso while we talked, he eventually went from frozen-in-fear lump on the floor to relaxed and lying down with eyes closed while she petted him.

I realized yesterday that Kelso has only been with me barely a month as of this coming Friday. For some reason I had thought it was longer. I think his progress for that amount of time is very good. Today I will buy liverwurst for him as a reward that I hope he will like!

D'Elle

Wow! I read the whole thread today. Your story warms my heart. Thank you for rescuing Kelso. You have a sweet soul and so does he!