BC Boards

Sheepdog Finals Webcast

The webcast is great! I didn't get to go afterall so this is the next best thing. I'm sure this isn't good for my blood pressure though. During Maid's run I'm yelling get those horses off the field!!! And I do wish the camera guy would stay focused on the dog during the turn back instead of the released sheep. Other than that I have no complaints.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a wonderfully mediated Finals--I'm following tweets, facebook posts, the webcast and now the commentary here. Awesome--and there's so much to learn. Thanks again, Heather for doing so much to make this accessible.

And hope everyone remembers to click the ad links on the webcast and the final page so that advertisers will see it as worth their while!

Oh, they don't do the whole thing over?

ETA: Heather said Gin got the second group, but from the wrong side. Points off for that?

They usually pick it up from the first phase not yet completed, but not sure how they'd do a second fetch. I didn't see Wendy's run so probably shouldn't comment, but it sounds like she crossed the course for the second gather. She'll be hit hard for that.

And I believe the webcast will be available later as some sort of on-demand deal.

They usually pick it up from the first phase not yet completed, but not sure how they'd do a second fetch.

Looks like they're redoing everything but taking the scoring and the clock from where they left off for Scott and Maid, so maybe that's how they'll do it for Robin and Bill's rerun as well. Makes sense.

Looks like they're redoing everything but taking the scoring and the clock from where they left off for Scott and Maid, so maybe that's how they'll do it for Robin and Bill's rerun as well. Good compromise.

That's right. The exact point at which the rerun is granted is not recreated. The run is not scored until the starting place of the rerun is reached often in terms of which phase of work was interrupted but not always.

BTW, Snagit is not going to help me out because Hughes has slowed me down.

I know that hits are important so will the hit still register if the action is so slow as to be a series of jump cuts?

Penny

As Penny notes, re-runs are scored from wherever the run was stopped in the first place. So Robin and Bill would get a second chance to do that lookback, but the score from the first lookback should stand (since the reason for the re-run--the first packet being allowed to get to and hang on the exhaust fence--would not have affected the lookback). I'm not sure where they'll pick up scoring for her run, but probably somewhere between the start and end of the second fetch.

As a matter of course, the dog and handler getting a re-run have to re-run the entire course--it's really the only practical and fair way so that you don't have to worry about the time clock or the fact that a dog running just part of a course would be fresher than dogs running the full course. The wait times between a run and re-run are also fairly standard (usually 2-3 runs) to give the dog getting a re-run a chance to rest before starting over.

J.

Archived