BC Boards

prong collar

jrid

I consider Herm Sprenger collars worth the money overall, but I wouldn't spend the extra just to get a Neck Tech one.

To me, the main advantage of the Neck Tech is it doesn't look as "scary" to the public as a traditional prong collar does, especially if you get the nylon cover to go over it. I had thought about getting one for Sinead, since people ask if she's wearing a prong because she's "mean," but I decided it wasn't worth it. She barely needs a prong collar these days, and I just let her sparkling personality answer the question about her temperament.

Maybe my prong collar is just old, but it tends to come apart at the most inopportune moments. I was hoping this new type prong collar would not come apart when least expected.

I use the regular Herm Sprenger prongs and I've never had a problem with them popping open. And, I've had my dogs hit the end of the leash pretty hard a few times. With the tech one, I think you're just paying extra to have the dog collar look less "scary."

Also make sure it's fitted right, and you can use a backup collar in case it pops open. Check out this article: http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

$50 for a collar?? I think I'd be looking for a way to use the regular prong or change training methods before spending that on something that ideally would just be a temporary tool...

We use the Herm Sprenger prong collars on our two 2-yr old border collies and they have been fantastic. For the most part, we used ours to get the boys to calm down while on their leashes, and it worked wonderfully. We went from no one being able to walk them (especially together yanking opposite directions) to them walking on a loose leash for the most part and getting super excited whenever we pull the collars down to put on them. To keep the collars from looking so intimidating, a woman in our obedience class weaves colored leather through the links, which also helps keep everything together. Not only can we control them on walks, but they're stylish and color-coordinated to their regular collars and leashes!

I'll admit to not knowing anything about the model you specify, but HS are the way to go for prongs. Exceptionally high quality and more comfortable/safer for the dog.

I like to use prongs when walking the dogs all together in the neighborhood. It just gives me a higher level of control were anything crazy to happen. My little dog will strain if he gets really excited, but with the prong it's a non-issue and doesn't require a correction. My big dog is just nuts at the start of the walk and the prong keeps his brain with me until he settles a bit. Walking solo they are fine in flat collars, but with three I can't focus on them individually like I should -- So I fully admit to the prongs being a crutch.

Secret doesn't have one yet -- She's not a puller at all and I haven't felt the need to buy one for her. She's sandwiched between the boys when we walk and she just falls in line with them.

We use the Herm Sprenger prong collars on our two 2-yr old border collies and they have been fantastic. For the most part, we used ours to get the boys to calm down while on their leashes, and it worked wonderfully. We went from no one being able to walk them (especially together yanking opposite directions) to them walking on a loose leash for the most part and getting super excited whenever we pull the collars down to put on them. To keep the collars from looking so intimidating, a woman in our obedience class weaves colored leather through the links, which also helps keep everything together. Not only can we control them on walks, but they're stylish and color-coordinated to their regular collars and leashes!

Yeah, personally, I'm of the opinion of I won't spend more than $25 on a collar under any circumstances. I've never had a problem with the Herm Sprengers breaking open. And with a border collie, I wouldn't worry about them looking intimidating. I take Mick all sorts of places with his prong and have never had a comment about it. I've received numerous comments about my pit bull wearing a prong collar. When my grandmother was dying in her nursing home, they would not allow me to take Sinead in with her prong. Once I took it off, she was allowed to visit my grandmother (she loved the dog). So I really think the way a prong is perceived has a lot to do with the breed of dog.

Sinead also is big on showing all her teeth when greeting people. I call it her pit bull smile, but despite her big wiggling butt, it scares people. It even wigged out my mother when she was greeted with it. Unfortunately, people see pit bull and teeth and freak out, despite the fact that she's wagging her tail so hard, her whole body is shaking.

Archived