BC Boards

Just a couple from the finals from yesterday. I was working and didn't get a lot of shots but I'm headed back Weds night for the rest and hope to capture more.

If you're following twitter, you can now see why the draw is so strong to the left of the field. The exhaust crew reports that even though the draw seems strong, the sheep can be buggers to exhaust. They didn't like the black tarping.

5007949841_b202f32e16.jpg

5008583378_e71e1aa8b4.jpg

Watching the action in the handler's tent

5006442155_144af436c0.jpg

Christine Henry at the pen with Kaige. They made it to the Nursery finals today and run 26th.

5008547842_0a6c819cf6.jpg

Will be posting more after the weekend.

Michelle

Those are awesome! Who is the first dog? Thanks for showing those shots that explain the draw so well. Have fun when you go back!

Next time Michelle and I should trade jobs: I should scribe and she should take photographs. For what it's worth, here are some of the ones I took on Sunday. There are more up on Flickr; go to "slideshow" if you're really a glutton for punishment. And if you're looking for photos of a particular dog or trainer and don't see them - let me know, I may or may not have some.

First: the sheep!

5008260414_c380e6aab8_z.jpg

Coming atcha!

5007657017_cbdcdbae5f_z.jpg

Alasdair MacRae sending Hoss left (the direction the vast majority of handlers chose):

5007662885_023fcce409_z.jpg

Linda Tesdahl and Juno at the pen:

5008351226_2fb068f498_z.jpg

Christine Henry and Kaige at the starting post, looking cool as cucumbers:

5007751301_093dabe7fe_z.jpg

Barbara Ray's Juice setting some stroppy sheep straight; too bad they timed out at the pen:

5008391596_3ea09ae8d7_z.jpg

Virgil Holland's Scott:

5007847043_349d6cb881_z.jpg

Marianna Schreeder's Soot, straight through the fetch gate:

5008476666_2aaf4ea5bd_z.jpg

Soot reasoning with the sheep:

5007876615_f4060feab9_z.jpg

Soot sending them through the second drive gate (Soot's third successful gate)

5007883511_379abfa666_z.jpg

(more to come...)

Robin French's Bill making the fetch gate:

5008603006_91e6af6929_z.jpg

Bill turning the post:

5008610396_db80229228_z.jpg

Bill getting his sheep through the first drive gate:

5008618834_51914b6101_z.jpg

Bill marching them single file through the second drive gate:

5008627296_672b11bb01_z.jpg

Lyle Lad's Nick getting sent right (one of the few handlers to choose this route):

5008037291_51698eb4ae_z.jpg

Lyle Lad's Nick

5008678008_be9ce4f881_z.jpg

Lyle Lad's Nick, sheep milling at the pen:

5008699082_6fb4d5c56e_z.jpg

Nick's sheep felt they'd deserved a time-out for a drink at the stock tank:

5008100205_524174b779_z.jpg

A successful pen - and did I hear with minutes to spare?

5008108465_a594b6ae39_z.jpg

Amanda Milliken's Monty, rounding the post:

5008819678_6e7ccbc1d7_z.jpg

(one last set to come!)

Another of Monty:

5008825894_9f4a342bc8_z.jpg

Monty, making a nice sharp turn after the first drive gate:

5008233385_1ca49d1741_z.jpg

Bruce Fogt's Cam:

5008245191_efcc92686d_z.jpg

Sherry Smith's Queen. The Smiths are the gracious hosts of the first (and only other) sheepdog trial I've attended:

5008864792_c5763555a6_z.jpg

Herbert Holmes sending Cap left:

5008263703_a6f651e3a2_z.jpg

Herbert Holmes attempting to intimidate the sheep:

5008889076_35250c825c_z.jpg

Herbert and Cap successfully penning. A great final run of the day!

5008895500_580740a411_z.jpg

great pics! can't wait to get there this weekend!

thanks for the pictures of bill!

Hey, it was a privilege to watch him run - what a lovely dog! I'm sorry to be missing him this week (can't get off work), but I hope to be able to see him run again this weekend.

Your photos are wonderful! New lens?

New lens, yes. But: lessons learned. Don't get so excited that you forget to check whether you've forgotten to reset the ISO from "dim early morning light in NH" level to "outdoors on a sunny day in VA". Don't leave your tripod in the car when you bought the cheaper telephoto that doesn't have vibration reduction. Don't forget the reciprocal rule of thumb: don't try to shoot slower than 1/300 if shooting with a 300 mm lens.

This is only part of the reason why I think Michelle and I should switch jobs. She offered to lend me her lens, kind soul that she is, but I wanted a chance to play with my new one; plus I needed to split right after the trial so that younger son could pack for his class retreat/camping trip.

You did wonderfully -- between the photos and the twitter feed, it's a chance to get a real sense of the action. Your flicker photos are great too!

New lens, yes. But: lessons learned. Don't get so excited that you forget to check whether you've forgotten to reset the ISO from "dim early morning light in NH" level to "outdoors on a sunny day in VA". Don't leave your tripod in the car when you bought the cheaper telephoto that doesn't have vibration reduction. Don't forget the reciprocal rule of thumb: don't try to shoot slower than 1/300 if shooting with a 300 mm lens.

This is only part of the reason why I think Michelle and I should switch jobs. She offered to lend me her lens, kind soul that she is, but I wanted a chance to play with my new one; plus I needed to split right after the trial so that younger son could pack for his class retreat/camping trip.

Mine aren't so clear. I think my camera lens needs to be cleaned.

Love this fall-ish display they had set up . . .

NtlFinals1.jpg

The plantation house which I hope to go back to tour someday . . .

NtlFinals2.jpg

And a couple of the actual dogs and sheep . . .

NtlFinals3.jpg

NtlFinals4.jpg

This was from the parking lot, but I love the mountains down there and had to get a shot of them . . .

NtlFinals6.jpg

I'm so jealous of all of you attending!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures!

I'm hoping to watch some of the webcast this weekend!

:rolleyes:

Hey, it was a privilege to watch him run - what a lovely dog! I'm sorry to be missing him this week (can't get off work), but I hope to be able to see him run again this weekend.

Hey, hey, hey, looks like I may indeed get a chance to see Bill run again this weekend - as of this moment he's the new high scorer! Way to go, Robin and Bill!

(Dang, this "Scores and More" is WAY too seductive!)

Mine aren't so clear. I think my camera lens needs to be cleaned.

Root Beer (Kristine) - yours are great! I wish I'd known you were there; I'd have loved to have met up with another BC Boards member.

I can't wait to go back this weekend!

Root Beer (Kristine) - yours are great! I wish I'd known you were there; I'd have loved to have met up with another BC Boards member.

It occurred to me that there were probably people from the boards there and I had no way of knowing them and they had no way of knowing me. Of course, by then it was too late to say, "I'm wearing a purple shirt!" or something.

I did get to meet Mr. McCaig and I had a fantastic time talking with him. :rolleyes:

Thanks for more photos! I enjoy seeing them all. And thanks for the kind words Lynn!! I should have taken you to meet some of the board members that I know but I was hurrying off to scribe. I'll be back in VA tomorrow night and will see you all there. Keep the photos coming!

Michelle

Thanks for more photos! I enjoy seeing them all. And thanks for the kind words Lynn!! I should have taken you to meet some of the board members that I know but I was hurrying off to scribe. I'll be back in VA tomorrow night and will see you all there. Keep the photos coming!

Michelle

Michelle: there's always Saturday and Sunday to introduce me to people, right? You certainly were busy enough for a one-armed paper hanger! I should have offered to help, but learning to scribe at the Finals seemed like jumping in the deep end. Start me small, at the next trial!

To all: I'd suggested at one point that we BC Board member types ought to make ourselves nametags with our avatars on them, but the idea didn't seem to "take". In retrospect it wouldn't work at all for people without photo avatars.

You'll recognize me as the short overweight middle-aged female with a camera stuck to her face and, probably, my blue-green 2010 Finals t-shirt (if it's not too cold, or if it isn't dirty from having worn it the previous day). Possibly/probably with a prick-eared black and white rough-coated Border collie who hopefully is chilling as well as he did on Sunday. As well as a DH, SIL, BIL, FIL, and a 14-year-old nerdy-looking bespectacled DS (who looks older - beards and height will do that) who may be glued to a Kindle but who says he'd like to attend both days (!!!) if he gets his homework done (unlikely - my guess is he'll only be there on Sunday).

So here's a question: the weather report for this weekend is presently less than auspicious - chance of thunderstorms Saturday, good chance of showers Sunday. Now, I'm sure dogs and sheep will run quite happily in the rain - but what will the organizers do during thunderstorms? And will they set up any additional tent(s) for spectators, or will they simply reckon that spectators have the right to get as wet as the dogs and sheep? I ask because it becomes a question of whether I should discourage my 88-year-old FIL from attending.... If anyone has an answer, please let me know! (I'm thinking of encouraging my SIL to bring her RV as a place where my FIL could take refuge...).

There's a big tent just for spectators. I'd say get here early and claim spots in the front. We'll run as long as no lightning, and that would just cause a delay.

There's a big tent just for spectators. I'd say get here early and claim spots in the front. We'll run as long as no lightning, and that would just cause a delay.

Robin: THANKS. This was pretty much what I figured - they'd stick with the single spectator tent they had up last weekend, so get there early if you want the protection from the elements. (And bring your own chairs in case seating under cover runs out).

And congratulations on your and Bill's run today!!! Way to go!!!!!!