BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
KrisK

What would you do...personal integrity is questioned

I have been involved with a club for years and for which I have been the president for a good number of those years. They had their first election of officers in probably 10 years. I stood, as did one other person. After the votes were tallied, I was elected. Now, there are rumors and innuendos that the vote was 'rigged'. I had nothing to do with collecting ballots, counting ballots, etc.

I am hurt by these unfounded rumours since I have dedicated a great deal of time to this organization..including taking vacation time to run club events, paid $$ out of my pocket without recompense, spend hours trying to raise funds...well, not unlike many of you do with organizations you're involved in.

Part of me wants to send an email to all members to 'clear the air'...the other part of me says I shouldn't stoop to their level by defending myself.

What would you do? I always appreciate the common sense of board members and I could use some of it now :)

Club politics, yippee...I suspect that it will blow over and settle once people get busy and over the cabin fever.

Just some thoughts,

Discuss the issue with your board of directors to first determine if there is anything to the rumor and where they stand on the issue, maybe one of them saw something that you did not. If they all feel that there is no issue leave it alone, it will probably die off and the unhappy parties will either move on or get over it.

The other thing you can do is to have the secretary send out a message "All is Great Message" about upcoming events and announcing the new board and then include a blurb about what to do if you have any question, problems or issues. An example that seems to work well, have them sumbit their issues in writting to a board member followed by a list of board members and addresses. Typically the "in writing" part shuts it down. Most will be willing to talk behind the scenes in an effort to gain support, but don't want to be held accountable for it by putting it in writting.

More then likely you have a couple/few people making alot of noise that are not happy with how things are going, maybe the club is going a different direction then where they want to go or they want it to go somewhere else but are not willing to get their hands real dirty. When talking to their buddys they were led to believe that they had support but the vote showed otherwise which is counter to what they expected so they are assuming that something is not on the up and up.

The other thing you can do is isolate out which people are the most upset and delegate a job or committee to them. That usually cures it to, want things to change, here's your chance to make it happen.

Kris, I'd just kick their butts!

But barring that, all you can do is hold your head up, know you did no wrong, and let the snipey little people enjoy their vent. People who know you won't believe the rumors, those that don't know you, will come to the conclusion the rumors were just sour grapes once they get to know you. Trudge on oh mighty volunteer warrior!!!

I have been involved with a club for years and for which I have been the president for a good number of those years. They had their first election of officers in probably 10 years. I stood, as did one other person. After the votes were tallied, I was elected. Now, there are rumors and innuendos that the vote was 'rigged'. I had nothing to do with collecting ballots, counting ballots, etc.

I am hurt by these unfounded rumours since I have dedicated a great deal of time to this organization..including taking vacation time to run club events, paid $ out of my pocket without recompense, spend hours trying to raise funds...well, not unlike many of you do with organizations you're involved in.

- Get used to it

- Get over it.

I'm not being flippant either. Any time one puts oneself out there, one runs these kinds of risks. There will always be some people who, because they dislike you personally, because they are just naturally miserable, or because they genuinely suspect shenanigans, who will engage in this kind of behavior. Fortunately, they are in the minority. The majority of people appreciate the effort of those who make the effort to help out, and will pitch in.

I would discuss it one on one with the person or persons behind the grumbling. Maybe they have reason to suspect shenanigans, maybe they don't. Clearing they air may help, or it may not.

Otherwise, soldier on. Do the best job you can and hope that it's appreciated.

Best of luck, and cheers for stepping up.

Kris, I'd just kick their butts!

But barring that, all you can do is hold your head up, know you did no wrong, and let the snipey little people enjoy their vent. People who know you won't believe the rumors, those that don't know you, will come to the conclusion the rumors were just sour grapes once they get to know you. Trudge on oh mighty volunteer warrior!!!

^This. You did actually win, so the majority are on your side and voted for you. I would just ignore it and continue as if you hadn't heard any rumors.

You could just resign from your post halfway through your term and become a Fox News comentator and Twitter star.... B)

Seriously, there are always going to be folks that don't like the outcome of an election, so they will question its legality, etc. If you don't like it, make up a conspiracy. You weren't born on mars, were you? Informed people have asked this question.....

Being a good president is the best revenge.

- Get used to it

- Get over it.

So very true!

I have been our training club's President for many years. I quickly found out that those that complain behind the scenes the most are most likely those who are never going to step up do the job that you do anyway. Their opinion becomes somewhat meaningless.