BC Boards

Dog Food Manufacturers

D'Elle

I just finished reading "Feed Your Pet Right" by Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim. Very balanced, objective, and good source of information, as well as quite readable (and amusing). They address many of the issues raised in this thread.

They do suggest that the vet schools consider the ways many medical schools are now handling corporate involvement re the perception/reality of undue influence upon practice and research.

I went looking for this book & found it on Amazon where it managed only 2.5/5 stars. I think this review & the discussion afterward explains why.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for such a good discussion and so much information. I am going to buy the Pelical Bay dog food the next time I go to Costco, or if they don't have it I will request it. I will let you all know how my dogs do on that once I get a chance to try it. Although I think I have concluded from this discussion that I may as well continue with what I am feeding them, I really should vary their diet, which I have not previously done (except for adding yummies at times). The Pelican Bay sounds like a good choice for that.

Thanks again

D'Elle

Thank you all for such a good discussion and so much information. I am going to buy the Pelical Bay dog food the next time I go to Costco, or if they don't have it I will request it. I will let you all know how my dogs do on that once I get a chance to try it.

I have started Senneca on Pelican Bay -- too early to report back anything beyond the fact that she eats it readily. I've previously fed Orijen fish formula and she did well on that.

We are on our second bag of Pelican Bay. (1 month-ish in) Poke and Ceana, both high drive dogs, are doing very well on it. The only issue is that little Miss Sita has gotten fat. We've cut down her kibble and replaced it with some pumpkin to slim her back down. Sita is the laziest border collie in the world, so for most it may not be a problem. <_<

All three of my dogs really enjoy eating it, and Poke is picky.

If PB is simular to Taste of The Wild you will have to cut the amount down. I used to feed Diamond Naturals and switched to TOTW, when feeding the former I fed almost 1 cup 2x's per day. On TOTW I had to cut down to 1/2c 2x's per day. I up it when we are doing lots of work but usually 1/2 cup is enough for all but Mickey who must have a very good matabolisum. He gets 2/3c. 2x's per day and has not gained anything.

I find our food on sale at tractor supply for $35.00 for 30lbs. Close enough that I don't think joining Costco is going to be a deal for me. I've found when I go into places like Costco or Sams that I just end up buying more and eating more. Which I certainly don't need!

That sounds like a real good price for TOTW. We have a Tractor Supply down in Kingwood but it's a half-hour drive each way, and I rarely go that way for anything, otherwise I might be tempted to give it a try (if they carry it there - WV is not known for folks feeding quality dog food outside of the university town).

I was actually in Kingwood today and checked prices - they do carry TOTW but a 30# bag is $43. If I was only feeding about half or so of what I feed with Diamond Naturals (which costs $30 for 40#), that would be similarly priced by volume. But, it is not convenient for me to pick it up there except for the occasional trip I make down that way.

I'm going to have to think this one over. It is tempting.

I do agree about TOTW meaning less volume taken in. I was doing about 7/8 cups of Canidae, twice a day, but when I put Buddy on TOTW, I had to cut down to 1/2 cup, twice a day, because he gained 4 pounds in a couple months.

For me, TOTW didn't end up being any more expensive than Canidae (because of the volume decrease). Sounds like Pelican Bay is cheaper - but I did try Buddy on the TOTW Salmon Formula, and he got incredibly constipated - pooping little pebbles! When I put him back on Bison Formula, he got regular again. I'm leery of the Pelican Bay for that reason...

Mary

Slightly OT, but has anyone else experienced their dogs getting soft stool and bad gas after eating TOTW chicken?

I recently adopted a dog, and thats what he was eating at his previous home, so I bought a bag and fed it to him for a while and to my older BC for a while (he normally eats a ground raw, because he doesn't like to chew)since we had it on hand. Holy cow but the poops were soft and the gas was awful! I mean it was so bad I wondered if the paint on the walls was peeling! And the two eating kibble were the only culprits. I know I had fed TOTW before to my dogs and not seen an issue.

I finally have everyone off the kibble (except for the occasional meal where I forget to thaw or if they are with the petsitter), and the gas is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an an update, we are now more than half way through the first bag of Pelican Bay dog food, and both my dogs seem to be doing well on it, and they love it. It'sa $30 for 30#, which seems like a good price to me, so I will continue to buy it.

D'Elle

We feed the KIrkland foods to our four dogs. With the exception of Ginger just being diagnosed with Valley Fever, they are all doing very well. Our husky is going to be 10 and he certainly looks and acts much younger. With four dogs we just had to stop feeding the super premium foods once the price started to rise so steeply.

I did call Diamond and Costco before we started feeding it and I did get a lot of good answers, unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what the info is anymore! It took quite a few phone calls. I'm almost positive that I posted it in a thread somewhere on here a long time ago. I'll see if I can find the old thread.

Archived