BC Boards

A couple of weeks ago, a few friends and I went to Wales to see the sheep and dogs (and castles, and hilly bits). Here's a bit of what we saw.

There were the gorgeous dogs. This is Wynford Japp's young Moss.

moss.jpg

moss3.jpg

Here is Richard Millichap's 2009 Int. Supreme Champion Dewi Tweed:

dewi-tweed.jpg

dewi-tweed2.jpg

And Richard's other Open dog, a very uniquely marked bitch named Rose.

rose.jpg

rose4.jpg

This is one of Richard's young dogs, off his Tweed. Kinda looks like his pop.

tweed-pup.jpg

tweed-pup2.jpg

And another of his young prospects. I love how slick and pointy this guy is!

pointy-pup.jpg

pointy-pup3.jpg

Angie Driscoll's dogs look so much alike to me, I am sure to get their names wrong. But here goes nothing.

I *know* this is Cheviot Jamie. smile.gif

jamie.jpg

jamie2.jpg

jamie4.jpg

And this is Kinloch Bee.

bea2.jpg

bee.jpg

This is Meg (or Sioux).

sioux2.jpg

sioux4.jpg

This is Sioux (or Meg).

meg.jpg

meg2.jpg

And Penny, who is a firecracker of a little dog. 13 months old, and ready to run an Open course. In Wales, the Nursery season is from October til February. If you run your baby dog in Open and place in the top 20%, you are no longer eligible for Nursery. What to do when your dog is this good this young! Oh to have that problem!

penny.jpg

penny2.jpg

Now onto the sheep!

The most common sheep we saw were the gorgeous Welsh Mountain Sheep. There are at least five varieties of this breed, and all of them are small, hardy, and very very light.

These are Wynford's sheep, hoping that we've finished working dogs.

sheep-2.jpg

Our host, David Rees, has a lovely flock of Welsh Mountain sheep too.

rees_sheep.jpg

And for something different! While Richard Millichap runs 1,000 Welsh Mountain ewes, his daughter has Texels.

texel.jpg

texel2.jpg

And this is a Beulah.

sheep-1.jpg

For me, one of the highlights was meeting Mrs. Barbara Carpenter and getting a tour of Pastor's Hill. I believe the house was built in the 16th century.

pastor_hill.jpg

outbuilding.jpg

sheep.jpg

Mrs. Carpenter and her faithful friend, Glen.

mrs_carpenter.jpg

Mrs. Carpenter's pony, Folly, and Muk-Muk (my Olympic mascot who went on the road trip with me).

MM_pony.jpg

Oh, and there are wild ponies in Wales! Well, they're wild in that they don't belong to anyone. However, they come if you cluck to them, and they let you place stuffed animals on them for photo purposes. :-)

mukmuk-pony.jpg

what a very cool trip. i'm quite envious! beautiul everything-dogs, sheep, people, ponies and it looks like even the weather. lucky you.

Oh, Kristi..... So Jealous.... :)

Just beautiful - I love how it always is so green there, thank you so much for sharing.

I went to England in 2008 and long to go back there... and to add Wales to the list next time around too!

What a wonderful trip and pictures! You simply couldn't post too many for me. I wonder if Dewi Tweed's offspring all look so much like him? He's so distinctive.

AGH...colour me green...green with envy :) What a marvellous trip that must have been! I'd love to go back to the UK. I didn't get to Wales but did get to Northern England, Scotland and Ireland. Beautiful dogs, sheep, scenery and ponies! Who could ask for more?

Laura, maybe you have chicken chills?biggrin.gif

I saw at least one Dewi Tweed pup who did NOT inherit the freckles. This is Moss, a 5 month-old pup. I think this is his 4th time on sheep. Isn't he cute? With Tweed as his sire and a Kevin Evans bitch as his mother, I think he'll be a pretty classy worker when he grows up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9gwNCZjO4

What wonderful pictures. And the lambs are so sweet. Thank you very much for sharing us.

I think, you spent nice days in Wales. I have never been there.

Laura, maybe you have chicken chills

Ew. Yeah, that too. *shudder*

But really, those pics are amazing - what a beautiful place. Sure hope I can go some day!

Here are a couple more from Richard M's place.

It is impossible to appreciate how difficult a gather this is from where this photo was shot. The sheep are knee-deep in some kind of heather or gorse, there are streams that you can't see but that the sheep won't cross, and it is hilly/rocky/steep terrain. I'm pretty sure Lou would break his neck trying to gather this hill. It's easily 700 yards, if not a wee bit more. tongue.gif

tweed_gather.jpg

Random observation: very few farmers dock the tails of their sheep. They crutch them before lambing, but otherwise, the fat tails reign.

fat_tails.jpg

And a few more of Rose, who is so fugly-cute.

rose5.jpg

rose7.jpg

Gorgeous photos, Kristi, and thanks for sharing!

If I didn't like you already, I could be jealous enough to hate you...

Lovely pictures! The dogs and scenery are beautiful but the ponies are AWESOME!!! I love little ponies!!! WANT!!

OK, just one more. I am not a horse person, but this little one kinda tickled my fancy. I called her Misty (anyone else remember Misty of Chincoteague???).

193646_10150108809381016_521871015_6887478_6848502_o.jpg

I love horses, so I remember reading the book Misty of Chincoteague! In fact it still may be at my mom's house!

So cute! :)

OK, just one more. I am not a horse person, but this little one kinda tickled my fancy. I called her Misty (anyone else remember Misty of Chincoteague???).

193646_10150108809381016_521871015_6887478_6848502_o.jpg

Awwwwww!!!! So, SO cute!!! I think she is tiny enough to fly Coach on a plane from Wales to NC! I will pick her up and enjoy having a lap pony!

What a lovely set of pics to share. Thanks! Did you come home with a new prospect yourself?

Why, that would be impractical, given that I already am at my max of three dogs. No, I certainly wouldn't bring anything back from Wales, that would be crazy ... wink.gif

But I know my friends wanted to smuggle some ponies home!

Amazing...sigh...

It is one of life's little ironies that I knew nothing about the world of border collies and sheep during the two years I lived in the UK...

Here are a couple more from Richard M's place.

And a few more of Rose, who is so fugly-cute.

rose5.jpg

rose7.jpg

:wub: Rose...but then I'm partial to one particular tag eared smoothie. VVVVV

What beautiful photos. I can see you had an amazing trip. Thank you for shareing it, I forget how much I miss comeing here :)