BC Boards

Puppy Growth Rate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sola isn't a BC but Tollers are generally in a similar size range so I will play lol, I am enjoying reading all these, many match Sola's siblings pretty well but Sola is teeny tiny..my prediction so far is 25lbs full grown and filled out

7.5 weeks- 5lbs

9 weeks- 5.7lbs

10 weeks- 6.3lbs

11 weeks- 7.2lbs

12 weeks- 8.5lbs

13 weeks- 9.2lbs

14 weeks- 10.3lbs

15 weeks- 11.5lbs

16 weeks- 12lbs

17 weeks- 13.3lbs

18 weeks- 13.8lbs

19 weeks- 14.3lbs

20 weeks- 15.8lbs

21 weeks- 16.1lbs

• 4 weeks later...

Keeper hit 1 year on March 9th, so took him to the vet to get an official weight.

9 weeks - 11 lbs
12 weeks - 15 lbs
16 weeks - 19 lbs
20 weeks - 23 lbs
24 weeks - 29 lbs
27 weeks - 32 lbs

9 months - 41 lbs

10 months - 43 lbs

11 months - 40 lbs

1 year - 39 lbs

Yeah, I don't know either! I was pretty floored that he was under 40. He was finally at a spot I was really happy with as far as weight and musculature go, I assumed he had put on a couple lbs of muscle. But apparently not! Granted, I'm starting to get "he's too thin" and "I can feel his ribs so easily!" comments from my mom. But I'm very comfortable with his weight and condition. My mom's BC is definitely overweight (I'm working on that, "but he's so hungry!"), so I'm not really too concerned about the comments. :) If he didn't have muscles I'd think he was too thin, but he's just very fit. I am now guessing he'll stick closer to 42 or 43 lbs when he's filled out.

The vast majority of them were on the same vet's scale! I most certainly had the 43 lb. and 39 lb. readings off of the same scale. He was definitely heavier than I liked at 43, he spent a week at Grandma's while I was out of town. :) Keeper can change weight REALLY quickly.

The weight loss coincided with when I switched him to raw. He looks better than ever, so I think between the food change and him gaining muscle tone it changed his weight.

8 weeks: 9.5 lbs

10 weeks: 11.8 lbs

14 weeks: 16.0 lbs
19 weeks: 20.9 lbs

24 weeks: 26.0 lbs approx 18"
6 months: 30.0 lbs
7 months: 32.0 lbs
8 months: 33.3 lbs
Still going, I think, just...slowly. He still has a while to go before he's filled out, but it's hard to tell with all that fur.

I'm interested in how Risk is doing.

Kolt will be a year old in a couple weeks (how did that happen?!?). Weighed him yesterday and he's still pretty consistent at 43.5# He's nicely filled out for his size so I really don't see him putting on more than another pound or two.

From what I've heard, the growth rate was super consistent with his male littermates. They've all ended up in the low to mid 40s. I think the females ended up 10-15# smaller

Kiefer is 12.5 months old. He is 21" at the withers. And weighs 32.4 lbs. (He is a little hard body.)

Last week, I weighed him on a scale located in the lobby of a grooming shop. The grooming shop is attached to a local independent pet food store and I was told that the scale is available for anyone. BUT, he weighed only 30 lbs on that scale - sort of freaked me out. When I took Ritz in to the vet last Thursday, I brought Kiefer too, mainly to weigh him on their scale. There was a 2+ lb difference. I am more confident in the accuracy of the scale at the vet's office.

At 9 weeks, my puppy weighed 9 lbs, and at 13 weeks, he weighed 18 lbs. I am curious as to how much he will weigh when he is done growing.

Kiefer is 12.5 months old. He is 21" at the withers. And weighs 32.4 lbs. (He is a little hard body.)

Last week, I weighed him on a scale located in the lobby of a grooming shop. The grooming shop is attached to a local independent pet food store and I was told that the scale is available for anyone. BUT, he weighed only 30 lbs on that scale - sort of freaked me out. When I took Ritz in to the vet last Thursday, I brought Kiefer too, mainly to weigh him on their scale. There was a 2+ lb difference. I am more confident in the accuracy of the scale at the vet's office.

Is that Kiefer in the photo? If so he looks just like Risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Molly was 31 lbs at 6 months.

She is now 10 months and weighs 33.5 lbs. And that's including her 'high' weight when she was too heavy and I haven't weighed her since we got that fixed again. I suspect it's still around 31-32lbs.

She's changed, especially her proportions, but mostly? I think she was done then. I mean, I still expect to see SOME growth and you should too, but I think the vast bulk of hers was done by 6 months.

Based on my own observations, it depends on the size of the dog but they keep growing very, very slowly beyond the point when NOTICEABLE growth stops. Like my GSD/Pyr mix is 2.5 and is still growing - but I can only tell he's grown since he was about a year old because I have to adjust his collar.

That kind of thing. Kylie stopped noticeably growing when she was 4-5 months old but still gained about a pound beyond that over the next several months/year (tiny dog).

And sometimes that filling out is shape change without any real size change. Hang on, let me find some pictures.

k10-5.jpg

Kylie 6 months

Kylie-8_zpsbca2f161.jpg

1 year.

4_zpsf96d38ca.jpg

Kylie at 2.

There's only about a POUND (maybe 2) of difference in her weight between the two, but her build's different. By quite a bit.

That said, she is a small dog and they stop sooner.

So I WOULD expect to see more growth and honestly dogs grow different re: spurts or steady or whatever.

Keeper is 6 lbs. heavier, but really, he looks the same. Only....not a puppy. Otherwise his height and everything stayed essentially the same. I think the extra weight is mostly muscle.

I do notice his chest dropping quite a bit and he really is looking less gangly. So I don't think they'd look remotely the same as a 6 month old, but they may not grow a ton more.

"Filling out" is a weird term to me. I've never associated becoming an adult dog/horse/whatever with becoming wider, even if that's a byproduct.

"Filling out" is a weird term to me. I've never associated becoming an adult dog/horse/whatever with becoming wider, even if that's a byproduct.

Yeah, me either. I think for me 'filling out' is less about becoming wider and more about proportions changing. A lot of puppies, even older ones, have weird proportions and fit together strangely (see puppy uglies thread). The only way I consistently think 'wider' is that heads and faces seem to broaden with maturity in most dogs. Mostly I think it's just a general change in their overall shape, rather than necessarily width or depth.

I've really enjoyed looking through this thread, and found it useful in trying to figure out how big my puppy will be when she's full grown. So, to add what I have so far for Ivy's weights:

2.5 weeks - 2.15 lbs

3 weeks - 3.04 lbs

5 weeks - 6.01 lbs

6 weeks - 8.05 lbs

8 weeks - 12.05 lbs

9.5 weeks - 15.13 lbs

13.5 weeks - 23.4 lbs

15 weeks - 25.7 lbs

18 weeks - 28.5 lbs

I should add that Ivy is a BC mix - mom was a BC but dad is unknown. She does seem like she is going to be in the same range as some of the larger BCs based on this thread though - maybe 45-50 lbs? She has grown quite a bit since I've gotten her, but she does seem to be slowing down...at least for now.