BC Boards

Looking for BC pups in Ohio

Moms Critters, Garrettsville, OH •440-548-2698 has a 5 month old deaf Blue Merle for rescue. I would take her but we just rehomed a rescue in early December and can't take another dog right now. Our deaf border collie is the best dog ever...and most people can't believe he has a hearing problem. If you have a little extra time she might work out for you...Greg

We have a deaf dog, one who lost her hearing over some time at around 5 years old. She is an excellent pet and most people could not tell she was deaf. And there are lots of resources for working with and training a deaf dog.

Oh there's a million. I'll start.

1. Advertises on places such as puppyfind.com, puppiesanddogsforsale.com, puppysites.com, qualitydogs.com, etc.

Next ...?

I don't know. This just seems like keeping up with the 21st century. I don't think there has to be anything inherently wrong with advertising that you're a breeder on those sites. The first thing anyone (under the age of 30) does when they want information on something is go to the internet.

2. Their dogs have accomplished nothing in the world of herding (or anywhere else for that matter). Which is fine, except these aren't just companion dogs, they're breeding them and most likely creating more mediocre border collies.

I think you have a fair point here.

Moms Critters, Garrettsville, OH •440-548-2698 has a 5 month old deaf Blue Merle for rescue. I would take her but we just rehomed a rescue in early December and can't take another dog right now. Our deaf border collie is the best dog ever...and most people can't believe he has a hearing problem. If you have a little extra time she might work out for you...Greg

I'm not against rescue and I'm still considering that as an option as well. However I should point out that I won't be getting a dog until around August/September. Hopefully the blue merle will have been long adopted by then. I've gotten the feeling that rescues can be a bit more reserved about who they give dogs to compared to a breeder. I feel like I've probably got two strikes against me from the get go. First, I'm still in college. Second, I'll be living in an apartment (technically a two-story townhouse). The reason I'm looking for potential breeders now is because some of them have wait-lists, so it makes sense to get put on a list now. Then when August/September rolls around I should be at the top of the list. I'm just trying to keep my options open. Especially if the only BC rescue in Ohio were to deny me a dog for some reason.

When I adopted my pit bull mix Jack and my border collie mix Wolfie, I was in college and living in an apartment. But I volunteered with the rescues and fostered (Wolfie was a failed foster, I hadn't planned on getting Jack a buddy at that point). I also worked as a dog trainer and a vet tech. The rescue group had the chance to get to know me and knew I was responsible. It is an unusual college student who can take care of one active dog, let alone two.

I would expect and gladly welcome scrutiny from a rescue. I would expect to have to prove myself just as much to a good breeder. Scorch was not the result of a planned breeding, but the breeder still screened me VERY carefully. I met Scorch's parents before I ever got to get more than a glimpse of the puppies and I had a thorough contract to sign (including a spay/neuter contract, which the breeder extended for me).

I expect to have to prove myself and you never know until you try what a rescue or breeder will say. But I would be EXTREMELY wary of anybody who would just hand a dog over with no problem. If you have an easy time getting a dog, buyer beware.

Vipergts: I would like to encourage you to go to a rescue for your new dog. Don't worry too much about getting rejected.

I have heard people say that someone who lives in an apartment shouldn't have a border collie, and I have heard people say that someone who lives in a trailer park shouldn't have a border collie, blah, blah, and it always gets my back up. No matter where you live you can give the dog a great life, IF you are truly dedicated to doing so.

I got Jester when I lived in LA, in one room with no yard. I got up early every single day no matter the weather and we went on a half hour walk with a half hour fetch-the-ball session. I came home from work and did the same thing every single day. Every single weekend we went either hiking or camping or to the beach. As well as the walk and play sessions. I trained him to do things.....obedience and tricks. When I was at work he was in a crate. It was not ideal, but it worked.

The thing is you simply need to be absolutely sure you will be completely dedicated to making sure the dog gets enough. Enough exercise, enough attention, enough training, enough of everything he or she needs. And be sure also that you are devoted enough that if your landlord says you can't stay there with the dog any longer you will move, not give up the dog! If you get a new boyfriend/girlfriend who doesn't like dogs, you'll get rid of them and not the dog.

I knew when I got Jes that I was able to be sure I would give him all of that, and I have. Now we live in the country, which is easier. But if we still lived in a small place I would still be doing all of that. If you are certain you will do what needs to be done, then you can also convince a rescue that you will do those things and they will let you have a dog. I did.

Good luck

D'Elle

Oh, PS......as for keeping up with the 21st century you are right about people looking on the internet for things. But the fact is, no reputable border collie breeder would advertise on petfinder or those other sites. It just isn't done. But that doesn't make them luddites; they will have their own website.

I don't know. This just seems like keeping up with the 21st century. I don't think there has to be anything inherently wrong with advertising that you're a breeder on those sites. The first thing anyone (under the age of 30) does when they want information on something is go to the internet.

I'm not under 30, and I certainly go to the internet for many things. But that sort of advertising site is like going to the newspaper and small sheet classifieds - a big red flag.

Good, responsible breeders (of all sorts of dogs) do not advertise on that sort of site. They may have websites (fine); they may advertise in pertinent magazines (Working Border Collie, sheep production magazines, Working Stock Dog, etc.) or on pertinent websites; but they don't advertise on that kind of website that's out there trolling for any buyer, anywhere, anyhow, any way - any more than they would advertise in a newspaper or small sheet classified.

Please don't confuse "modern" with sites geared to instant gratification and irresponsible breeders.

Thanks everyone for your insightful posts.

Sue, thanks to your post I was able to find this website which has a directory of breeders from all across the country, including several in Ohio. This thing should have its own sticky for newbies, such as myself, or at least be in the "Seeking information about getting a border collie" thread.

http://www.working-border-collie.com/

Oh, and if anyone still wonders if there are pups in OH:

http://bcrescue.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10028

169057_185626914802119_161341037230707_488361_2214412_n.jpg

(That one is killing me!)

And this beauty...wow!

180291_184958088202335_161341037230707_483792_5759227_n.jpg

Wow, that black pup reminds me of someone I know... He grew up to look like this

5393824169_03678166d3.jpg

Shelter pups rock...

Mike

Sue, thanks to your post I was able to find this website which has a directory of breeders from all across the country, including several in Ohio. This thing should have its own sticky for newbies, such as myself, or at least be in the "Seeking information about getting a border collie" thread.

http://www.working-border-collie.com/

This is the Working Border Collie magazine website. WBC is a good magazine, and its publisher, Bruce Fogt, is a breeder of good border collies who lives in Ohio. However, I'm not going to link to this breeders directory, or any other breeders directory where the only criterion for inclusion is payment of a fee. As with any such directory, there are some very poor breeders on the list along with the good ones.

I've gotten the feeling that rescues can be a bit more reserved about who they give dogs to compared to a breeder. I feel like I've probably got two strikes against me from the get go. First, I'm still in college. Second, I'll be living in an apartment (technically a two-story townhouse). The reason I'm looking for potential breeders now is because some of them have wait-lists, so it makes sense to get put on a list now. Then when August/September rolls around I should be at the top of the list. I'm just trying to keep my options open. Especially if the only BC rescue in Ohio were to deny me a dog for some reason.

I personally wouldn't go with a breeder that made it really easy for someone in your situation to get a BC. I'd want a breeder that asked many of the questions that a good rescue would ask, not one that would give a BC pup to just anyone.

I am currently in college and got a BC through rescue last year. I had to sell myself to them, but I didn't find it too difficult. They worked with me in a couple areas, too. You just need to go in with a game plan and be prepared to live with a high energy, intelligent dog.

To add to Maralynn's post, here is a good link as to why it is difficult to get a dog from rescue.

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/those-darn-dog-rescues-with-all-of-their-rules-and-questions-what-gives

I have a dog from a BYB and she's got problems up the wazoo. I have a dog from rescue who just so happens to be a rock solid dog. If I were to go the responsible breeder route... ever, I would expect it to be just as hard as the responsible rescue route. I learned my lesson getting a dog from who ever would sell me one.

I live in Frazeysburg and have raised and trained dogs for 12 years. I may have a litter this spring.

These people I know from the Working Border Collie Breeders list. Wirt Mikesell has some nice dogs and he is very good about getting all the popular health checks done. Dave Jenkins does the Demo at the Ohio State Fair and usually has some nice imported dogs. He doesn't breed alot but he would be worth calling. He's been raising and training Border Collies for a very long time. Claudia Frank has very nice dogs. The Fogts have very nice dogs. The rest of the people on the list I don't know.

If you are looking for a companion dog I would suggest going to rescue. If I do have a litter the two dogs I have in mind are very head strong working dogs and the pups would not make good pets for most people both work sheep and cows and both need a firm hand. Rescues tend to be a bit older and you have a better idea of what you are getting into.

Kevin Brannon

740-828-9552

Archived