BC Boards

A Fool And His Money...

JaderBug

An [obnoxious, know-it-all trucker type] acquaintance stopped by last night with my brother-in-law and started talking about his newest purchase, an ACD he bought in Montana for $1200... the breeder said the 9-week old pup is guaranteed to work and move cattle by a year of age with no (formal) training whatsoever, and the breeder told him "if he don't work right, just run up an' kick 'em in the face 'til he gets it right!"

There are about a million things wrong with this scenario, but I am just curious if that kind of a guarantee is at all plausible or if this guy got taken?

This guy should not work with any animals to begin with, (he hauls livestock for a living), let alone have a dog that can have aggressive tendencies. I am ready to tell him if/when the dog won't work for him since he is too abusive towards it (he already told me he kicked it across his semi tractor cab because it chewed on his boots), I'll take it instead of him putting a bullet through its head or neglecting it.

There ought to be a dog ownership test people have to pass first...

An [obnoxious, know-it-all trucker type] acquaintance stopped by last night with my brother-in-law and started talking about his newest purchase, an ACD he bought in Montana for $1200... the breeder said the 9-week old pup is guaranteed to work and move cattle by a year of age with no (formal) training whatsoever, and the breeder told him "if he don't work right, just run up an' kick 'em in the face 'til he gets it right!"

There are about a million things wrong with this scenario, but I am just curious if that kind of a guarantee is at all plausible or if this guy got taken?

This guy should not work with any animals to begin with, (he hauls livestock for a living), let alone have a dog that can have aggressive tendencies. I am ready to tell him if/when the dog won't work for him since he is too abusive towards it (he already told me he kicked it across his semi tractor cab because it chewed on his boots), I'll take it instead of him putting a bullet through its head or neglecting it.

Sounds like alot of testosterone talking.

I knew an ACD breeder who guranteed her pups to work stock...but she has no stipulations on time or "with no training"...she advocated training actually..she did not like selling finished dogs, never did, only pups. She felt a dog will work best for it's owner. If the pup did not work stock, she would happliy refund the buyer's money and take the pup back.

This guy sounds like a jerk..I love ACD's and he keeps treating that dog like that, he's going to end up with half his face gone when that dog has had enough and lights into him.

Reading that just made me cringe and I really hope this fellow is just trying to 'be cool' by saying that.

Anyway, like others above I have heard some breeders guarantee that their pups will work but they never state by what age. And they certainly don't advise any kicking.. :rolleyes:

This guy sounds like a jerk...

He is a jerk... I can't stand being around him, ever since the moment I met him. Jade just sticks next to me and growls at him from across the room, and Jade likes everybody once she meets them. I hope he is just 'trying to be cool' but I'm afraid that's really who he is.

I can understand guaranteeing working drive, but I don't understand guaranteeing that without any/proper training...

Well, it sounds like a bunch of tough guy talk on the part of both the breeder and the owner.

But if he's kicking a puppy, it certainly sounds like he needs to not be owning a dog. I'm not 100% against a dog getting a good smack, but to me it has to be reserved for SERIOUS infractions. Mick got one once, for trying to bite me (it was decidedly not out of fear). Sinead has never gotten one. Getting kicked across a truck for acting like a puppy is definitely not worth any sort of physical punishment.

I can't understand why someone would invest that much money in something (if he indeed did pay that much -- maybe he's lying) and then mistreat it - of course, in some circles, that's "bringing them up right," be it a dog, horse, child, or woman!

An acquaintance told me that they were at an auction over the weekend and walked past a littler of Aussie pups outside the auction barn in a pen -- marked "free" --

All I can think of is Tea's story about the pup that was left behind being the best dog.... and that one person can't save the world, but if we each all tried...

Liz

I can't understand why someone would invest that much money in something (if he indeed did pay that much -- maybe he's lying) and then mistreat it - of course, in some circles, that's "bringing them up right," be it a dog, horse, child, or woman!

An acquaintance told me that they were at an auction over the weekend and walked past a littler of Aussie pups outside the auction barn in a pen -- marked "free" --

All I can think of is Tea's story about the pup that was left behind being the best dog.... and that one person can't save the world, but if we each all tried...

Liz

Liz, I dont think Ive seen the story about the pup left behind? is it somewhere on the boards? or in a book?

Id like to read it..my old blue heeler was the last pup left from his litter and he turned into the greatest dog I have ever owned.

Sarah

Archived