BC Boards

Hydrogen peroxide dosage

I just got back from a hike with my dogs. The trail I was on is a local one, adjacent to a graveyard, and the area is home to lots of prairie dogs. Meg and Sophie both found and then quickly scarfed down bits of cheesy hot dog and bun. I wouldn't care about it normally, but lots of people hate the p-dogs and my fear is always that the food the dogs find is poisoned and meant to eradicate the prairie dogs. It's too late to do anything about this incident but watch for signs just in case, but I bought some hydrogen peroxide in case it happens again, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much to give them and how soon after food ingestion I'd need to give it to them in order to make them throw up whatever it is they find and eat. Does anyone know?

A Tablespoon is 3 teaspoons so that is pretty much the same dose for a BC sized dog. To break that down for syringes the dose is 5cc per 10#.

My reference also says you can repeat every 15 min up to 3 doses total. But in my experiance it's only taken one dose to get the desired results.

A Tablespoon is 3 teaspoons so that is pretty much the same dose for a BC sized dog. To break that down for syringes the dose is 5cc per 10#.

My reference also says you can repeat every 15 min up to 3 doses total. But in my experiance it's only taken one dose to get the desired results.

Thanks for the replies. I was also wondering how long after the dog ingests something would it be worthwhile to try to induce vomiting. I got home about an hour after they ate the hot dogs, so I assume that is too long a time period (as digestion would have begun by then). But maybe it wasn't too long?

I talked to my vet about this just last week when I thought Kes had swallowed a magnet.

She confirmed that the dose is 5cc/10lbs and there are no toxicity issues with it, so you dose to result. We had old H2O2 so it took waaay more than usual - Kes needed 4 doses (over an hour) before he threw up. No magnet found! :)

Archived