BC Boards

Dr. Leroy Boyd

Eileen Stein

Dr. Leroy Boyd passed away today, January 6, 2011, following a massive heart attack.

Dr. Boyd was one of the founders of the American Border Collie Association, and it is fair to say that without his effort and his many contributions the registry would not have come into existence. His dog Zac was ABC1, the first dog registered by the ABCA, and the model for the ABCA logo. Dr. Boyd served for many years on the ABCA Board of Directors: 1983-1991, 1994-2000, and 2009-2010. He served as President of the ABCA 1988-90 and 1996-98. He was inducted into the ABCA Hall of Fame in 2000.

He was one of the last surviving members of that small group whose energy and vision gave rise to the ABCA, and he will be greatly missed.

Obituary and arrangements

RIP Dr. Boyd. I have fond memories of his gentlemanly kindness to me as a USBCHA Director during the odd times over the years when our paths would cross. He always had a good story, and it was always about the dogs. I was pleased to be in attendance in OKC in 2000 when he was inducted into the ABCA Hall of Fame.

Amy

I met Dr. Boyd just once, at the 2005 finals in Sturgis. I had been asked to use my dogs for a demo and had the pleasure of working my dogs for the spectators while Dr. Boyd announced (I talked with him a good deal that day as well). What a nice, nice man. His death is a real loss to the border collie world.

J.

Dr. Leroy Boyd passed away today, January 6, 2011, following a massive heart attack.

Dr. Boyd was one of the founders of the ABCA, and it is fair to say that without his effort and his many contributions the registry would not have come into existence. His dog Zac was ABC1, the first dog registered by the ABCA, and the model for the ABCA logo. Dr. Boyd served for many years on the ABCA Board of Directors: 1983-1991, 1994-2000, and 2009-2010. He served as President of the ABCA 1988-90 and 1996-98. He was inducted into the ABCA Hall of Fame in 2000.

He was one of the last surviving members of that small group whose energy and vision gave rise to the ABCA, and he will be greatly missed.

So sorry to hear about that. I was just thinking about him after the questions about his Zac dog. He had a great sense of humor and loved these dogs.

He will be missed.

Thanks for letting us know.

I unfortunately did not know the man but looking at his achievements and the supportive community he has left behind I wish I did. He sounds like a man who lived passionately and selflessly – this earth will miss his body but his spirit of good works will go on. Much sympathy to his friends and family

He closed his eyes and felt the rushing air,

The whispered secrets of his ebbing tide.

Angelic fingers gently brushed his hair.

His errant spirit fled, his body died.

Now what majestic visions fill his view,

What brilliant stars to light him on his way.

His soul set free, in lofty spiral flew

Leaving behind a useless hulk of clay.

Winging his way across celestial heights,

Traveling onwards in a heavenly sea,

Marveling at the wonder of such sights,

He claims his portion of Eternity.

Vaya con Dios, Dr. Boyd.

Archived