BC Boards

Looking for ideas as to what is wrong with my dog

alligande

Check the teeth for breaks/cracks like Karen mentioned. Also look for foreign bodies. In the span of 5 days Sprite had 2 thorns (1/2" long!) lodged in the roof of her mouth- next to her tooth. The first time it took me 3 days to finally figure it out - I was wise the second time. They must've come form my neighbor's bougainvillea since I go rid of all the thorny items when we moved in.

Blood work came back with no issues... His teeth are great,

We are off to have chest x-rays this morning - it is starting to look like he has a piece of stick or something stuck in his throat, and I am hoping they can find it without him having to have an endoscope and the large price tag that is attached.

I think he starting to really dislike me, I stuff antibiotics down his throat twice a day ( can not use treats when your dog will not eat) and I keep taking him to nasty places where they drag him back rooms and hold him down

Blood work came back with no issues... His teeth are great,

We are off to have chest x-rays this morning - it is starting to look like he has a piece of stick or something stuck in his throat, and I am hoping they can find it without him having to have an endoscope and the large price tag that is attached.

I think he starting to really dislike me, I stuff antibiotics down his throat twice a day ( can not use treats when your dog will not eat) and I keep taking him to nasty places where they drag him back rooms and hold him down

Poor guy! Poor you! I hope you can find something today- something fixable. I remember a cat that came in on my shift, acting very strange. Ended up finding a sewing needle way back in her throat. It was in a really tough place & we were all worried about how we'd get it out. Once the cat was under we actually just poked it through the side of throat & out the skin! It was the most simple needle retrieval ever- and we had been really worried.

Let's hope whatever they find it has a simple solution. Fingers crossed for you & Brody today!

We spent the morning hanging out at the vet.... more x-rays, his fever is back.

End result was three confused vets and an additional antibiotic to add to the mix.

Now we have to go back to taking his temp. every day and stuffing pills down his throat three times a day, he is never going to want to trust me again.

Alligane,

Don't worry, Brody will learn to trust you again. I know how you feel, I held one of my dogs when the vet was giving her a very painful shot, and then she was afraid of my hands, so I know it's a terrible feeling. Here is a link where they advise to coat the pill in butter: http://www.ehow.com/list_6651458_ideas-giving-pills-sick-dog.html - maybe if the pill is oily/buttery it will be less irritating to the throat. Also perhaps you might search and see the different techniques for forcing a pill, they vary somewhat so maybe some would be more acceptable for Brody than others.

I do hope so that Brody gets better soon,

Maja

Brody update:

We went back to the vets today for another blood test this one for lepto. I suggested this one as some of symptons fit and the rescue that referred him to me where chatting with their vet who said he had a similar case that turned out to be lepto. The reason my vets did not go with this from the beginning is that he has been very "perky" through out this. But this is the same dog who had ragging lyme and still wanted to play frisbee and have fun.

He has not lost much weight in the last few days which is an improvement in total he is down from 42 lbs to 37.4 lbs.

He did not vomit yesterday which was great. It does not make any difference if he taking amoxycilline or not so we put him back on.

His temperature has been normal for days

We have been giving him fluids twice a day which we are now going to drop to once. We have always said he is an odd little dog and this has proved no exception, we put a blanket on the floor when we do this and he now comes over and lies on it waiting for us. This is the same dog that tries to take chunks out of people when they put needles in him.

In general he seems happier and seems to be hungry but getting him to eat real food is challenging, he just ate a large handful of treats but when I had offered a can of dog food earlier he just turned his nose up. The one thing that he has eaten throughout has been my homemade doggy pate which is liver, cream cheese, garlic and eggs. I was using this as a special motivation treat for weave poles but it now seems to be dinner. I am cooking a special batch at the moment that is half kibble that I softened and added to the mix. Lets see if I can fool him.

So basically the mystery continues..........

We got the best christmas present possible a happy bouncy Brody. It looks like Brody is on the way to good health. In the last few days he is back to being his normal weird self. He is eating again although still not with the speed and vigor prior to this starting and Rievaulx is still safe leaving a few kibble in his bowl for a later snack.

We have not heard about the lepto test but with xmas and the blizzard I am not surprised.

Archived