BC Boards

Sheepdog Finals Webcast

I love the webcast. The camera setup was excellent and caught all the action. I really liked it where they were up close in the shedding ring. Really felt like you were there. Also thought the announcer was great and the sponsorships were handled well and unobtrusively. My only suggestion is that it would be nice to show the running order now and then so that you don't miss a team you really want to see.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another question - the handler is instructing the dog to Lie Down - the dog is not doing it but still achieving the goal. Is this a display of the dog thinking on its own and knowing what is best or blowing off the handler?

It could be either one of those, but more often its an example of understanding between dog and handler. "Lie down" can have many meanings, and one of the most common is "Take pressure off the sheep.". The dog has some discretion about how to do that. If the handler thinks the dog REALLY needs to fully lie down, you'll usually hear it repeated more forcefully.

I thoroughly enjoyed the runs I could watch (between students). One of my students this morning told me about a site, snagit.com, I believe, that will allow you to do just that--snag it, so that you can watch it later. He said it has a fee, but thinks it has a "trial period" for free. I may look into that tomorrow morning, as I have students then, as well. Wish I could blow them off, but need the $$...at least I can catch some of the early runs before I need to go sort sheep,

A

Did you guys take a look at the running order for tomorrow? Check out the last three runs. LOL! Almost looks like they did it on purpose! Should make for an exciting webcast!

Thanks for the webcast link, where do I find the running order for tomorrow?

Or could someone copy and paste it here?

THANKS!

Kate

Remember that tomorrow's runs will be allotted between 25 and 30 minutes each, so plan your viewing accordingly.

Ray Crabtree is the best there is; not only is he a consummate professional, he's a handler, so he understands all the nuances and can convey those to the spectating public.

Amy

I was loving the webcast until rotten Hughes Net cut down my speed for overuse. Now I'm back to following twitter, which is very good, but can't compare.

Penny

Penny we called HN 3 times today, they got it back up each time but they were not happy about the usage...Something about using "tokens" and such. Beats me but they did kick it back up to speed.

I was so impressed by the 11 year old (Ben?), who had his bad sheep run all the way back to the exhaust fence, and still got the course done in time. Good boy!

That was Debbie Bailey's Ben. He's my Nick's sire :rolleyes:

I'll be up early to watch. I'm excited to see Debbie run Huck- my Nick's brother- and the last three runs! Holy smokes! I'm glad it's going to be rainy here tomorrow :D

That's so cool, Ben! :rolleyes: I hope they do well.

Anyone watching yet? I can't hear the handler (whistles, commands) like I did yesterday. I guess maybe they don't have on some mics that that had on yesterday?

ETA: Nevermind, they fixed it. :D

It's Libby Nieder--while she was running, they had her down as Libby Nider, and in the results her name is spelled incorrectly as Nieser. The production company is doing a fantastic job, but I do wish they would get the names right...

Question: After the dog drops the first group off and goes back for the second, do they have a dog somewhere close by to hold that group from running back to the exhaust?

They have a handler and dog to prevent the sheep from getting right up against the black exhaust fence or jumpinf in, but it's a LONG way from the turnback post, so retrieving them will be difficult and time consuming.

BTW, it's good GIRL, Sly. :rolleyes:

The announcer said that there are some dogs and handlers over near the exhaust area to prevent the first group of sheep from getting away. The announcer (Ray Crabtree) is great -- but hey, my name's Janet, not James! We sponsored Tommy and Sly :D :D :D Good girl, Sly!

Thanks, James! Err, Jan! :rolleyes: Eileen, too.

That was a great run by Tommy and Sly.

Archived