BC Boards

Stamina - or lack off

Rievaulx is now almost 16 months and just does not have the stamina of Brody who is 6. Yesterday we went for our thanksgiving picnic, the humans walked about 5 miles and the boys covered lots of ground. Rievaulx needs lots more water breaks and at the end of the walk was snoring on the drive home, while Brody looked ready to repeat the walk. I am sure if the walk was longer Rievaulx would have kept going, he just does not seem to recover as quickly. He is a faster dog than Brody but I think that might just be physics as he is at least 2" taller.

This is not a lack of exercise or fitness, if they were human you would describe them as cut.

Is this an age thing or individual to the dog.

Rievaulx is now almost 16 months and just does not have the stamina of Brody who is 6. Yesterday we went for our thanksgiving picnic, the humans walked about 5 miles and the boys covered lots of ground. Rievaulx needs lots more water breaks and at the end of the walk was snoring on the drive home, while Brody looked ready to repeat the walk. I am sure if the walk was longer Rievaulx would have kept going, he just does not seem to recover as quickly. He is a faster dog than Brody but I think that might just be physics as he is at least 2" taller.

This is not a lack of exercise or fitness, if they were human you would describe them as cut.

Is this an age thing or individual to the dog.

Another suggestion - perhaps Rievaulx should be tested for tick-borne diseases?

Jovi

I would have him tested.

Although I think a lot of it is individual in some dogs.

I feel that the dogs that are more mentally active (as in busy and excitable) seem to wear out a bit quicker.

Thanks for the replies, I will have him tested. I just went through a severe case of Lyme with Brody and do not want to repeat. He is also excitable and busy and has been this way since he was a puppy, I thought then that as he got older and stronger he would develop stamina.

Archived