BC Boards

Thanks Heather

juliepoudrier

I just want to thank Heather for giving us a run-by-run account of the nursery finals. It's not easy to pay attention to every run and then report on the various phases of the work--all. day. long.

So thank you. I just wanted you to know that those of us who had to stay home are very grateful for the coverage.

J.

Exactly -- I was thinking of the baseball games my father listened to when I was a child.... great job!

I read the commentary daily and often, and I appreciated the summaries and descriptions of problems at various points on the course. Reminded me of old-time radio.

Penny

The play-by-play is great! Would someone help me with some terminology? (Tried looking on Little Hats, may be there, but I couldn't find it.) What is "flurry" or "flurries?" And what is heading them on the fetch? Sounds like it's undesirable, but might the dog not need to be that far up to keep them on line? Maybe the dog is turning them back? Clearly I am not getting something. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Barbara

edited for loony-looking typos

I can't check the Tweets from work, darnitall! Boo. But my friend just emailed me that Robin and Bill had a GREAT run! (I asked her to update me since she can see the Tweeting)

187 for the lead!

Do you have gmail? I'm getting the feed through google reader, which might not be blocked.

The play-by-play is great! Would someone help me with some terminology? (Tried looking on Little Hats, may be there, but I couldn't find it.) What is "flurry" or "flurries?

I think she means the dog is diving in at the sheep trying to get them to shift, and the sheep are fighting back. Almost/kinda/sorta/not quite a grip.

" And what is heading them on the fetch? Sounds like it's undesirable, but might the dog not need to be that far up to keep them on line? Maybe the dog is turning them back? Clearly I am not getting something. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Barbara

edited for loony-looking typos

Heading them on the fetch or drive is exactly what you might expect. It's the dog coming around to the head of the sheep. This usually slows them down, stops them, or causes them to reverse course. Ideally you want the dog behind the sheep and peeking out to the sides to hold the line with eye.

Not always possible when the sheep are booking it to the exhaust on the fetch or the first leg of the drive. Sometimes the only choice the dog has to stop them and get them back on course is to go to their heads.

Thanks, Julie and Pearse!

Now if I can just stand the suspense in between twitter feeds, like when you know they're in the shedding ring, but can't see it... :rolleyes: I so love the baseball-like feel to it, right down to the very words sometimes: "This could be the winning run!"

I noticed the schedule does not give a start time for Saturday. Safe to assume 8:00 or is it traditionally later?

B.

Heather's tweets are appreciated by those under the tents, too--often she had the scores tweeted before we got them live. It was also pretty funny to see everybody reading the tweets as we were watching the real thing play out on the field in front of us. I don't think Heather is being paid to do this--even more reason to thank her!

Archived