BC Boards

How Can I Get My Dog To Look Like This?

I met two Australian show "borders" whilst walking on the beach here, and believe me, they are REALLY different looking. They looked like the stuffed animal version of border collies! They were very pleasant calm dogs, but they didn't seem like border collies to me. I did see the Westminster herding dog championship this morning on USA due to channel flipping. The tailless corgi looked crippled, as did the GSD. The Terv was really nice looking, as were the Belgian shepherd and the Malinois. I can see why they are the go-to dogs for the military now. They actually look sound! And if he weren't a bit on the plump side, the Canaan dog looked like a good one too. The bearded collie won, and you could imagine that there was a nice dog underneath the ridiculous swishingly huge coat. He looked like he'd been groomed with Pantene ultra-shiny conditioner! I guess the Westminster absurdithon is our annual entertainment, eh. :lol:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off the thread of discussion, but as others have mentioned, there is a dog in the video that strikes me as not-so-atrocious. I'd actually think he was downright adorable if he showed up in rescue. He's at about 4:20 left in the video. Longer legs, less coat, back still flat as a table but... maybe it was his gay tail but I thought he actually had some spirit in his eyes.

Of course he didn't place (I don't think) but maybe there are some judges out there NOT giving priority to fat, overfluffed dogs. Still doesn't solve the problem, but at least there's a dog there not so overdone.

I think the one with the gay tail looked a bit more like a border collie to me than the rest. I'd never want to own a border that looked like that. Where's the prick ears (I'm a sucker for prick ears) and the intense expression and the creeping that a real border collie does? The show ones make me think of aussies with all that coat (allthough our aussie is more working bred and has less coat than any of those dogs there).

I dunno... There was one dog toward the end of the class - high on the leg, not very heavy flat coat and a perfectly enormous tail. He was leaner than the puff-balls. His handler was a large woman in a sort of red skirt and jacket. At least he looked alive. I'd give him sofa room. Sad to see him in such a context.

Oh my is kyrah related to Cressa? ! Lol while cress get bathed and groom her preferred state is black. And unless I am careful after baths she will go out of her way to get dirty asap.

Look at the dog at about 4:40 on the countdown. It is an example of the alarming trend I am seeing in show bred Border Collies; very short, heavy boned and wide. They look like some sort of Corgi cross. I've seen dogs built like this try to work sheep, but they can't run fast enough to cover if the stock decides to make a break for it.

Okay guys, I have to chime in :blink:

I actually have a "Barbie Collie". Bandit was dumped by his "breeder :angry: " at 4 month old because she could not sell him and had another litter on the ground.

Bandit has zero herding instinct ( ask Pam Wolf who told me i would be lucky to get him to circle 4 sheep in my roundpen once).

BUT I love the dickens out of the little guy :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Well...it's good to see that some things never change....the yearly Westminster thread! :)

Mommyhood to a 2 legged puppy has taken over my life and I'm too sleep deprived to even jump into the mix. :lol:

Ciaoooo

Maria

Hey Maria! So glad you showed up! To me, it wasn't the "true" annual Westminster thread without you!

Yeah, well, I'm pretty worthless at this point. The dogs love the child and that is all that matters...their fluffiness, or lack thereof, no longer matters to me. I'm sure I'll get my brain back at some point but for now it's blissfully gone.

Good seeing you!

• 3 weeks later...

Should be interesting when our next lot of beginners start agility in October.

We have one young BC starting that is show bred (line notorious for heavy coat) and chases anything that moves. First BC for the couple and they'd been warned not to get a farm dog. They travelled a couple of hundred miles for that one, which may not sound much but it's a long way on our little island.

Another young BC on the list is one of a litter bred by a local trialler who only breeds when she wants another dog herself. Kept 2 pups and sold the rest. A journey of no more than 2 miles to get that pup.

No idea what it looks like and don't care.

Which would I prefer? Let me think - an overly hairy dog that probably drives off its front end and doesn't know what to do with its rear or one that knows it has a leg at each corner and uses them appropriately? Making assumptions here but that's my experience.

Pam

Should be interesting when our next lot of beginners start agility in October...Which would I prefer? Let me think - an overly hairy dog that probably drives off its front end and doesn't know what to do with its rear or one that knows it has a leg at each corner and uses them appropriately? Making assumptions here but that's my experience.

Pam

Good example!

• 3 months later...

I have a cookie cutter border collie who's parents were NZ Australian champs (I live in New Zealand so she was the only border collie puppy I knew of at the time). I got my second border collie from a farm, father sheepherding trial winner, ISDS, papers etc... I think the farmer couldn't find all herding homes and gave the last two to non farm homes. Anyway, they are very different, Farm border collie is tall skinny funny spots ticking on his coat, pointy nose, long legs. The cookie cutter NZ bred show dog looks just like the ones in the video, But she is better at agility and was easier to train then the farm bred ISDS border collie. However, even though she is fantastic at agility she physically overheats too easily, and she is fat even though I only feed her as much as a cat, so if she is fat she can't jump. So, I feel like the breeders have really screwed her up. All the show border collies in New Zealand always look fat. Both of them hardly ever bark.

I have a cookie cutter border collie who's parents were NZ Australian champs (I live in New Zealand so she was the only border collie puppy I knew of at the time). I got my second border collie from a farm, father sheepherding trial winner, ISDS, papers etc... I think the farmer couldn't find all herding homes and gave the last two to non farm homes. Anyway, they are very different, Farm border collie is tall skinny funny spots ticking on his coat, pointy nose, long legs. The cookie cutter NZ bred show dog looks just like the ones in the video, But she is better at agility and was easier to train then the farm bred ISDS border collie. However, even though she is fantastic at agility she physically overheats too easily, and she is fat even though I only feed her as much as a cat, so if she is fat she can't jump. So, I feel like the breeders have really screwed her up. All the show border collies in New Zealand always look fat. Both of them hardly ever bark.

Have you tested either one or both on sheep? Just curious. :)

I would like to see what is underneath their coats. They look over-weight, and too big boned. I don't find this attractive. But I see this a lot in confirmation dogs of certain breeds-they've lost their beautiful athletic build that allows them to function in the job that they were originally breed to do.

Archived