BC Boards

Puppy Growth Rate

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many KC recognised breeds Tellers have been shrinking.

When they first started appearing in the UK the majority fell into the Large category for Agility and some were the size of a smallish GR. Now the majority I come across are Medium for Agility

I know someone who bred some of the first Medium ones here and I don't think it was her aim to produce smaller dogs that would be more competitive over a lower jump height but that's the way it's gone.

It hasn't really worked competitionwise though because now they are having to compete against more Medium bcs!

• 1 month later...

I get to update! Yay!

Scooter at exactly 9 weeks old is 7.8 lbs. The vet said she'd like him a little heavier, but this is the same vet who said Trooper was at a good weight when he was a solid 4-5 lbs. overweight. He'll put on a teeny bit of weight, but he was fat fat fat when he came home. He'll be kept at a healthy slender weight.

Edit: Huh, I looked back through this thread and I didn't realize how tiny Scooter is! Even at an ideal 8 lbs rather than 7.8 at 9 weeks, that's significantly smaller than most other puppies on this thread. Keeper was significantly larger at 9 weeks, in weight but especially in size. Scooter's dam was teeny, 26 or 27 lbs. But the sire was a BIG dog. He didn't know the weight, but I'd say he was a solid upper 50s or low 60s. Given Scooter's weight now it looks like he won't have dad's size. And to think he was the largest of the litter!

To the previous two posts:

A person I see fairly regularly at agility trials has a Toller. I also was surprised at the size - much smaller than I had seen previous Tollers.

My latest (now 22 months old) came from a dam that was about 32 lbs and a sire estimated at 40 lbs. At a very lean weight, Kiefer is about 37 lbs (21" shoulder height), one of the smaller ones in the litter. Another littermate is about the same size. 2 others, I don't know about. But one is quite substantial at over 50 lbs. (lean, working dog) Sometimes genetics from previous ancestors get passed through.

Dunno if it's true or not but I've read more than once that puppies and children often take more after grandparents than their parents.

In one of the (2) litters I bred from an approx. 35 dam and 48 lb. sire there was a pup who at a year old was a very lean 70 lbs.! I can only assume he put on a a couple more pounds as he matured and filled out.

Natasha was 7.5 lbs. at nine weeks old and 20 lbs. at four months. She is one year, nine months and today at the vet the scale read 31.2 lbs.

By the way, I love the name Scooter. :)

Thank you! I suspect he'll be a touch bigger than Nattie, just being a little heavier at 9 weeks and being a male. But he won't be a big guy, that's for sure! He's also being treated for giardia, so he's been a hair underweight for a couple days. Today he started to feel a little better weight wise, his ribs aren't quite as xylophone-y.

Mum24dog, has Risk put on a significant amount of weight after getting on the B12? I've been curious how he's doing. I'm also ashamed that I had to look up the conversion for 14kg. :(

I'm also ashamed that I had to look up the conversion for 14kg. :(

I did too, and I'm Canadian. :lol:

Aed, despite being 35lbs and absolutely bony, appears to still only be about 19.5".Every border collie person who sees him calls him "the little border collie". It's interesting. Maybe he's just exceptionally long.

Many years ago I did flyball with my dogs. A teammate had an average 45 lb male Border Collie. Wanting another, she went back to the same breeder and bought a pup who was a full younger sister. The sister stopped growing at about 20 lbs, though was quite healthy and proportionate. It always amazed me to see this size difference.

It still blows me away to see the size difference in Juniper, whose healthy weight is about 32 lbs, and her son Tweed, who is not done growing and more than 50 lbs. I think Juniper is about 18 inches tall and Tweed about 24 inches.

JuniperTweed1yr_zpsmqekwe1e.jpg

Thank you! I suspect he'll be a touch bigger than Nattie, just being a little heavier at 9 weeks and being a male. But he won't be a big guy, that's for sure! He's also being treated for giardia, so he's been a hair underweight for a couple days. Today he started to feel a little better weight wise, his ribs aren't quite as xylophone-y.

Mum24dog, has Risk put on a significant amount of weight after getting on the B12? I've been curious how he's doing. I'm also ashamed that I had to look up the conversion for 14kg. :(

Yes, he has put on weight gradually since he started the B12. Only about 7lb in 4 months but he's in proportion and a rapid gain wouldn't have been good for him.

He's absolutely fine and doing well in both agility and sheepdog training. He may be finely built but he's a lot stronger than he looks.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, Scoot is little.

8 weeks - 7.8

10 weeks - 10.3

12 weeks - 13

But less than the weight, he's just small. He has significantly more bone than Keeper which is surely where the weight is coming from, but he's about the size Keeper was at 9 or 10 weeks.

The first photo is Keeper at 10 weeks, the second was Scoot this morning at 13 weeks. He's smaller today than Keeper was is that photo.

post-14480-0-67602200-1453739452_thumb.jpg post-14480-0-51186000-1453739565_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kira is also just a mini thing...

8 weeks: 4.5lbs

9 weeks: 6lbs

10 weeks: 11 lbs (whoa growth week!)

12 weeks: 12lbs

14 weeks: 15lbs

16 weeks: 18lbs

18 weeks: 22lbs

20 weeks: 24 lbs

22 weeks: 25lbs (seemed to pause for 2 weeks)

23 weeks: 26 lbs

Scoot is putting on the pounds, but he's still just so small! So I think the numbers are deceptive.

8 weeks - 7.8 lbs

10 weeks - 10.3 lbs

12 weeks - 13 lbs

16 weeks - 18 lbs (estimates 36 at maturity)

25 weeks - 29 lbs

He may end up in the high thirties or low forties, but he's going to be smaller than Keeper.

Kira is also just a mini thing...

8 weeks: 4.5lbs

9 weeks: 6lbs

10 weeks: 11 lbs (whoa growth week!)

12 weeks: 12lbs

14 weeks: 15lbs

16 weeks: 18lbs

18 weeks: 22lbs

20 weeks: 24 lbs

22 weeks: 25lbs (seemed to pause for 2 weeks)

23 weeks: 26 lbs

I found it interesting how close Kira is in size to my Natasha.

9 weeks - 7.5#

12 weeks - 10.5#

16 weeks - 17#

18 weeks - 20#

24 weeks - 23#

8 months – 27#

14 months – 29#

She just turned two and weighs between 31# and 32#.

I found it interesting how close Kira is in size to my Natasha.

9 weeks - 7.5#

12 weeks - 10.5#

16 weeks - 17#

18 weeks - 20#

24 weeks - 23#

8 months – 27#

14 months – 29#

She just turned two and weighs between 31# and 32#.

Yeah super similar! The vets guess is that she'll remain pretty petite, somewhere 35 or under. Perfect size for being able to scoop her up :D .

Loki is now 6.2 months and 19 inches tall and 15.6 kg (34.4lbs) and a little underweight as he is so active . every one keeps telling me he is small but he seems average to me maybe that's because I'm short a 5ft 2 x

Loki is now just over 15 months, 23" tall and 20kg ( about 43 lb)

post-17519-0-38477400-1461176699_thumb.jpegpost-17519-0-65468300-1461176840_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been coming back to check this thread and compare Tess's growth to Kolt's. So I figured that I might as well add her's in!

Birth weight - 5 oz

5 weeks - 5.5#

7.5 weeks - 9#

10.5 weeks - 11.5#

13 weeks - 16.2#

17 weeks - 19#

19 weeks - 22#

She's growing very evenly like Kolt did and has yet to hit an "awkward puppy" stage - I've had a few people pause and ask if she's a puppy or not. This past week or so she's started to broaden out just a bit and get a definite "big dog" look about her instead of the whippet like look she's been sporting build for about a month.