BC Boards

Min. dose of frontline?

The flea med thread reminded me of something I've been wanting to ask you all:

I'm thinking about helping my fiance's mom out by giving her some Frontline for their dog, a 4 yo boxer. Scott's mom doesn't have the money to buy good flea stuff (she gets Hartz!) and their house keeps getting infested. I don't want to stay there when there are fleas (eww gross) but yet I can't convince his mom that good flea stuff is worth it; they result to bombing the house when it gets too bad and that can't be good for anyone.

My dog is 35lbs and has Frontline for her size, Scott's dog is about 55lbs - will Maggie's Frontline be enough to protect a dog that size?? I use the Frontline every 3 mo, do you think she can as well? If she can it might end up being cost effective enough to get Scott's mom to buy 'the good stuff'.

TIA,

I buy the large dose and split according to weight. there is a wide spread on the weight per box so someitmes depending on the size of my dogs I get 3 treatmeants out of one dose.

I think the cut off for the middle size is 45lbs. I'd start with a bigger dose and as fleas disappear I'd try the 35lb dose.

JMO

Kristen

Just remember, as with many meds,if you *underdose* you create a greater liklihood of developing resistant fleas. I'd use the proper dose or not dose at all.

With Frontline, the product has to cover the body--if you use less than the suggested amount, it's not likely that the dog would get complete coverage and therefore would not be completely protected.

J.

Originally posted by MaggieDog:

My dog is 35lbs and has Frontline for her size, Scott's dog is about 55lbs - will Maggie's Frontline be enough to protect a dog that size??

No

Frontline is 9.7% fipronil and the various weight packages have different volumes of product. Based upon the max weight for each product size the recommended minimum dose is 0.030 mL/lb of body weight (i.e. 23-44lb dose has 1.34 mL yielding 1.34 mL/44 lb = 0.030 mL/lb). A 55lb dog will need 1.65 mL of the 9.7% fipronil solution.

However, for a 35 lb dog and a 55 lb dog (90 lbs total dog body weight) you could split the largest package (89-132 lbs). Use a syringe with a needle to draw out the minimum dose for each dog (based upon its weight), remove the needle and apply with the syringe.

Mark

Frontline can be purchased in bulk-pack break-open plastic vials that are pre-measured for weight ranges. You might want to check with your vet as the proper one for each dog. Annie is 32 pounds, and Missy (in her prime) was 65 pounds; each obviously required a different dosage.

Bustopher,

Here are questions for you.

Why does a 23-44lb package (1.32 mL) plus a 45-88 lb package (2.64 mL) cost 84% more than one 89-132lb package (3.96 mL)?

Why spend 84% more for the same amount of the same drug in two packages when you can split one larger package?

Mark

P.S. The dosage difference is just volume.

Mark -

Answer: Convenience and safety. By using the pre-measured vials, I reduce the amount of handling required, and thus am able to administer the dosage with greater safety for the dogs and me. I also don't like handling a syringe, especially around the dogs when they could injure themselves if something unforeseen happens. Your approach works for you, and I do not challenge your suggestion; for my own purposes, however, my preference works for me, and the monthly cost differential is not a significant price to pay for what I see as the safety and convenience advantages.

Does that answer your question?

I draw up what I need and toss the needle before it gets anywhere near the dog. I have a container especially for sharps disposal. I handle sharps all the time in much more active situations than in my kitchen.

When you have as many as ten dogs at one time to treat (and two cats), the monthly cost differential is significant, while the chance of pricking someone with a sterile needle, and convenience are pretty much non-issues.

With that said, for most people convenience IS a big deal and I myself, if I just had one or two pets, would probably just plunk down the money for the fancy packaging.

In Erin's case is would make a great deal of sense to follow Mark's protocol, since she's talking about giving away a dose to convince her future MIL to take a more proactive approach to fleas. Sometimes it takes something like that to show how big the difference is. Then MIL could go in halves for the other doses and they could continue to split them.