BC Boards
lance

movie "A dog Year"

I know there are mixed feeling about Jon Katz and his Border Collie books. His book "A dog year", which was made into a movie, staring Jeff Bridges as Katz, comes out on DVD this Tuesday, Jan 4th, 2011.

Best place to Rent it is Red Box./ $1.00 for one night.

I read the book several years back, after getting my Border Collie Bandit. I enjoyed it!

I have always liked Jeff Bridges' acting!

Look forward in seeing movie.

Lance

No, it's not just you, Kristen. "Blech" doesn't begin to describe my feelings about Jon Katz.

nancy

My husband threw away the book after Katz did away with the second labrador.

But I am sure the movie will appeal to many people, I have heard that some of the issues in the movie were skipped over.

Maja

I know there are mixed feeling about Jon Katz and his Border Collie books.

I have never felt that there were mixed feelings about Katz on this forum at all! Always thought they were pretty clear!

I saw the movie. My mom unfortunately purchased it. The only good thing about it was that Jeff bridges did a great job at making katz look like a complete and total nut job. :)

Jeff bridges did a great job at making katz look like a complete and total nut job

Ii'll give him that. I just thought the movie was horrible. Maybe cause I know to much but IMO it stunk. Jeff bridges did too!

I have never felt that there were mixed feelings about Katz on this forum at all! Always thought they were pretty clear!

Humorist Will Rogers was famous for saying, he never met a man he did not like.

I never read a dog book, I did not like reading. Not saying they were all great reads.

Just like reading about dogs, especially Border Collies.

I do remember past posts on Jon Katz here being negative. When I would ask dog owners few yrs back if they read his dog books, there were mixed feeling!

I'm not part of Katz fan club by any means.

lance

Humorist Will Rogers was famous for saying, he never met a man he did not like.

I never read a dog book, I did not like reading. Not saying they were all great reads.

Just like reading about dogs, especially Border Collies.

I do remember past posts on Jon Katz here being negative. When I would ask dog owners few yrs back if they read his dog books, there were mixed feeling!

I'm not part of Katz fan club by any means.

lance

Just got through watching movie....I liked it!

Only should have been longer.

The girl that played his daughter, I recognized the actress right away.

She played in an HBO series I liked. "6 ft under"

No, it's not just you, Kristen. "Blech" doesn't begin to describe my feelings about Jon Katz.

nancy

Ditto here. In fact, the words that might come close to describing my feelings about this "man" might get me suspended from the BC Boards if I were to use them here. :angry:

D'Elle

Just got through watching movie....I liked it!

Only should have been longer.

If it were longer, they might have had to tell the whole story. It would be kind of a downer when Katz had Devon/Orson put down because the dog "suddenly became aggressive" and "even the shaman was out of ideas," doncha think?

Lance,

I am curious, does he give away the young border collie (I think homer was his name) in the movie and does he put to sleep both of his labs?

Maja

Lance,

I am curious, does he give away the young border collie (I think homer was his name) in the movie and does he put to sleep both of his labs?

Maja

Not in the movie!

Guess movie candy coated what a jerk katz was!

On another forum I read where Katz's first Lab didn't have to be put down so soon!

Lance

Thank you.

(*sigh* , couldn't they have made a movie out of Nop's Trial instead?)

Maja

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Great site. I just saw the movie, I couldn't resist Jeff Bridges and a BC! The movie was a real stinker. I don't know much about Katz but the movie was boring and slow. Even the BC couldn't redeem it. Don't waste your time.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Great site. I just saw the movie, I couldn't resist Jeff Bridges and a BC! The movie was a real stinker. I don't know much about Katz but the movie was boring and slow. Even the BC couldn't redeem it. Don't waste your time.

Welcome to the forum! Stick "Katz" in the forum search engine if you want to understand who he is and how the BC Board feels about him.

I saw the movie. My mom unfortunately purchased it. The only good thing about it was that Jeff bridges did a great job at making katz look like a complete and total nut job. :)

I saw the movie as well and didn't like it at all. I'm a fan of Jeff Bridges but I gotta say this is the worst movie I've seen with him starring. He definitely made Katz look like a nut job. Though Katz has no trouble doing that on his own.

Thank you.

(*sigh* , couldn't they have made a movie out of Nop's Trial instead?)

Maja

I agree! That would be a great movie.

I hafta say... I love Jeff Bridges. Of course they got Jeff Bridges to play Katz. He's the best at playing a nutball. When you look up nutball in the dictionary, it says, 'see jeff Bridges.' He's the only guy who can out-nutball Robin Williams in the same movie.

I haven't seen the movie. Don't intend to. I can't bring myself to give even 0.02 cents to Katz in residuals.

But I'd like to see "Nop's Trials" made into a film. Except they'd probably change the ending to Nop being "rescued" by a spunky blonde AKC conformation-type single mother, and winning the Kentucky Derby, AND, Westminster. Ah, Hollywood...

After reading this thread, curiosity got to me and I had to watch it. I too am a fan of Jeff Bridges and just wanted to see what he did with the part. Slow movie, almost painfully slow. Couldn't finish it, but can't imagine it got any better. Had to watch "Big Lebowski" to wash the Katz off of Bridges.

Mike

Thanks Jodi .... you saved me $1 .... I love all things BC and I'll even give Mr. Katz the benefits of mental retardation ... However, this is THE WORST movie I have ever watched!!!!!

Dave S

Whose dogs were used in the movie (other than the one from the puppymill in Oklahoma)?

If anyone wants to see the movie, you can watch it HERE.