BC Boards

Sponsorships for 2011 National Finals

Sue R

It's that time of year again, when the Finals for both Cattle Dogs and Sheep Dogs are looming on the horizon, and it's time to try and get some sponsorships for dog/handler teams.

The sponsorships for both Finals are $125 per dog/handler team this year, making the math much easier than last year. Five people, at only $25 each, can support the Finals and a dog/handler team.

Last year, the teams that were sponsored included individuals who participate in and contribute to these boards - but I'm always open for suggestions. Of course, for Cattle Dog Finals, I'm always leaning towards Anna Guthrie (and this year, her little Raskle, littermate to my Dan, will be running in Nursery). She's also planning on running Riddle (Dan's mom) and Tikkle (Dan's half-sister) in Open. It's practically a Danny-boy reunion, and I know I'd love to help with some support.

And then there are the Sheep Dog Finals, and we probably will have several board members that we could choose to support, particularly our own Robin French, with her Bill and Zac, who did us so proud at the Belle Grove Finals last fall.

So, please reply here, PM me, or send me an email at susan dot rayburn at gmail dot com, if you'd like to show your support for the working Border Collie in North America in this way again this year!

I've already received a couple of commitments but forgot to mention that anyone who wants to, should specify Cattle Dog, Sheep Dog, or either as needed.

And feel free to make suggestions as to whom you might like to sponsor.

Thanks!

I'm bumping this up in case people have missed it before.

Sponsoring a dog/handler team is a great way to support the working-bred and proven Border Collie (and those that breed and train these dogs) by helping to support the Finals and show our appreciation for those that contribute to these boards.

I'm bumping this up one more time as I would like to send off any Cattle Dog sponsorships in March, since that Finals is held in May.

Thanks to those who have privately responded. Please make your check out to me as I will put them all in the bank and make just a single check for each Finals. Please send $25 for each group sponsorship you would like to be part of (so, if you are doing both Cattle Dog and Sheep Dog, a total of $50). You may send your check to:

Sue Rayburn

871 Cale Rd

Bruceton Mills WV 26525-5249

I really appreciate all those who have supported the Finals in both venues over the years. Every little bit helps, and our support for the working Border Collie is always a benefit, I truly believe.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have made a commitment to help sponsor a sheepdog or cattledog team, please send your checks to me. Send me a PM if you need my address. Please make the check out to me.

I need to send the cattledog sponsorship out shortly, and would like to send the sheepdog sponsorship out at about the same time as I think I have received all the commitments I am going to get during these difficult financial times.

Thanks to all for your support - you know who you are! I appreciate those who would like to also lend a hand but just can't for one reason or another. Your heart is in the right place, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up one very last time - I have received enough from fellow group sponsors that a second sheepdog sponsorship can be made if I can get just two more $25 commitments. Thanks to several people who sent in extra, we had more than enough for a cattledog sponsorship (and I sent that one off for Anna Guthrie and Raskle, who just happen to be Dan's breeder and his little sister, running in Nursery) and a sheepdog sponsorship (by popular demand, the first one will be for Robin French and Bill).

Any suggestions for a second sponsorship team, should I get those few additional commitments that I need, would be most appreciated!

Thanks again to all those who have already been supportive of both Finals by sending their checks.

Thanks, Linda, if I get *just one more* at $25, I will let you know and we can make it happen! Hint, hint, to anyone interested who is contemplating...

It has been suggested that our second sheepdog finals sponsorship would very appropriately for Bob Stephens, who has so generously given of his time and expertise in our recent "Ask the Expert" columns. I think that's a great idea and if I can get just one more contributor at $25, we can do that. Anybody up for it?

Thanks to one more generous offer, it looks like we will be able to sponsor two teams at the National Sheepdog Finals - one will be Robin and Bill, and the other will be (tentatively) Bob Stephens and one of his dogs. Thanks to both Robin and Bob for their contributions to these boards, and especially to Bob for his recent stint as our resident "Ask the Expert".

Thank you all! As soon as I receive the last few checks, I will get these sent off.

• 1 month later...

Just to let those of you who helped sponsor Anna and Raskle in the Nursery class at the 2011 National Cattledog Finals, it is now official that Raskle is the 2011 Reserve Champion!

Congrats to Anna and Raskle on a job well done!

I have absolutely no other results - Anna texted me her good news earlier today. I guess that's a benefit of being "part of the family". I am watching to see all the results when they are posted.

Thanks to you, Linda, and her other sponsors!

• 1 month later...

If any of you who have contributed to a sheepdog sponsorship for 2011 are going to be able to attend the Finals at Strang Ranch near Carbondale CO, please PM me.

I have Lynn (Alchemist), Vicki (Wildflower), Linda (Dixie Girl), Kathy Flynn (all for Robin) and Ben (Northfield Nick), Sam Rector, Jan (Shoresdog), and Linda (Dixie Girl, again!) (all for Bob Stephens) on my list.

As a part of our sponsorship, we get some "goodies" so, if any of you are going, please let me know and I can let you know what is available for you to use/enjoy from the packet we get as "a sponsor".

• 3 months later...

As part of our sponsorship "benefits", a beautiful portrait of each of our two teams was mailed to me. Since I can't divide a photo up five ways, I am sending on the photos to our two sponsored handlers - but I'd like to share these lovely pictures with you, those who sponsored these teams (and anyone else who would enjoy seeing them). These photos are by Ellen Robinson, and you can view more of her photos at www.erphoto8.com.

First, Robin French and Bill. Robin has long been a member of these boards, and we were fortunate enough to sponsor her with Zac in 2010, and now her with Bill in 2011. She's always been a good person, and willing to share. She's an up-and-coming handler who has really put in the effort and miles to gain experience and progress. I've been proud to be a friend.

2011NationalSheepdogFinalsRobinandBill2.jpg

And second, Bob Stephens and Pat. Bob has been the "Ask the Expert", where he always gave caring, extensive answers to questions. He's also been a judge at major trials like the Bluegrass (where I met him a few years ago) and a respected competitor in Canada and the US. His big smile gives you a hint of his warm and friendly, helpful nature.

2011NationalSheepdogFinalsBobStephensandPat2.jpg

These are two handler/dog teams that, despite their not having the success at the 2011 National Sheepdog Finals that they would have liked, made me proud to be part of their sponsorship.

What was awesome, Laura, was the fantastic job that people like yourself did to put on a fabulous Finals! Kudos to you and all those that made it happen wonderfully!

Thank you SO much again for organizing this, Sue! I've had a blast both years I've chipped in to sponsor someone. It was lots of fun to have additional "rooting interests" during the trials leading up to the Finals even before I got a chance to meet Robin (and Bill). Of course it contributed to my delinquency; I found I became a compulsive "refresher" on FB and on websites during major trials. Once I had the pleasure of meeting Robin, I knew you couldn't have selected a nicer person, which just added to the fun. (Not that this stopped me from rooting for ALL my friends, mind you!).

None of this would have happened without your motive force, so thank you, Sue!!!

Archived