BC Boards

help ..bc chasing cars-trucks by road

Barbe

We are owners of a 5 month old border collie. She is doing pretty good with our livestock (goats) and she is responding to training with the livestock really good. However,we are having a major problem with her chasing all vehicles by the blacktop in front of our farmstead. She refuses to listen to any command while she is fixed on chasing. Runs away from us when we try to catch her until we press her for the down command.

Question?

Would it be advisable to use a shock collar to correct this problem? We're afraid she'll get hurt a lot more if she continues to chase cars and trucks. If we use a training collar, what kind is best for these dogs?

Anyone who can help-advise us would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hate to sound harsh, but why is a 5month old puppy off lead anywhere near the road?

A shock coller in my opinion is a last resort. Can you put her back on lead until her commands are solid? I have heard of people sitting in the back of a truck and hurling a soda can filled with pennies at the dog. Not hitting it, but making a frieghtening noise. In your case however, you have not fixed the problem of charging towards the street.

Is your yard fenced? Is she slipping under the fence? Out an open gate?

We did resort to a electric fence across the upper part of our driveway. She hasn't challenged the fence since her first encounter and we haven't used jucie to the fence all week. Yesterday she found her way into the pasture and ran the fence from inside. Within a short time she managed to find a way out of the fenced pasture back along side of the blacktop road and proceeded to run cars etc. She detests being tied up and we would really like for her to have some freedom as long as she knows her boundaries. We have had a border collie some years ago and never encountered the chase vehicles trick. In so many ways she is learning very fast except this car thing. I think (know) she is smarter than we are and she is challenging our authority on this to the max! I'm no match on catching up to her on her max running speed! Years ago my husband used a heavy duty fish line reel and pole to to reinforce the down command with our border collie while working with sheep until she understood. I might look a little funny down by the road doing this, but maybe this would work.

Thanks

Doubtful you will have time to use "tricks" to train this young dog. Unfortunately at the rate it sounds like you are going you will be picking her broken body up off the side of the road. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you need a reality check. A 5 month old puppy loose and chasing cars is a recipe for death.

WWBC

I agree about the 5 month old part. She is still a puppy and needs to solid up her "obedience commands", first.

Keep in mind that shock fences and collars are only a temporary "fix". Once the dog decides that she will tolerate the shock (and she will), to get what she wants... it works no more! Also, if she goes past the shock fence to get to the road/cars... she may decide it is definately not worth the shock to come back and now you have a lost dog..

I don't understand the rush since she is only 5 months old. I know it is hard to slow these BC's down on their training because they are sooo smart and beg for more learning and we can't help but want to do more and more and more!!, but for you I would really work on her recall, down and or stop commands first and foremost.

In my training classes if I get a puppy or dog that is totally zoning out recall.. I have the students work on watch me/listen to me, or stops and downs first, on loooooong leads.

Slow down your training let her also be a puppy, all work and no play makes for a frustrated doggy in the long run!

Good luck.... and please slooooooow down and get that recall or stop rock solid!!! before being off lead period!! Being off lead should be a reward (in the future) not a given.

Are you crate training also??

Agreed with everyone above.

When I got my dog she was very chase orientated. Her sister had been hit doing the same thing, chasing cars.

I started my making her lay at the road and watching the cars go by. As she started to ignore them, big praise/reward. Now I can leave her alone and she will not mess with the cars. Motorcycles and bikes are another story.

Slow it down, and start easy and in control.

Originally posted by Barbe:

[ She detests being tied up and we would really like for her to have some freedom as long as she knows her boundaries. "

Border Collies DO NOT deserve freedom

They are genetically geared with instincts; brains and drive---to NOT be trusted with freedom.

For your stocks sake; your neighbors sake and the dogs sake. Get this idea of freedom out of your head.

Maybe much latter you can dole out some freedom for short periods-- But NEVER EVER at night--thats just being a responcible owner for your neighbors sake.

And she will get over detesting being confined-- it will actually turn into her comfort zone.

In VERY RARE cases-- there is a use for a shock collar-- But...... you aren't even close to qualifiying for that to be a viable thought.

Confine your dog and put some effort into teaching it to behave on command/demand-- so you can have it loose while you are supervising it.

Five months is way too young to let any dog have that kind of freedom. She's just a youngster and just like a youngster she needs guidelines and boundaries set.

My suggestions:

1. Don't let her out of the house unsupervised.

2. Don't let her off leash in unsafe areas. This includes your yard. Put her on a long line - this will give her some freedom to run but also give you a way to teach her to come when called and teach yard boundaries.

3. Enroll her and you in a good general obedience class so she can learn the basics - sit, stay, come and to listen to you .

4. Don't use a shock collar. IMHO these collars should only be used by professionals with impeccable sense of timing and, IMHO, I've not met this person yet. What I have seen are dogs that were trained by shock collars who are neurological messes (I'm not a big fan of underground or electric fences either).

5. Teach her to ignore cars. I like Keith's suggestion.

6. Don't give your girl so much freedom. It only teaches her to do what she wants, when she wants and to ignore you.

I do some consults for rescues and privately see families in their homes, and one of the biggest reasons for their problems with their dogs is letting the dog have too much freedom and not setting fair, consistent guidelines and rules for the dog. In one recent case the dog took this freedom and began to harass the neighbor's livestock, then the neighbor, then any guests that came into the house. Needless to say, this dog is no longer in its home.