BC Boards

Jump Cups

Define "cheap". We just made 30 pvc jumps and used jump cups strips that cost us about $12 a set (bulk order). I think they run about $15 a set when not bought in quantity. Nice thing is they are guaranteed so if one breaks, you can get a replacement. They also have all the jump heights on them for all venues. So far, they are the best that we have had.

http://www.clipandgoagility.com/jump-cup-strips-dog-agility/index.htm

Actually, I was looking for a couple sets of the 1" clip on single cups. I'm only going to make a single jump, or at most two. I just want to practice in the back yard.

Cheap as in affordable for a state employee who's had his pay cut to where he's making less than he did 15 years ago.

i got mine on ebay. they were very reasonably priced at the time. i don't see the seller on there right now, but you could keep an eye on it.

The Clip-n-Go jump strips are a no-brainer for anyone who thinks they'll need to work with multiple jump heights. But if you only are working one dog (or multiple dogs of similar size), then I'd probably just do the homemade jump cups.

But really, I love having fully adjustable jumps, as I don't always jump my dogs at full height.

Mine are similar to JohnLoydJones, but I did not think about just screwing the Ts to the uprights, I carefully cut the uprights into pieces, and created uprights with the built in Ts at fixed regulation heights. Fiddly but it worked and much less expensive than buying cups.

For my next jumps I am going to use wood and was thinking about using the pvc caps, cut them in half and screw to the wooden jump standard.

Clean run also sells them: http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=1191&ParentCat=307&string=clip%20and%20go%20jump%20cups

They are $14.95 per pair with a discount of $2 for additional pairs.

I have purchased the singles on EBay pretty cheap. But next time I will purchase the strips as that would make adjustments easier.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been putting a jump together today, and got stuck at the jump cups. I'm not handy and short on cash, so all the DIY ways were not good choices for me. I just went to the grocery store and bought two big chip clips, then secured them with rubber bands on the uprights. Cheap, but effective. I'll eventually buy jump cups, but these will do for now.

Over the years I have come to appreciate furniture grade PVC, it seems to last longer (no UV degradation and broken fittings), its more attractive and the fittings are easier to use. Patios to go sells jump kits to make 4 jumps for a reasonable price, including snap on jump cups. Mine are several years old, live outside year round and still look brand new.

http://store.patiostogo.com/dog-jump-kit--34-inch--box-o.html

I have made my own jump cups using a pvc tee and a wire saw. each tee makes 2 cups. first put the tee in a vise, then cut the tee in half thru the middle opening, making 2 identical pieces. here you have created he cup. now cut the "back" off the piece not quite 50%, more like cutting off 40%. now you have made the clip to push on to the pvc stanchion.

I made my own cups using a PVC tee as well but I remade all my jumps and bought single clip on cups which worked out much cheaper than the PVC tees and are easier to use, as I usually train on my own it's not a pain only having one option, I did put electrical tape marking the different jump heights so I can move them if I want to work on a lower height. I also used 3/4" PVC not as stout but much cheaper for multiple jumps and work for practise jumps.