BC Boards

5y/o BC too old to learn herding?

Miztiki

Some people in my general area are trying to find a home for their 5 year old BC. She's never seen stock but they are suggesting that the dog would be better on a farm where she can learn to work stock.

Is it likely that a dog at that age with no training or stock exposure would be able to learn to work stock? (Assuming the dog has a decent herding instinct.) Is that too old?

I just sent them a message offering to help them work with their dog, however I can, so that maybe they can keep her, if that's what they really want. Even if they really don't want to keep her it might lead to some other way for me to help the dog.

Scroll down this thread for a picture of her and their post.

When we had people offer us their older Border Collies because "they need to live on a farm", that was probably the excuse that made me the most impatient.

But I'd bite my tongue and try to be gentle as I explained that the majority of people who get Border Collies to work stock get pups, young dogs, or trained dogs that WERE trained as young dogs. That it takes a year or more to get a dog useful on stock and that a five to seven year old dog would be approaching late middle age by then.

And, that many people live with Border Collies who ALSO would love to live on farms but most of all prefer to do something, anything, with their urban-dwelling owners.

I would hope at that point that those trying to give up their dog would listen to my advice on how to enrich the lives of their dogs and their own family by incorporating more interaction with their presently bored dog.

To directly answer your question, however, I've seen dogs start at quite late ages and do reasonably well. This is in the context of an owner who suddenly decides to take it up and the dog has all the time and leisure in the world to learn at his own pace. I never, ever would put a rescue handicapped by a late start, under the kind of pressure that would ensue if he or she were placed as a working dog. Working placements were always younger dogs (less than four, let's say). I'd also always make sure the dog could do the minimum that the new owner required, usually very simple gathering and holding chores.

Thanks Rebecca. I'm sure that the whole "belongs on a farm" thing is just to make them feel better about the fact that they have failed the dog. I was just curious if older dogs in general can learn something like that. I know that even quite old dogs can learn new tricks, but didn't know if herding or farmwork could be taught past a certain age.

My Maggie started lessons at almost 6 and she shows some ability - the hardest thing is getting her comfortable making her own decisions when necessary rather than relying on me as she has been trained to do in obedience and agility. Luckily she's never truly been punished for herding behavior (unlike the dog you posted about I would think), otherwise I bet it would be more difficult to work with her on sheep.

Maggie will never be a farm dog and prob not even a trial dog, but she is helping me learn about herding.