BC Boards

Anyone know about this breeder?

The website says it all, in actions not words - even though they pay lip service to "working" dogs, there's no indication of anything real but an interest in showing dogs and self-promotion.

JMO.

You've been on this board a long time. I'm so surprised that you would consider this breeder. It's very clear that they breed for conformation and show. It says so right there on their page. They're not trying to hide anything. You seem to really want a puppy and that's just fine. If it were me, I would ask the people on this board (many who are pulling for you) to pm with some suggestions for good breeders. It may take more time, but it would be worth the wait. :)

Yes, you're all right, I know. I'm beginning to think there won't be another Border Collie in our life. Being novices, we can't seem to maneuver through the maze of rescues and breeders who aren't really what they say they are, or maybe we want one so badly, we're overlooking the obvious red flags--"conformation", the pictures of the dogs. Ohio doesn't seem to be Border Collie territory. :( I think we were just lucky to get Scooter and maybe we should leave it at that. Thank you all for your input. I value and trust your opinions.

Pam

You might try going to the USBCHA website, looking at the district directors, and finding those for your district (6, I think it is). You can call or email those directors and see if they can possibly put you in touch with a working breeder who is also willing to let the occasional pup go to a non-working home. Other than that, there's also rescue; most rescues I know often have pups, too. Oh, and there *are* plenty of good handlers/breeders of working bred dogs in Ohio,

A

It's only been a month since you euthanized your dog - it's not as though you've been endlessly searching for a great length of time. In fact, as far as I can see, you've been looking for a border collie for about two whole weeks. You only just contacted rescue about that litter of pups not even a week ago.

Maybe you need to stop making it a race against the clock and / or throwing yourself into every 'possibility' you stumble across on the internet so you can be let down over and over again. Just relax and take your time and the right dog will come along. You seem to be setting yourself up to wallow in your misery of "not being able to find a border collie in Ohio" (and yet there are an awful lot of border collies in Ohio) so maybe you're not actually ready for another dog yet.

Just a thought.

RDM

Have you looked at these rescues?

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH480.html -Indian Summers Border Collie Rescue, Ohio

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/PA532.html -Friends of Pep Border Collie Rescue, Ohio

http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/sbcr.htm -Glen Highland Farm Border Collie Rescue, NY (I personally love this rescue even though it may be far for you)

Browse through Petfinder or contact others who would know of legit breeders in your area. Don't limit yourself to your immediate area either. I drove 5 hours to get my boy and I wouldn't trade him for anything. You'll know when you find the right dog so give it time. It's a big commitment and worth the wait.

Tried searching the name for anyone having posted about them (negative or positive) but nothing came up.

Here's the link:

http://www.ammardankennels.com/home.htm

Thanks!

http://www.working-border-collie.com/ Ohio is the home of the Working Border Collie magazine, owned by a top Open trialer. Doesn't get much closer to you than the same state. There are ads in there for real working breeders and sometimes pups for sale. If you happen upon any websites listed in this magazine I suspect you should soon learn the difference between these ads and the link you posted. So very different.

Good luck in your search.

Pam, in the gentlest way possible, I'd love to suggest you slow down and breathe. There are so many dogs out there who need homes. IF you want to rescue, that is. But the process may take time. If you've got specifics in mind, you will have to wait until the right dog comes along. Putting in applications and getting pre-approved is absolutely the right step. Waiting is hard, but it's the next step. Your next border collie IS out there, I promise. And you know what? It may not even the the dog you think it's *supposed* to be.

As for going with a breeder, if that's what you want to do, please keep Anna and C Crocker's advice in mind. I would not consider a puppy from the breeder you linked.

It's only been a month since you euthanized your dog - it's not as though you've been endlessly searching for a great length of time. In fact, as far as I can see, you've been looking for a border collie for about two whole weeks. You only just contacted rescue about that litter of pups not even a week ago.

Maybe you need to stop making it a race against the clock and / or throwing yourself into every 'possibility' you stumble across on the internet so you can be let down over and over again. Just relax and take your time and the right dog will come along. You seem to be setting yourself up to wallow in your misery of "not being able to find a border collie in Ohio" (and yet there are an awful lot of border collies in Ohio) so maybe you're not actually ready for another dog yet.

Just a thought.

RDM

I think you're probably right. I need to just relax and let this go for a while. When the time is right, it will happen. :)

I need to just relax and let this go for a while. When the time is right, it will happen. :)

I can imagine how much you're longing for the warm presence of your next border collie. Don't rush things, and you WILL be rewarded. We are pulling for you. Deep breath now! And do submit applications to the good rescues within your range.

http://www.working-border-collie.com/ Ohio is the home of the Working Border Collie magazine, owned by a top Open trialer. Doesn't get much closer to you than the same state. There are ads in there for real working breeders and sometimes pups for sale. If you happen upon any websites listed in this magazine I suspect you should soon learn the difference between these ads and the link you posted. So very different.

Good luck in your search.

Sorry to add complications to what is pretty good advice from Carolyn.....however, the breeders listings at Working Collie Magazine is not a 'vetted' or 'pre-qualified' working breeder listing. These are ads posted for a fee. Some of the listings are for some of the highest quality well respected working breeders in the country (including the owners of the magazine). However, I know that some of these listings are for breeders that are as bad or worse than worst discussed on these Boards.

I do like Anna's recommendation to contact some USBCHA directors (or ABCA directors, too) in your region....or the owners of the Working Border Collie magazine. These are all well regarded leaders in the working border collie world.

Also, you might consider attending a regional sheepdog trial (check out the LOLBCA or USBCHA websites) and talk to people there. Even if you don't want to train your pup on stock, wouldn't it be kind of neat to see a parent of your future pup actually working and competing?? I think it would give you a great experience and understanding of your future pups parentage and appreciation for the care that went into breeding.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and words of encouragement. I need the gentle reminders, from people more experienced in these matters than I am, to go slow and do my homework, that it hasn't been that long, that things will work out if I don't get in my own way.

My head tells me to take time to heal physically and emotionally before I bring a new puppy into our home. But, my heart totally disagrees with my head. There's a constant battle going on between the two. I'd say it's a tie most of the time. :rolleyes:

Once again, the members of the board have rallied round, lifted me up and given some very sound advice. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Pam

Pam, I know precisely how you feel. When I lost my little Skye at six months old, my arms just ached for a pup (or dog) to fill them - it must have been the hole in my heart crying out to be filled.

I understand your wanting to get a pup and find a breeder, really I do. But I also know from personal experience that there are some great, great dogs (and pups and youngsters) in rescue that need a home now, so I hope you don't rule that out as an option.

Very best wishes!

Your next border collie IS out there, I promise. And you know what? It may not even the the dog you think it's *supposed* to be.

Totally agree with this.

No new dog should be a replacement for a dog lost. Every dog is a dog in its own right and keeping an open mind can bring wonderful results. (Hence why the small medium coated drop eared bitch we were looking for turned out to be a leggy short coated dog with one ear up and one down.)

Once again, the members of the board have rallied round, lifted me up and given some very sound advice. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Pam

Good for you Pam....

Hugs....

I know for a fact that to rescue a border collie in Oh is simple. We get tons of requests we cant help due to the trip across central Pa being difficult to fill. If you holding strict to an 8 week old pure bred puppy well that might be difficult but, not impossible.

We also pull our dogs out of WV and Ky but, have pulled from many other places around you. The down side of taking directly from the pound will be the risk of illness due to the parents not being vaccinated and well anything that is communal will have disease.

I would wait take recommendations for the right pup.

Currently Friends of Pep only has smooth coat mixes in older pups and adults. One really cool Blue male but, he is 2ish.

Bruce and Linda Fogt are having a trial in July in Sidney if you can wait that long. I have a 10 year old female that the owner had to give up when they had to leave their house. She is a very healthy well behaved dog. Try Try Dave Jenkins Hillside Border Collies. He's been breeding and training for over thirty years, or Bruce and Lind Fogt, or Claudia Frank .

Kevin Brannon

Archived