BC Boards

Rievaulxs first trial

This weekend was Rievaulxs first trial, I started him NADAC as it is such a friendly venue and if there where going to be any problems, being surrounded by people you know helps. I was thrilled, a Q in jumpers and an all round good boy. He was a little stressed by it all but he had fun, we have not been able to practice on full courses for 5 weeks (our trainer is out for a couple of months) so I was thrilled with our performance. We have practiced with mixed jump heights 20" to 26" so he learns to look at jumps not assume as he will be jumping different heights in different venues, so he was a little faster with the jumps only at 20" so at times I miss-judged where I had to be :)

I had so much fun, what a difference playing with a dog who thinks the game is fun, as opposed to Brody who is on his own agenda... Rievaulx is a goof, he is not a very serious collie, but when it is time to focus it becomes all about me, and he will keep going all day if that is what I ask him to do, he makes a great agility partner.

I got lucky - I do not think I could have found a better team mate if I had researched breeders and attempted to find the perfect dog for me, he is a great friend, running partner and up for any silliness I want to try. He filled a huge doggie hole, when my old lady died I did not think I would ever have such a close relationship with a dog - she was my first dog as an adult and would have inflicted serious harm on my behalf, she came close a couple of times. Now Rievaulx is never going to be a bodyguard, he expects me to provide his protection but I adore him so much I almost feel disloyal about Jester.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived