BC Boards

metronidazole without a prescription

alligande

I see that several alternative anti-diarrhea treatments have been suggested so I will add a couple more - please note, I use these only when the dog is otherwise alert and healthy, if the dog is sluggish or otherwise looks sick, I go to the vet.

The rehab vet I use is also into organic, holistic treatments. She recommends using a 1:1 mixture of mashed white and sweet potato. Use about a cup.

I also like a product called BioSponge (made by Platinum Performance and sold by several distributors). It is marketed as an intestinal adsorbent that supports healthy intestinal function. It is an activated clay product that non-specifically adsorbs toxins, etc. in the intestine and can help control diarrhea.

Jovi

I know I sound like a broken record ;-) but I really suggest you try keeping coconut on hand for stomach upset or diarrhea. There is a thread where I posted a study that found coconut to be more effective than both Metro. and Fenbend. for GI upsets and/or cases of giardia. All my trialing buddies that I've turned on to it swear by it now, and always keep some on hand at home and on the road. It clears up the loosies almost immdediatly, and if your dog has an upset stomach, eating grass etc...a handful of flaked coconut and they're good as new within the hour. Either flaked (no sugar) or the cold pressed oil, works. Also gives the benefit of a super nice coat ;-)

Betty

I know I sound like a broken record ;-) but I really suggest you try keeping coconut on hand for stomach upset or diarrhea. There is a thread where I posted a study that found coconut to be more effective than both Metro. and Fenbend. for GI upsets and/or cases of giardia. All my trialing buddies that I've turned on to it swear by it now, and always keep some on hand at home and on the road. It clears up the loosies almost immdediatly, and if your dog has an upset stomach, eating grass etc...a handful of flaked coconut and they're good as new within the hour. Either flaked (no sugar) or the cold pressed oil, works. Also gives the benefit of a super nice coat ;-)

Betty

Interesting as years ago I bought coconut oil to "top" their dog food (as I read it was a great to increase endurance) and ALL my dogs got the "runs". I didn't try the flaked only the oil (that was hard unless warmed).

I'm curious to try out the coconut, thanks for the suggestion.

The reason I cautioned against overuse of metro is not everyone realizes it's an antibiotic. A friend of mind didn't and was giving it quite frequently as a treatment for diarrhea regardless of cause. And yes, according to a vet friend, antibiotic resistance can occur in dogs.

There have been some interesting suggestions, next time one of the dogs has a problem I will try some of the ideas. Rave I actually did not realize metronidazole was an antibiotic till I googled it. I just do not believe in using a lot of medication for myself or dogs so had not run into trouble. Plus I was hoarding my very limited supply.

If your dogs got the runs from the oil, you probably gave them the plain old cheap cooking coconut oil. It needs to be cold pressed virgin oil (so all the good stuff hasn't be heat processed out) . The coconut oil also stays solid below 72 degrees, I just take a tablespoon and dollop it onto their feed. This morning my Mike dog was having a little stomach upset, very noisy gut, gave him a handful of the flaked coconut, and within min. he was better...amazing stuff I tell ya! Oh, and if you can't find the thread, the Coconut is also anti viral, anti microbial and anti fungal. I suggest you google coconut oil and do some research on your own, pretty amazing what all it's good for.

B

If your dogs got the runs from the oil, you probably gave them the plain old cheap cooking coconut oil. It needs to be cold pressed virgin oil (so all the good stuff hasn't be heat processed out) . The coconut oil also stays solid below 72 degrees, I just take a tablespoon and dollop it onto their feed. This morning my Mike dog was having a little stomach upset, very noisy gut, gave him a handful of the flaked coconut, and within min. he was better...amazing stuff I tell ya! Oh, and if you can't find the thread, the Coconut is also anti viral, anti microbial and anti fungal. I suggest you google coconut oil and do some research on your own, pretty amazing what all it's good for.

B

Mine was called Tropical Traditions coconut cream concentrate. It was a jar that looked like white lard (solid unless I melted it). Says' 100% pure natural coconut oil (but not virgin ... maybe I needed a virgin :@)? Can you tell I'm a "hoarder" and don't throw anything away - I bought two jars and threw the one I had opened out but kept the unopened one :@)

I had done research on it and that's why I bought it because I liked the befits I read about - but like I said didn't have good luck.

What's the name of the one you use?

The one I use is a local brand from our grocery store (we're in Texas) it's also cert. organic...You said yours was coconut cream? Did it have anything else in it besides coconut? YOu might try your healthfood store as well, they usually have a pretty good selection of C oil. And yes, at low temps. the oil will look like lard in the jar.

The coconut is also excellent for lambs with scours (any animal for that matter) and it's a great boost to a lambs immune system, as C oil contains Lauric acid, same thing found in mothers milk. I give it to my sheep as well..it's actually supposed to have some de worming properties...I'm going to experiment a little with that...I plan on trying it in my garden this year, as a natural pesticide....I think I'll try it in conjunction with orange oil, see what I come up with LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Betty

do you have any links that i can read more up on this? how much would you put in the food? my dog is 40-45#. He also has been going through on and off diarrhea (all lab test normal/negative). He randomly gets it sometimes from a bully stick or sometimes from a treat. even though he always eats them.

Thanks!!!

• 8 years later...