BC Boards

Growing Pains

adesouza89

My 6 month old has been having some difficulty getting up after laying on the floor for sometime. As I've posted in a previous topic that he's a big boy. He's currently 21" tall and 40 lbs. He has no problem after he's up. He runs around and acts like any other Border Collie puppy. He's very energetic and happy. I've looked up H.D, E.D, OCD & Pano and he doesn't have the symptoms of any of those. I've also looked up a couple other bone & joint disease and nothing. I contacted my vet about an HR ago, I'm currently waiting for them to call me back. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen.

I'm also starting to wonder if its from exercising to much???

This also doesn't happen a lot. Maybe once or twice a week.

I called his breeder and he said EXERCISE MORE..

I have an eight month old male puppy who at 5 months started behaving very fearfully, and at six months I noticed that he had an odd gait. He wasn't limping, and it wasn't always there, but sometimes I would look at him and think "hmmm, that just doesn't look right."

He turned out to have pano. The vet discovered he was painful mid-shaft of the femur but not at a joint, and the xrays showed great hips, great knees and no laxity, but what looked like a healed pano lesion on the right limb and a slight on the left (it was the left that was painful).

We started MSM, ester-C daily and have Rimadyl on hand for PRN use for when he looks especially sore and I weigh every meal and weigh him weekly vs. just weighing the food occasionally and sometimes just eyeballing it (I feed raw). The vet OKed the raw, and said to ensure if I use kibble to not use puppy food.

I was surprised: I had never heard of a BC having pano, only really large dogs. The vet said he has seen it before in BCs and Aussies, especially males. The vet thinks his growth rate is normal, the breeder thinks its kind of fast (4 months 24 lbs, 6 months 32 lbs, 8 months, 36 lbs). So far so good, we have just learned to gaugue if he is hurting by subtle indicators and have avoided fear inducing situations if I have any inkling he's not up to it.

Archived