BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
sea4th

This is disturbing

I work in a job where confidentiality is integral and any breach of it results in dismissal, so I won't provide details. In my work, I've come across a lot of disturbing stuff. This one hits a little closer to home. I'm working on a case where the person is married to a "rescuer". In some of his psychiatric evaluations, he describes how he has abused some of the rescue dogs in their care (he has "anger management" issues) and how he killed one of the dogs --- duct taped it's mouth shut and feet together and beat it to death in the back of his van, dumped the dog's body in the back yard and told his wife that he just found it there like that.

I don't think they have as many dogs as they used to. It appears the city where they live shut them down --- they had almost 40 animals in a small house, but I do believe that the wife is still active in rescue. I don't know how unaware she might be of the abuse, but she believed his story on the dead dog issue.

Our paths as rescuers have not crossed so the situation isn't in my face, but now I know it's out there and it exists. I'm not really sure what I can do, but this bothers me enough that I needed to run the situation past someone. This was by no means a stellar rescue operation, for sure. It might have even bordered on a hoarder situation and it's a good thing that the city shut them down, but they still have access to dogs that are subject to this guy's "anger management" issues and that bothers the hell out of me.

It might have even bordered on a hoarder situation and it's a good thing that the city shut them down, but they still have access to dogs that are subject to this guy's "anger management" issues and that bothers the hell out of me.

Hm I think the situation you describe ( keeping 40 dogs in a smallish house, abuse to boot) doesn´t "border" on hoarding, it is a full blown hoarding situation, complete with psychological problems (of both persons involved).

And I think you are right; "the proper authorities" should step in and take appropriate measures, if there is suspicion that a similar stuation is developing.

Now, if this was a case where you became aware of abuse of child or spouse (past and/or potentially present), what would your responsibility be? In terms of your job, wouldn't you *have* to report that abuse to the relevant authorities?

If that is the case, would it be appropriate to report the abuse (past and/or potentially present) to relevant authorities (if there is such a thing)?

What a sick behavior you have had to listen to. My hat's off to people who do deal with those with serious issues.

I think that goes way beyond "anger management" issues. What is really scary about it is that he will probably do it, or something similar, again. Isn't that how many serial killers start out? I'm sorry you have to deal with a person like him. Very disturbing, indeed.

I I'm not really sure what I can do, but this bothers me enough that I needed to run the situation past someone. This was by no means a stellar rescue operation, for sure. It might have even bordered on a hoarder situation and it's a good thing that the city shut them down, but they still have access to dogs that are subject to this guy's "anger management" issues and that bothers the hell out of me.

Is there a supervisor at work that you trust? If so, talk to them. If there's a lawyer you trust about breach of confidentiality and where it's legally sanctioned/required, (child/elder abuse, etc) ask them.

I don't envy you your situation.

Ruth

I don't want it to sound like I am trying to "guess" your occupation, but I do know that if a psychiatrist, counselor, therapist, etc., is told by a patient that they did anything, they are not allowed to tell anyone. If a court order is issued, they can, but otherwise, not a peep. It's that way for a reason, even if it sometimes sucks. Anytime confidentiality is involved, you have to treat it as though you never heard it. Even when it goes against your very being. A lawyer has the same standards. All you can do is hope the person gets help and gets to a place where they can own up to what they did on their own.

In the beginning of my post, I address the fact that in my job, I cannot breach the confidentiality of our claimants. I deliberately wrote that part first so there would be no doubt in anyone's mind about me coming across something like this (and I have come across a lot of disturbing stuff over the years in this job) and then running and blabbing a disturbing piece of information to anyone who'd listen. I take my job seriously and to do something that foolish has never occurred to me. That doesn't change the fact that I do come across disturbing stuff.

By the time cases get to me, they've already been seen and evaluated, several times over in many cases and the results are what I see and deal with. Disturbing information has been presented to and dealt with long before it gets to me.

So in this case, what would I do? Post here because it bugged the hell out of me, to get the visual out of my mind and into writing? That's what I did. I wasn't looking for a go-ahead from anyone to blab this information somewhere to someone. That ain't going to happen, ever.

However, in this case, if I ever run across their names during the course of rescue endeavors, I'd certainly say something like, "no, I don't recommend these people get/keep a dog", or "I prefer not to work with these people" or "no dog of mine is going to these people" -- no reasons need to be given -- ever.

And no, I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, but I could sure use one sometimes! ;)