BC Boards

Here's the argument against the Mo. Puppy Mill Law

Tommy Coyote

I just picked up this flyer at a friend's puppy boutique store - she is really very pro AKC - she has yorkies.

The Truth About Prop B:

Prop B is pushed by the HSUS - a radical animal rights organization (NOT an animal welfare organization; NOT your local animal shelter). HSUS has been infiltrating state after state pushing its deceptive ballot initiatives to wipe entire animal businesses out of existence.

The regulations passed by HSUS have successfully shut down the legitimate pork industry in Florida, the egg farmers in California, and now, they're after our licensed dog breeders in Missouri.

Prop B was designed to eliminate ALL dog breeding in Missouri. (HSUS does not feel that anyone should be allowed to own pets, hunt, fish, eat meat, raise animals, etc.)

Prop B will allow authorities to charge licensed breeders with a misdemeanor crime of "cruelty" if they have a cobweb in their kennel, a peice of food in a water bowl, a scratch on a painted surface...and so much more!

Prop B reduces current regulations from 2 feedings per day to 1 feeding per day.

Prop B TOTALLY EXEMPTS HSUS AND CERTAIN "FAVORED" ORGANIZATIONS FROM FOLLOWING THE SAME LAWS THEY ARE FORCING ON OUR BUSINESSES!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

VOTE NO ON PROP B

Personally I don't buy this argument. I don't think limiting a breeder to 50 intact animals is going to put the good, legitimate breeders out of business. But I am very anti puppy mill. I want to see them shut down.

I keep hearing that the HSUS wants to outlaw owning pets. I really haven't seen anything that makes me belive this. I think PETA is trying to go that direction.

Its tough, because I don't agree with a lot of what the HSUS does. I believe they spend too much money on administrative things, fund raising and legislative things and too little helping actual animal shelters (their stats are listed somewhere, its a tiny % that actually goes to helping humane societies), especially considering their advertising would have you believe thats straight where it goes.

I am also unsure that much of the legislation passed will really prevent puppy mills etc as big companies making $$ of off breeding will typically be able to meet the criteria, and the criteria doesn't legislate good breeding practices or volume.

What I wish is that HSUS would spend some time and money educating JQP about where puppy mills sell their dogs and the reason why buying a pet store dog is wrong as opposed to new legislation.

They say that Missouri has 3,000 puppy producers - 1500 that are licensed. I don't think they all are what we would call puppy mills. I think of "deplorable" when I think puppy mills. Some of these are commercial breeders that raise dogs in a lot better conditions - but they still sell to pet stores.

I keep thinking, "what kind of dog breeder would need more than 50 intact animals?" The only ones that would need more would be commercial breeders. And commercial breeders sell to pet stores. Maybe some sell to research labs. And using dogs for research makes me ill.

I just don't believe that this is all a big HSUS conspiracy to control the entire animal world. Sorry. I think a lot of the backers of this bill just want the puppy mills shut down.

So did they have any references or facts to back up the claims on the flier?

Between this thread and the other one, the bulk of what I'm seeing is emotional arguments by both sides. If I were voting on something like this I'd like to see both sides present facts and back up their claims. First it's "we must stop puppy mills". A noble cause and one I agree with. But I haven't seen what a new law will do that old ones haven't been able to do. Then on the other side it's "the HSUS wants to do in animal industries" I wouldn't be surprised with this one either, but I need to hear specifics. I'd also be interested in hearing just who qualifies for an exemption.

But I know it's a pipe dream - especially with voting just around the corner. Got to play to those emotions to get your voters out.

I've been trying to find a comparison chart that I ran across earlier in the week, I'll post a link when I find it, but until then here is the current law:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/2csr/2c30-9.pdf

and here is proposition B

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2010petitions/2010-085.asp

Here is the link to the comparison that I mentioned, there are others available but this was the most comprehensive and pretty much unemotional.

http://www.box.net/shared/7j22ho66o9

Rather then assuming it is all accurate it is best to print off the previous two docs and verify the points.

Did I read this wrong? The new prop wants "daily" observations by a Vet or an employee who reports to the "retained" Vet daily?

Prop B "(3) ”Necessary veterinary care” means, at minimum, examination at least once yearly by a licensed veterinarian; prompt treatment of any illness or injury by a licensed veterinarian; and, where needed, humane euthanasia by a licensed veterinarian using lawful techniques deemed “Acceptable” by the American Veterinary Medical Association."

I found what you are talking about, that is part of the current law. Page 6, section 8 "Attending Veterinary Care and Adaquate Veterinary Care", Subsection B, section 4 "Daily observation..."

If I am understanding correctly Prop B is disallowing operator/owner euthanasia, must have a vet do it. But that just a opinion...

I didnt read the articles but, from experience I will tell you that Pa is having alot of trouble with their Puppy mill laws. Most large mills got waivers to evade the changes necessary to follow the law. Now the law is going back and forth. Mostly the issues are the dogs seeing the outdoors for exercise and no standing on wire esp soiling down on to another dog.

I do think the overall numbers of mills have gone down but, I also know some who work in other fashions. Like only 1 brother of 3 has a license and the other 2 "broker the puppies". They are alot more difficult to document. They are still busting illegal unlicensed puppy mills.

I posted here a few weeks ago that I follow this website they have posted pics of owners of a puppy mill in amish dress using a lap top. In reference that stopping Pa Puppy mills will starve the Amish its a way of life and pups food on their tables.

I remember when Pa was working this law alot of screaming went around but, to be honest not much has come to pass.

Are the present laws being enforced?

Bad kennels SHOULD be shut down,but...

Anyone given any thought to what happens to the dogs of breeders who are over limit? Rescue can't take 'em all. Ya think HSUS would help...oh,wait,they just lobby and try to push bills through and then bail to work on the next 'puppy mill' capital...so it seems like HSUS could be the death of many.

Beware of some of the wording in the bill, it could also affect sheep/cattle/hog breeders as well as PM's. They have added a few items along with the PM stuff. And it is not just the PM lobby that has noticed.

How's it going Tommy?!

I just picked up this flyer at a friend's puppy boutique store - she is really very pro AKC - she has yorkies.

The Truth About Prop B:

Here is the link to the comparison that I mentioned, there are others available but this was the most comprehensive and pretty much unemotional.

http://www.box.net/shared/7j22ho66o9

Rather then assuming it is all accurate it is best to print off the previous two docs and verify the points.

I'm going to do that because from skimming I gather the new law is in some ways more lenient than the old just from looking at the comparison chart. For example, the old 50 breeding animal limit doesn't appear in the proposed law.

Penny

Archived