BC Boards

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's so wonderful to hear. A heartbreaking beginning to a perfect home with incredible help along the way.

Too bad there is no video of his journey. I think it may make a nice documentary of the pitfalls of irresponsible breeders and what the poor dogs go through along with ones that help them..most people just don't understand.

D'Elle, I shared a synopsis of Kelso's story on my FB page, using no names or locations. Just that a friend had taken in a badly abused bc, spent a lot of time rehabbing him, and found him a good home. And added that the friend had just received a pupdate from the new owner, and that K, (I did use his initial) had become a total clown and a happy, happy dog.

Got rave reviews, even several from people I don't know! Lots of people are happy about Kelso's new life. Thank you for making it possible for him and his new family.

R&G

That's so wonderful to hear. A heartbreaking beginning to a perfect home with incredible help along the way.

Too bad there is no video of his journey. I think it may make a nice documentary of the pitfalls of irresponsible breeders and what the poor dogs go through along with ones that help them..most people just don't understand.

Actually, I did document a fair bit of Kelso's journey in photos and videos, although some things I would have liked to get on video I couldn't because there wasn't someone here to do the video at that moment.

It was always my intention to make a little video, using both moving and still photos, maybe 4 minutes or less, about Kelso to put on You Tube. I even wrote out the story board for it and the narration at one point. But I don't know how to put such a thing together, the friend who said she would help me was always too busy, and it fell by the wayside.

I agree that the story and thousands like it should be spread wide. Partly to show people what dogs can overcome if given the chance, and mostly to highlight yet again what puppy mills are really like. There are so many people even now who will say, "Oh my dog isn't from a puppy mill, he came from a breeder is Missouri and is AKC registered!"

<sigh>

I always try to educate when I can. Sometimes people do not want to heat it, especially when they have been duped into buying a puppy mill dog.

D'Elle, I shared a synopsis of Kelso's story on my FB page, using no names or locations. Just that a friend had taken in a badly abused bc, spent a lot of time rehabbing him, and found him a good home. And added that the friend had just received a pupdate from the new owner, and that K, (I did use his initial) had become a total clown and a happy, happy dog.

Got rave reviews, even several from people I don't know! Lots of people are happy about Kelso's new life. Thank you for making it possible for him and his new family.

R&G

Thanks for doing that! And, also for keeping my privacy at the same time. :)

As I said above, all the spreading of the story that can happen is good.

One of the best things about Kelso was that he went from being a severely shut-down and terrified lump on the floor to being a completely goofy clown of a dog. I couldn't ever have predicted that, but I saw it happening the last few months he was with me, and his true goofball nature has come to full flower in his permanent home, thanks to his absolutely wonderful and skilled owners and their deep love for him.

I cannot think of Kelso without smiling. Fostering him was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Here is what Kelso's Person says about the facebook post you did:

I'm happy to do anything to spread the word about how dogs such as Kelso can overcome their horrors. I don't mind at all if you share any info to spread Kelso's story and to help stop puppy mills, etc..
Kelso does have a facebook page : Kelso Kelso
I am not on it very much but there are photos and videos there as well.
PS I told Kelso all about this and he smiled and wiggle-waggled his tail all over the place. I swear I kiss him 200 times per day and he wiggles/waggles and smiles and gets all excited and then zooms around. He is so funny!

• 4 months later...

Hello all......

I made a day-trip a few days ago to go and visit Kelso and his family. I couldn't believe it has really been five years since I saw them. I did not expect him to remember me, of course, and I know he did not at first....maybe not at all...it is impossible to be sure, although Annmarie thought near the end of my 4-hour visit he might have realized who I was. I took my two small dogs with me because he lived with them as well during his last few months in my home.

Oh, everyone, he just looked so great. He must be about 9 years old now, but you'd think he was 4 or 5. He has clearly had the very best of everything. His coat is beautiful, his teeth perfect, and his eyes so clear and deep the way they always were once he came to life. It was such a pleasure to see him and also to see his people, whom I have always liked very much.

He will always be shy with strangers, and nervous for the first few minutes, but there's nothing wrong with that, and his people don't mind a bit. Once a person is in the house for a while he usually comes out; I just ignored him and eventually he came to me.

Always the clown, he showed me his own self-invented game, "Bowl", which consists of a person sliding a plastic dog food bowl upside down along the floor, whereupon he runs to get it, expertly flips it over, grabs the edge and brings it back.

I will always love that dog and be grateful that I had the privilege of having him in my life.

Photos of us below. :)

post-2074-0-24570600-1515441889_thumb.jpgpost-2074-0-75130500-1515441907_thumb.jpg

So glad that you folks still care about Kelso...it really warms my heart. Glad that you are not tired of getting occasional updates.

I hope that sometime in my life I have the opportunity to help another severely damaged and shut-down dog the way Kelso was when he first came, because it is the most rewarding thing ever. But even if I do have that chance, I will always love Kelso best. :-)

And yes, he does have an incredible life.

I always use Kelso as an example when I discuss fostering with someone. How incredibly rewarding fostering can be, and how much one can learn.

I use him as an example when talking about puppy mills, as do his people, who often talk to people about that and do what they can to inform people about that problem.

Kelso has been a very important relationship in my life, because not only is he a wonderful dog but also he represents so much more than just his own life.

He has touched deeply so many people he will never meet. I find that remarkable and it does warm my heart.

• 1 year later...

Just a little photo update on our Kelso. Here is a snapshot that his person took while out on a walk recently. We had a lot of rain this past winter, so the wildflowers are in abundance in this desert, and Kelso seems to be appreciating them! :D  Look at that sparkle in his eyes. 

Kelso and spring flowers 2019.jpg

• 4 years later...

It is with a very heavy heart that I must write this post to let all of you know, you who have followed Kelso's story and life for so many years, that Kelso died yesterday.

In May, his owner wrote to me to let me know that he had been diagnosed with cancer. But in the time since then, he had been doing so well that we al thought he would have much more time left to him. Less than a month ago I saw video of him playing and walking, with his beautiful sparkly eyes all lit up and his tail wagging, and he was as gorgeous as ever, and still had his playful and goofy spirit. 

Sadly, about a week ago he suddenly started to go downhill, and knowing that he wouldn't get better his loving people let him go. He died at home knowing he was deeply loved, after enjoying a meal of his favorite foods.

I am heartbroken, and I know all of you who followed his story and cared about him will be saddened by this as well.

Kelso was a unique dog. His story touched so many people. He taught me more about dogs, courage, and healing from trauma than any other individual I have ever known, and many dogs have benefited and will in the future benefit from what I learned from him. He went from being a dog so shut down he was essentially catatonic, having no will to live, having never had a relationship with another living being, to being a happy-go-lucky, goofy playful dog who gave and received love in great abundance and had many adventures with his wonderful people. I will always be grateful that I was given the opportunity to be there with him as he made the transition into discovering that he was a dog and what being a dog can mean. 

His person has said may times that he is her soul-mate, and after all that Kelso went through, he deserved that kind of love and relationship. I am so glad that he had such fine people to be with. His people gave him a wonderful life, full of travel and fun and the very best of care a dog could possibly have. They loved him deeply and are devastated at the loss of him in their lives. I will always be grateful to them for the wonderful home they gave Kelso.

I'm grateful also to all of you who followed this thread through the years, who supported me and gave advice, who cheered with me when he made a breakthrough and bolstered me when there was a setback, and who sent good energy to Kelso. It has meant a lot. Thank you.

I’m sorry for your loss, D’Elle. Kelso’s story was inspiring. Thanks to you, he left this world surrounded by love. Nevertheless, losing them is so hard. Sending love.