BC Boards

200+ dogs in Texas

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you guys wont have it bad at all. We have 2 we are comfortable to be ready to adopt out. I think the micro tiny girl has a home with mom too. Since all her dogs have moved into senior status this year.

They are all becoming friendlier in only a week. Dont get me wrong there are 4 that if something frightening happens will pile up like a litter of puppies behind a garbage can but, they all get more brave every day.

Got the same email.

I called my dogs into the room to tell them we have another foster coming.

Well, they're on schedule to arrive at Paradise Valley around 7:30 this morning (traffic willing). I'm off in a few minutes to meet up and collect my foster.

You've told your dogs? I haven't even told my wife yet (It's easier to get forgiveness than permission).

Well, they're on schedule to arrive at Paradise Valley around 7:30 this morning (traffic willing). I'm off in a few minutes to meet up and collect my foster.

You've told your dogs? I haven't even told my wife yet (It's easier to get forgiveness than permission).

LOL! Well, I guess that's the difference between dogs and people. With dogs I find it easier to get compliance ahead of time than forgiveness afterward!

I will be picking up mine after work this afternoon.

D'Elle

For me, that would be a great way to lose a leg.

Post up when you have your pup. Hopefully Max will go home with his adopter today. Then the lobbying begins! B)

you guys wont have it bad at all. We have 2 we are comfortable to be ready to adopt out. I think the micro tiny girl has a home with mom too. Since all her dogs have moved into senior status this year.

They are all becoming friendlier in only a week. Dont get me wrong there are 4 that if something frightening happens will pile up like a litter of puppies behind a garbage can but, they all get more brave every day.

Thanks for the progress note with yours. The poor things, so scared! I hate the people who do this kind of thing to animals. But I know that all of them will have good new lives now. I am glad that there are so many people who care enough to go to this effort to save them all. And, I am especially grateful that, unlike the last BC situation in TX, none of the dogs were positive for heartworms and so could leave the state and find homes. I always find it touching to work with a frightened dog and watch her or him come out of the shell and find joy in life. I am grateful that I am able to do this.

D'Elle

Thanks for the progress note with yours. The poor things, so scared! I hate the people who do this kind of thing to animals. But I know that all of them will have good new lives now. I am glad that there are so many people who care enough to go to this effort to save them all. And, I am especially grateful that, unlike the last BC situation in TX, none of the dogs were positive for heartworms and so could leave the state and find homes. I always find it touching to work with a frightened dog and watch her or him come out of the shell and find joy in life. I am grateful that I am able to do this.

D'Elle

I decided in watching them today that even though they are grown (12 to 18 months) 3 of them must be the same litter. 2 unusual shades of red and white and black and white. They all have the same really long nose. We moved them into a huge xpen to stop the hiding(they can see us working) and they all piled into the same one dog bed.lol

Mom should have pups this weekend. She is so uncomfortable. I wish she had been here longer to enable us to get xrays. Luckily this isnt her first litter.

The arrival this morning was covered by a reporter from Channel 3 KTVK. Channel 5 News also was interested in a story and was contacting Kelly. As you see below, the story may be taken up by CNN.

Thank you again SO much for allowing me to tell & show our viewers the horror of internet puppy mills and the big hearted volunteers of your group. Short reports will air tonight at 4:30 & 5:30' date=' 9 & early tomorrow morning. I'm also sending a report to CNN so they can not only air it this weekend but also make it available to all CNN affiliates. Please involve me in the work your group does and I'll gladly run updates when you start placing these gifts from God.[/quote']

The arrival this morning was covered by a reporter from Channel 3 KTVK. Channel 5 News also was interested in a story and was contacting Kelly. As you see below, the story may be taken up by CNN.

Here's a link to the televised news coverage of the arrival in AZ..had me in tears.

http://www.azfamily.com/video/featured-videos/Dogs-up-for-adoption-119955194.html

Sheryl, I'm glad to hear they are opening up fairly fast. That is awesome news. Definitely keep us posted on how they are doing. I'll keep that mama dog in my thoughts. At least the pups will never know that life.

John... did you get the biggest border collie from Texas???? :lol: Not that these guys are very big at all. (John some how always winds up with the larger dogs, if we were gambling he would win big every time) All you have to do is show your wife that video Nancy posted and she could never be mad at you.

I hope the story makes CNN! Then maybe we can get some exposure out there for all the dogs and rescues involved. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who could use some donations.

Oh, and Laura... Thank you! ;)

John... did you get the biggest border collie from Texas???? :lol: Not that these guys are very big at all. (John some how always winds up with the larger dogs, if we were gambling he would win big every time) All you have to do is show your wife that video Nancy posted and she could never be mad at you.

Yes, I do believe I got the biggest dog -- which is actually a big joke, because he is so tiny. Just not as tiny as the others. That link didn't work for me, but my wife and daughter say they saw it live on TV.

He is very sweet and calm -- no issues at all so far. I think he has been much fatter -- at least he seemed to think a 30 min walk was a big event and slowed down to a crawl on the final leg. He also ate a little food afterwards. This morning he turned up his nose to the Pelican Bay Salmon grain free and did so again this evening, but was finally tempted by some Turkey and Duck formula kibble (free sample!). He let me tease out some mats from his fur; some I will have to cut out.

This story was on my Facebook news feed yesterday. Someone had posted several FlipPhone videos on YouTube, documenting conditions. I was absolutely stunned. The house looked like it had been abandoned for years and I wondered if ever a human had lived with them! Every scrap of furniture was demolished and the entire house was full of trash and debris. And that only accounted for the dogs living loose, not those cramped in tiny kennels or cages ...

I still can't imagine how things ever got to such a horrific state. The one family member I saw mentioned apparently hadn't been to the property in like 6 years. The videos only showed one litter of puppies, but two or three other dogs looked heavy enough that I wondered if they were pregnant females. I thank God that there are so many good people rallying to help.

~ Gloria

Well, here's a first photo of the one who came to my house.

My link

TheMerleboyfirstnight1.jpg

Hope that works. I am not accomplished at posting photos.

What you see in the photo is all that he did for the first hour, and what he is doing now, although at least his head is facing into the room now. He is doing a "stuffed dog" imitation. Got him in the door by carrying him and that's as far as he would go. It took me several minutes and several pieces of fresh roast chicken to get him to lift his head up. He has actually made eye contact with me once -- briefly -- and I think that is great progress. I have to carry him if I want him somewhere else. He will not respond to coaxing; doesn't understand petting. When I put a leash on him he goes into starfish mode. He is not housebroken. He growls in his sleep. When he is awake his default mode is "if I don't move and don't make any noise and don't look at anyone maybe no one will hurt me".

This one would break my heart if I did not firmly believe that with tender care and patience (and roast chicken and a clicker) he will come out of his shell and be ok, and have a good happy dog life. He is soooo beautiful. I never had a merle before. Please send good thoughts his way; it appears that he has known nothing in his life but a cage and fear.

Oh, and I am open to suggestions for names, too!

:-)

D'Elle

D'Elle,

My warmest and best wishes to you and your new charge. Right now, if I had a dog I would name him "Tardis" - "bigger on the inside" :D , after Smalahundur's comment in another topic.

Maja

D'Elle,

My warmest and best wishes to you and your new charge. Right now, if I had a dog I would name him "Tardis" - "bigger on the inside" :D , after Smalahundur's comment in another topic.

Maja

dr_who_tombaker.jpg

...say what?

I like it!

I have to carry him if I want him somewhere else. He will not respond to coaxing; doesn't understand petting. When I put a leash on him he goes into starfish mode. He is not housebroken. He growls in his sleep. When he is awake his default mode is "if I don't move and don't make any noise and don't look at anyone maybe no one will hurt me".

Poor boy needs to decompress. It's been a traumatic period and he needs time to understand that he is safe. Try not to push him too fast.

My little guy is doing pretty good. He is a marker and not house trained, so we have a job to do there. Today he learned how go up stairs by himself -- up to now, I had to carry him. I also found out that he gets anxious when he hears water running (shower, kitchen sink, etc). He's still picky about food -- wouldn't touch our kibble today, either and I only had one sample bag of the Turkey and Duck. He's got weight to lose, so I may just let him get really hungry. He joined us for our morning walk -- on a coupler with Senneca, who is my leash walking trainer. No issues at all.

I am feeling full of admiration for all of you (and others) who have stepped up to help these poor dogs. No animal deserves what they have gone through. I wish they could all realize just what a bright future awaits them, but they will get that figured out with time.

Very, very best wishes to you all!

I am feeling full of admiration for all of you (and others) who have stepped up to help these poor dogs. No animal deserves what they have gone through. I wish they could all realize just what a bright future awaits them, but they will get that figured out with time.

Very, very best wishes to you all!

Couldn't have said it better, Sue! I've become a big fan of Arizona Border Collie Rescue, and this just confirms their can-do spirit.

The tv news clip was excellent, and I hope it generates support.

Archived