BC Boards

200+ dogs in Texas

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you don't think this is overkill, but just one more link. This is our passionate and intrepid leader, Kelly, Pres. of ABCR who was interviewed at home with her 3 foster dogs from the TX puppy mill on yet another Phx news station. There is a slide show of the dogs adjusting to their new home with quotes from the interview (no video on this one).

http://www.kpho.com/news/27566413/detail.html

Thanks for the link, Nancy. I feel lucky to be able to be a part of ABCR, and I am proud of the larger border collie "community" all over the country who pitched in to help these dogs. It is good to know that even though there are people who will treat dogs and other animals like this there are also people like the folks who drove for many hours or days from other parts of the country to rescue these dogs. My hat's off to all of them.

We have 7 of the 12 that are comfortable around us but, they are almost hopeful my dad will notice them. It was sort of sad seeing the pregnant girl waiting patiently for my dad to notice her and pet her. John Try canned fish. They ate leftovers from a resturant and our readily took fish. They are all slow to warm up to the good for you food.

The good news is some of the really thin ones have gained weight. Due to the storms last night with power outages I cant get news from Mom before work but, that big of a low pressure system should have been a great time to have pups.

Oldly the sun is out here but, the winds are still whipping. I feel so bad for the people in NC. The pictures are so sad.

John Try canned fish. They ate leftovers from a resturant and our readily took fish. They are all slow to warm up to the good for you food.

I did try some lamb & rice wet food on his kibble and he ate some kibble with it.This morning he only ate the wet food. He's chubby, so I'm not getting panicky to get him to eat. Canned fish? I guess I could try mixing some into his kibble. We're vegetarians, so we don't have any in the house, but I could swing by Costco and pick some up. I do have some dried pollack (used for treats); I could try with that, too. BTW, our normal kibble is a grain free Salmon formula. The kibble he did eat was Turkey and Duck. He also accepted some lamb treats, so maybe fish isn't his thing?

Apart from that, he's doing pretty good. The big thing is house training as he is a marker, so I have to keep him under tight control when he's loose.

I did try some lamb & rice wet food on his kibble and he ate some kibble with it.This morning he only ate the wet food. He's chubby, so I'm not getting panicky to get him to eat. Canned fish? I guess I could try mixing some into his kibble. We're vegetarians, so we don't have any in the house, but I could swing by Costco and pick some up. I do have some dried pollack (used for treats); I could try with that, too. BTW, our normal kibble is a grain free Salmon formula. The kibble he did eat was Turkey and Duck. He also accepted some lamb treats, so maybe fish isn't his thing?

Apart from that, he's doing pretty good. The big thing is house training as he is a marker, so I have to keep him under tight control when he's loose.

Every foster we have taken in has refused to eat or just nibbled for the first few days. One thing that has worked for us (other than waiting) was to pour a bit of chicken broth over the kibble.

YMMV.

The merle boy at my home I am now calling Kelso. It might take a few days to see if the name fits because he doesn't respond to anything much that I do or say. I am going to write about his progress in a separate thread here in the rescue section. I will warmly welcome suggestions or comments any of you have; this boy needs all the help he can get.

--D'Elle

Every foster we have taken in has refused to eat or just nibbled for the first few days. One thing that has worked for us (other than waiting) was to pour a bit of chicken broth over the kibble.

YMMV.

I've had a mixed bag. Some have been picky eaters to start with; others, like my previous foster, Glyn and my current foster Pacco, were foodies and ate everything I gave them.

BTW: This little guy gets very disturbed when he hears running water; shower, kitchen sink etc. Want him to bark? Turn on a tap -- works every time.

Update: I got him to eat by sprinkling his kibble with cheese -- cave aged cheddar, to be precise. Now I know his weakness.

Archived