BC Boards

200+ dogs in Texas

More than 200 border collies, from puppies to seniors, are in desperate need of help in Texas. The "breeder" was hospitalized and left all the dogs behind on his acreage. The family has agreed to sign them all over to the Humane Society, but they don't have the resources to manage this volume - BC Rescue Texas is doing what it can. If you can help, please visit their website.

Arizona Border Collie Rescue has also committed to helping in any way they can and they are asking for volunteer drivers and foster homes to help get the dogs from TX to AZ and care for them once they arrive. If you can help, please visit their website.

RDM

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I don't know what to say :( God bless all those that can help. It's so sad see the conditions these dogs are in. What is sadder is the fact that while all these dog need sooooo much time and help that others sitting in shelters will have to wait. It makes me want to cry.

Very sad!

As in all rescue it really helps to make even a small contribution. They have a paypal on their site which makes it easier.

More than 200 border collies, from puppies to seniors, are in desperate need of help in Texas. The "breeder" was hospitalized and left all the dogs behind on his acreage. The family has agreed to sign them all over to the Humane Society, but they don't have the resources to manage this volume - BC Rescue Texas is doing what it can. If you can help, please visit their website.

Arizona Border Collie Rescue has also committed to helping in any way they can and they are asking for volunteer drivers and foster homes to help get the dogs from TX to AZ and care for them once they arrive. If you can help, please visit their website.

RDM

I wonder if ABCA is even aware of this, if so if they would help? And why wasn't this guy investigated already? He did a lot of advertising on puppyfind and stockdog lists. These are/were supposedly ABCA registered dogs. Some from imported ISDS dogs. I did a little searching - Sand Spring Border Collies - John T Wilson in Jefferson TX. Maybe ABCA could cough up a little $ to help with the vetting and transport if nothing else? http://www.puppyfind.com/redirect/?acct_id=102791&list_id=ztyel45w9m

Laurie (back to lurk mode now)

How do we even know they are registered? Or for that matter- are we just to believe what he wrote? I've read several accounts that feel they are mixes. Not that it matters but I really wouldn't believe what the owner wrote.

Do we know it's him?

The news reports I read list the location as Joe Davis Road in Jefferson Texas, and that's his address. Also, on the rescue boards, one of his children is reported to have told the Humane Society that he imported some stud dogs from Ireland, and paid a lot for them when he started the kennel. If you Google his websites, he proudly lists two Irish merle imports as the sire of his pups, and that the pups are ABCA registered/registerable. If you look at RD's website, she has copies of the pedigrees for the Irish dogs, registered to him. Seems pretty unlikely that there would be two Border Collie puppy mills on the same road with Irish Imports, right?

How do we even know they are registered? Or for that matter- are we just to believe what he wrote? I've read several accounts that feel they are mixes. Not that it matters but I really wouldn't believe what the owner wrote.

I am not sure the dogs are mixes as some are shaved, some look smooth coat. I did see 2 merles in the video. I did hear they are undersized I'm taking that to mean the 16 to 18 inch catagory. I did see pics of dogs in raised pens too besides the loose dogs running through the house. We are taking it at face value that the dogs are hw (-) and are what they are. Heck witht ehdogs running loose like that who's to say some dogs didnt sneak on to the property to breed.

^^ my point. If this person was hospitalized for mental reasons why would anyone think that he knew, much less took the time to register pups and dogs? I don't think ABCA should be thrown under the bus as was alluded to. If anything papers should be rescinded on all that carry his name as "breeder" imo.

From the ABCA website.

The ABCA exists to register, maintain and verify the pedigrees of Border Collies, to promote and foster in North America the breeding, training and distribution of reliable working Border Collies, and to promote stockdog trials and exhibitions.

Based on that, there would be no reason for the ABCA to investigate.

Televised news coverage--Disturbing and heartbreaking:

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14390062

ABCR is indeed scrambling to organize a caravan and secure as many foster homes as possible for these dogs. I'm not personally a member of the BC Rescue boards, but I did make contact with Laura, the woman there that posted an offer to help with transport from TX to AZ. All help is appreciated!

Televised news coverage--Disturbing and heartbreaking:

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14390062

Here is a pic of our pregnant female on the road with our driver. I know the news is reporting many mixes but, I really didnt see anything on the video I would brand as an obvious mix. Like our puppies I call border colie bear mixes. They look like blue ticked stuffed animals.post-5554-099478100 1302130204_thumb.jpg

uh regarding the "news" article.... filing teeth down so that a female won't bite the male? Puhleeeeeeze.

oh and on the bcrescue boards a comment was made about with TX being a community property state that it's ok for the wife to sign away the dogs....no, community property doesn't work that way.

i just hope that all the rescues involved are aware and have their legal "i"s and "t"s dotted.

uh regarding the "news" article.... filing teeth down so that a female won't bite the male? Puhleeeeeeze.

oh and on the bcrescue boards a comment was made about with TX being a community property state that it's ok for the wife to sign away the dogs....no, community property doesn't work that way.

i just hope that all the rescues involved are aware and have their legal "i"s and "t"s dotted.

Having a first hand report from the site. The conditions were shocking/amazing Swafford's place was a palace compared.

There are still dogs that are running loose that require humane traps. They had to bulldoze for 1/4 mile to get into this property. (Down trees garbage debris) The dogs were only being provided for once a week. Per the mans statements to the family. Oh and they were getting barbeque scraps from somewhere.

I'm unsure on the crate thing I think that was taken out of context. On the filing thing. Penny's teeth are filed due to her biting. It's not an unheard of practice and it makes the general public sympathetic so I get it.

I dont know what to say to the poster above. I guess everyone should look the other way. I have been in resuce too long and been a rescurer to many of this type of site to believe the I's and T's aren't dotted. We have waited months for dogs who languished or died in shelters waiting for their cases to come up.

^^ my point. If this person was hospitalized for mental reasons why would anyone think that he knew, much less took the time to register pups and dogs? I don't think ABCA should be thrown under the bus as was alluded to. If anything papers should be rescinded on all that carry his name as "breeder" imo.

Journey,

I wasn't throwing ABCA under the bus(your words, not mine). I don't think that the man has always been mentally unstable; I think at first he "thought" he had a good money-making product, that turned into a tragic hoarding situation. I guess my question should have been worded "Why hadn't this guy been turned in and/or investigated by ABCA for his breeding practices before it came to this?". You can't tell me that there weren't some dis-satisfied customers with all the advertising and breeding he was doing. His ads on puppyfind and his websites at least infer that he was selling "ABCA registrable" pups (see link below). I agree that anything he produced in the past year or two (maybe more) ought to be DNA tested and/or papers rescinded. With that large a colony of dogs running loose, there's really no way to have any kind of controlled breeding program. It will be interesting and sad to see how many of the bitches are pregnant when all is said and done.

As an aside, I think it's typical that non-Border Collie folks think anything that isn't Black/White and fluffy must be a mix or an Aussie or Sheltie cross. All the dogs in those pictures and video clips look like Border Collies to me.

Laurie

recent puppyfind link: http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listing/?list_id=hc4m65m3n3&sid=b69451b9aededfd2f1ad7e7e1d340149&back=%2Fl%2F%3Facct_id%3D102791%26country%3D%26state%3D%26page%3D1%26order_by%3D%26back%3D

Journey,

I wasn't throwing ABCA under the bus(your words, not mine). I don't think that the man has always been mentally unstable; I think at first he "thought" he had a good money-making product, that turned into a tragic hoarding situation. I guess my question should have been worded "Why hadn't this guy been turned in and/or investigated by ABCA for his breeding practices before it came to this?". You can't tell me that there weren't some dis-satisfied customers with all the advertising and breeding he was doing. His ads on puppyfind and his websites at least infer that he was selling "ABCA registrable" pups. I agree that anything he produced in the past year or two (maybe more) ought to be DNA tested and/or papers rescinded. With that large a colony of dogs running loose, there's really no way to have any kind of controlled breeding program. It will be interesting and sad to see how many of the bitches are pregnant when all is said and done.

As an aside, I think it's typical that non-Border Collie folks think anything that isn't Black/White and fluffy must be a mix or an Aussie or Sheltie cross. All the dogs in those pictures and video clips look like Border Collies to me.

Laurie

We were told by a rescue friend familiar with feral colonies that they will not allow in other males esp since this has been going on for a while that only border collies would be breeding. I'm not saying in breeding wouldn't be going on but, that it would be border collies. Is it breeding season In Tx? As far as I'm aware there were no puppies on site.

We were told by a rescue friend familiar with feral colonies that they will not allow in other males esp since this has been going on for a while that only border collies would be breeding. I'm not saying in breeding wouldn't be going on but, that it would be border collies. Is it breeding season In Tx? As far as I'm aware there were no puppies on site.

I agree - there wouldn't be strange dogs roaming in without severe consequences. One account I read said they found some dead puppies under a truck. Sad to say, but if the dogs were hungry enough I would not expect to find any live puppies. I don't believe there is a "breeding season" for dogs other than maybe Basenjis. Intact bitches are going to keep coming in season every 6-10 months year round.

I agree - there wouldn't be strange dogs roaming in without severe consequences. One account I read said they found some dead puppies under a truck. Sad to say, but if the dogs were hungry enough I would not expect to find any live puppies. I don't believe there is a "breeding season" for dogs other than maybe Basenjis. Intact bitches are going to keep coming in season every 6-10 months year round.

Here it seems that the dogs are more ruled by the seasons and come in heat around christmas and another time in the year. A few years ago it turned unseasonably warm in Ky and they had massive amounts of puppies in late January early Feb. This year not so much.

I'm hoping that most of the current crop of puppies made it to safety.

I got an email this morning that our caravan (Arizona Border Collie Rescue)should be hopefully leaving on Friday to head to Texas. Hopefully we'll be able to get some relief and some helping hands down there soon. They are going to need a lot of help, 200 dogs is quite the number.

Archived