BC Boards

Kat needs board mojo

(Copying from my post on Facebook)

Kat needs your prayers and mojo. She went running with the pack and fell over unable to use her back legs. She has use of her left leg back, but just drags her right. She has a deep pain response in that leg, but not much else. No obvious damaged disc on the radiograph, though she apparently broke a spondylosis bridge between two vertebrae.

The vet is a bit confounded by the one-sidedness after initially being unable to walk at all. She was given a high dose of dexamethasone (IV) and starts muscle relaxers tonight and prednisone tomorrow. I'm hoping I can find someone who will do acupuncture tomorrow.

Prognosis unknown at this time. Sigh, and right at Christmas too, when it will be tough to get additional medical help for her.

J.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! Hopefully the rest and steroids will help...I have a dog (Papillon) who had a fibrocartilaganous embolism, there was much speculation as to if it was that or something else...the same 1 sided involvement...maybe something to consider.

He recovered very well and still runs around like a little devil at age 12.

Oh no! Hopefully the rest and steroids will help...I have a dog (Papillon) who had a fibrocartilaganous embolism, there was much speculation as to if it was that or something else...the same 1 sided involvement...maybe something to consider.

He recovered very well and still runs around like a little devil at age 12.

Yes this. Julie has your vet mentioned this? Unfortunately it is not unheard of in really active dogs. IME, they are relatively pain free (while they may be distressed about the lack of movement) and with time & treatment they get back to almost normal function. The majority of FCE's I've ever seen have been in young to middle aged dogs (medium sized) & single sided.

I will keep you & Kat in my thoughts for a speedy return to normal!

Much Mojo from PA - have you searched http://www.aava.org/ for veterinary accupuncturists? There is also a site for veterinary chiropractors. I found one vet that did both. It made a world of difference in my old horse who was hardly able to stand and could hardly walk after a major roll in the mud. I was so afraid it was the end, but here we are 2 years later at age 30 and even though he has straight stifles, he tracks up when he trots. More Mojo!!!!

If anyone has had experience with something like this, please share your stories. Regarding what might be the cause, basically my vet said that unless I opted for back surgery or expensive diagnostics (MRI, etc.), then the treatment protocol was standard--steroids.

She's got an appointment with an acupuncturist at 11.

J.

The only experience I've had is not good. But I'll tell it anyway, so it'll at least be out there.

Mick's brother had some fusing, but his owner's didn't realize how much he had been degenerating. He was running at a trial and one of the disc's blew out from the pressure of the fusing. The took him to MIZZOU's vet clinic where they did all the MRI stuff and diaginosed the disc rupture. They opted for surgery to clean out the mess that was left over.

It had gone inward and affected his spine. After cleaning it out he was given 30% chance of regaining mobility. He never did. But they now have him in a wheelchair and he gets around.

I don't know if I'd of gone that route but they did and they are giving him the most quality they can.

Accupunture does really good for the rest of his body.

Let's hope that's not what happened to you Kat. The MRI is the only thing that was able to define exactly what was going on.

IF it were me, I'd do the standard protocal and see if she has any improvment but after watching Mick's poor brother I don't think I'd be opting for much more. But that's just me.

Still sending you all the mojo we can, we are keeping some here for Lily.

Your vet is correct, expensive diagnostics and surgery if required or medical treatment are really the only valid options.

I would absolutely do acupuncture. There are a lot of theories about how/why acupuncture works, but one of them is that it increases blood flow to the area. Restoring blood flow and decreasing any swelling are the key to recovering from a spinal cord injury. As nasty as steroids can be on the body, they are still the most effect drug we have to decrease swelling in the brain and spine.

Still keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed here.

Archived