BC Boards

Holding it

We picked up Tessie, our new rescue (2 years old), on Saturday afternoon. For 36 hours, no number 1 or number two, then finally, some relief (at 1:18am...and she did let us know it was time to go outside).

Since then, for three days now, we are only seeing her go once a day, in the afternoons after we get home from work. We'll get a number one and a number two, and that's it for 24 hours.

She's on an antiobiotic for a bite she got in rescue, and also, we figure the stress of the new situation is contributing. She was in rescue for 6 months or so, and bounced around before landing in a shelter before that.

Anyone have experience with something similar?

We picked up Tessie, our new rescue (2 years old), on Saturday afternoon. For 36 hours, no number 1 or number two, then finally, some relief (at 1:18am...and she did let us know it was time to go outside).

Since then, for three days now, we are only seeing her go once a day, in the afternoons after we get home from work. We'll get a number one and a number two, and that's it for 24 hours.

She's on an antiobiotic for a bite she got in rescue, and also, we figure the stress of the new situation is contributing. She was in rescue for 6 months or so, and bounced around before landing in a shelter before that.

Anyone have experience with something similar?

For about a month Hestia, one of our fosters, refused to go anyplace other than our back yard. We'd drive out, take a nice long hike and then we'd have to rush her through the house as soon as we got home. I only ever saw her go elsewhere once...at an all day adoption event in Flagstaff. She looked stressed and almost embarassed. :huh:

If she's going at least once per day, I'd think it's ok for now. She is likely pretty stressed and some dogs are quite particular where they go. The antibiotics may even have something to do with the lack of stool? Change in food also? Make sure she's eating and drinking properly and I'm sure it will all work out. I had one foster who would only go on a walk and I had another one who was semi-feral and did not go for 3 days while at the vet. As soon as he got into my car, he let it all go. Likely out of fear at that point.

My female border is notorious for that...she will not go anywhere but her own backyard. She held it for 18 hours on an overnight agility trip and she finally gave in and went in the hotel's yard. Taser is a rescue dog as well so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Angie

We're enjoying this youngster for sure. We had a previous border collie, Gracie, for 14+ years, adopted her from relatives that couldn't manage the energy. Then we took in a stray, Sofie, that we also had for 14 years. We finally lost Gracie to renal failure, and kept a blog on that experience, in case you are interested, here: http://graciedawg.wordpress.com

There was never any doubt we'd get a bc rescue when the time was finally right again.

We're going to give Tessie some time to adapt to her new forever home and then see if we need a second dog to keep her company during the day.

I have dogs that need their privacy. They won't go if on a short leash. Or sometimes when I'm watching.

I have others that will only go in certain spots. THey will mark other spots but prefer to relieve themselves in one spot.

Give her some time and a bit of privacy. I'm sure she'll figure things out.

Welcome to the boards and thank you for rescuing your sweet girl.

Ladybug was like that when we first brought her home, oh those many years ago -- Over 24 hours later, though she was very shy and scared, she was very ball-focused so we took her outside and started to play ball with her. Once she began to fetch, either (or both!) her bladder couldn't stand the activity or she forgot to "hold it" and Niagara Falls let go....after that, she was okay...

Liz

When we first drove from Denver to Phoenix Ceana absolutely refused to go the entire time.(15-16hrs) Once she became relaxed in her new home she was more comfortable with going more often. She still will only go twice a day sometimes. She has a bladder of steel! I think going potty is a comfort factor for some.

We're a week in and things are starting to get into a routine. We are getting twice a day "results" with more frequent number ones. And she actually did a number one in a friends yard yesterday, where a younger neutered male golden lives. Progress. :) Thanks all for the encouragement.

Archived