BC Boards

What food do you feed?

And since Sheena (RDM) said I could quote her from another thread, as a long-time raw feeder, she noted that raw feeding is NOT cheap.

Yeah it's not really. I am feeding 6 dogs and two cats raw, and I would guess it works out to about $250.00 a month to feed them the basic meats, and I'm not including the dairy or supplements in that figure. OTOH, Race came with a bag of food, so I bought him another bag of the same food and it was about $18.00 (I forget the brand). It last exactly a week, so I guess it would cost me about $50-60 a month per dog if I fed them all that same kibble (assuming there is some kind of discount for buying a larger bag), which is more expensive than the raw. I buy the least expensive raw diet I can, just because I can't afford to buy anything else.

I've been feeding raw for over a decade, so obviously I am happy with the results. However, Dexter needs more than raw alone and gets either oatmeal or yams with his breakfast every day. He apparently requires some carbs in his diet.

I feed my cats raw because Carl has never, in her whole life, been able to process kibble. Any brand, grains, no grains - you name it, she had the runs on it. On raw she does very well.

I can certainly vouch for the fact that coyotes eat virtually everything that fits in their mouths, and their scat is as full of cherry pits and berry seeds as it is of small animal hair - since the dirty buggers leave it all over my property. However, the same could be said of the WooTWoo, who shared a mole the other day, and sometimes sample the coyote scat as well :rolleyes:

RDM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geonni,

I've fed Wellness to my old dog, and he did fine on it. I've also fed it to the cats. I have the cats on the EVO kibble and they like it. TBH, though, the kibble they seem to like the absolute best is the Chicken Soup. Interestingly, I have *never* been able to convince the cats to eat any of the premium canned cat foods, and I've tried them all (e.g., Wellness, Solid Gold, Weruva, Natural Balance, etc.). I've tried Acana kibble and they were kind of meh about it. I haven't tried Orijen yet.

J.

We are Chicken Soup fans at this house! Jack eats Chicken Soup for adult dogs, my senior cat eats Chicken Soup for senior cats with hairball issues, and my young cat eats Chicken Soup for adult cats. I can't keep my cats away from each other's dishes so they enjoy each other's food. Jack has eaten CS Lite before and liked it. I buy CS from a family-owned pet supply store so I don't have to give my business to the big-box pet stores.

My cats are tacky and like a morsel of Fancy Feast at bedtime. They get a small spoonful of FF Fish and Shrimp and they lick their plates clean. It is rather delicious looking because there are tiny whole shrimp in it! :rolleyes:

My cats are tacky and like a morsel of Fancy Feast at bedtime. They get a small spoonful of FF Fish and Shrimp and they lick their plates clean. It is rather delicious looking because there are tiny whole shrimp in! :rolleyes:

My Mugen is spoiled too. (Now who in the world could be responsible for that?) he gets a handful of dried, shaved bonita flakes before bedtime - they're for making soup base, etc.) I get it at my local Japanese grocery. A big bag costs $18.00 and lasts 3 or 4 months. All you have to do is say "Fish?" and he starts bouncing around like a Jack Russell Terrier.

I feed my new BC :rolleyes: Fromm, the same food I fed my previous dog and she thrived on it.

Last year, I tried Orijen for my cat but he had the worst foul smelling poops on it so I feed him Fromm as well. Some cat food producers figure cats are uber-carnivores and some cat foods wind up having too much protein in them. Because of that, I'm not so trustful of Orijen for dogs.

My cats are tacky and like a morsel of Fancy Feast at bedtime. They get a small spoonful of FF Fish and Shrimp and they lick their plates clean.

I think tackiness must be a cat thing. I've researched a lot of cat foods, and tried a lot of them on my cats as well. They are more amenable to a variety of kibble (go figure), but are very particular about canned food. Despite my best efforts at convincing them to eat premium canned foods, the food they love the best, paws down, is Fancy Feast. It kind of makes me cringe, but cats who won't eat can become ill very quickly, so FF it is in this house, and I just try to make up the difference with a better quality kibble.

J.

Yeah it's not really. I am feeding 6 dogs and two cats raw, and I would guess it works out to about $250.00 a month to feed them the basic meats, and I'm not including the dairy or supplements in that figure. OTOH, Race came with a bag of food, so I bought him another bag of the same food and it was about $18.00 (I forget the brand). It last exactly a week, so I guess it would cost me about $50-60 a month per dog if I fed them all that same kibble (assuming there is some kind of discount for buying a larger bag), which is more expensive than the raw. I buy the least expensive raw diet I can, just because I can't afford to buy anything else.

I think that depends a lot on where you live...I used to be one of those "but raw is cheaper!" people because for me it was...then I talked to some friends in Canada and in Chicago and found that the same stuff I buy costs a lot more and is harder to find there. I can get almost everything I feed for about $1.50/lb.

My dogs eat mostly raw with the occasional high quality canned or kibble meal for convenience sake. I can't say that they are healthier than on kibble (they were healthy on kibble) but the whole dental thing is a huge plus. I have 2 with clean mouths and the one who has a gross mouth still is a lot better on raw than he ever was on kibble.

Archived