BC Boards

showing teeth when giving a treat

Jax is a great dog with the exception of a few situations. Whenever I have a treat for him, if I am every near his face (i.e. onthe ground with him) and he gets close to me, he starts to show his teeth and gets very anxious. Its obviously very nervious anxiety as his ears go back fast and he lowers his head but teeth are blazing! The same thing happens when i am leaving and I put him in my room. If I ask for "kisses" before I leave, he gets super anxious and the teeth come out. Its only in those situations though. if I am on the floor playing during the day or at night, no issues. its just when I am leaving or if I am giving him a treat before I leave....thoughts? Anyone have this happen?

He could be smiling. Ever had a dog do that to you? Freaked me out the first time I saw it.

More seriously though, I'd stop putting your face down there until you figure out what he's doing or why he's doing it. Maybe he's not comfortable with the 'up close and personal' attention with your face so close to his. If he's not comfortable, he's clearly telling you and you should stop before you get bit in the face.

I'd see if I could get a good, qualified trainer to come over and check it out. We can't really tell what he's doing through a written explanation on the internet....

My girl hates it when people get in her face. With me, she will bow to avoid me, with others, she will lunge at them. I have to caution people not to put their faces in her space. I wish she were more of a smoochy dog, but she is what she is. If he was smiling, you would notice at other times, like when you first come home and he's all happy to see you. This definately sounds like a fear issue, IMO. I agree with the recommendation to get a professional trainer.

Greyhounds are noted for their smile. I had a friend with one, Awesome, who smiled at all her friends. Her body language was clearly delighted - she was usually wiggling, if not actually dancing around with pleasure.

What's the rest of his body doing? I agree w/ the suggestions - stop putting your face near his, this is difficult for many dogs. Hand him his treats with your body straight up and sideways to him, not straight on. Or toss him his treats for a while, let him have some space.

Find a good trainer to help you observe and interpret what's going on.

Ruth

Separation anxiety?

You said he shows teeth when you leave, and when you give him a treat before you leave, or in his face. My pup had separation anxiety pretty bad for awhile. She would cower when I left and even snapped at me once for getting in her face to give her a kiss goodbye.

I'm no expert, but what worked for me is to not make such a big deal about leaving, just do it. Then when you get home, don't make a big deal of it or get really excited with the pup. All the fuss of leaving/arriving create stress.

Good luck!

Whisper does this; for her, it is because she cannot take a treat without showing her teeth. All of her teeth at the front of her mouth are worn down to the gum line (she's a rescue; I don't have any idea of her history, but my vet thinks Whisper has spent some time trying to chew her way out of a crate. The vet also does not think it necessary to pull those teeth if they don't bother Whisper). Whisper turns her head to the side, shows her teeth and gingerly takes the treata from my hand.

Smiling is actually a submissive behavior. Confusing for many and scary for some, but in general you have little to worry about from a smiling dog. It always takes me by surprise to come across one in the shelter (especially when you don't know anything about their background), but once you accept this little 'quirk' of theirs everything is fine. ;)

To me, the behavior described in the OP does sound like smiling. One thing you could do is try to put it on cue to take a bit more ownership of the behavior.

To me, the behavior described in the OP does sound like smiling. One thing you could do is try to put it on cue to take a bit more ownership of the behavior.

Maybe, that's why I suggested it, BUT and this is a big one... The OP also said "...and gets very anxious." and "...he gets super anxious and the teeth come out". The fact that the OP is picking up on heightened anxiety levels when this is occurring suggests to me that there is something more here that some one qualified should observe. Since there are two sides to this coin - a good behaviour and a potentially dangerous one, I wouldn't risk it. Getting bit in the face would suck.

Maybe, that's why I suggested it, BUT and this is a big one... The OP also said "...and gets very anxious." and "...he gets super anxious and the teeth come out". The fact that the OP is picking up on heightened anxiety levels when this is occurring suggests to me that there is something more here that some one qualified should observe. Since there are two sides to this coin - a good behaviour and a potentially dangerous one, I wouldn't risk it. Getting bit in the face would suck.

I completely agree with this!

Absolutely. That's why I gave the example of the greyhound, Awesome, smiling. The total thing needs to be assessed, not just the showing of teeth. With noticeable anxiety present, a good evaluation is necessary.

Ruth

Archived