BC Boards

Wrong Way ...

jdarling

I haven't done this yet, but it's only a matter of time.

It's the second day of a two-day trial, and the course is mirrored from the day before. You outrun, lift and fetch, and then at some point you realize ... you're going the wrong way on the drive. I watched someone do it at an informal trial this weekend, and the gentleman I was sitting next to is a judge, so I asked him how the judging on that works. He told me that it's normally a DQ. Something I was thinking about later ... at what point is it a DQ? Do you have any time to A) realize it, and "B") fix it? Is the DQ when you come around the post the wrong way and start driving? Or is it when you get to the first drive panel? Or go through the first drive panel? Technically, where is the line between an "oops" that you can fix and a "DQ"?

I haven't done this yet, but it's only a matter of time.

It's the second day of a two-day trial, and the course is mirrored from the day before. You outrun, lift and fetch, and then at some point you realize ... you're going the wrong way on the drive. I watched someone do it at an informal trial this weekend, and the gentleman I was sitting next to is a judge, so I asked him how the judging on that works. He told me that it's normally a DQ. Something I was thinking about later ... at what point is it a DQ? Do you have any time to A) realize it, and "B") fix it? Is the DQ when you come around the post the wrong way and start driving? Or is it when you get to the first drive panel? Or go through the first drive panel? Technically, where is the line between an "oops" that you can fix and a "DQ"?

When you make or miss the first drive panel (or the fetch gates, as sometimes happens), then you're DQed for off course. Until then, you're just badly off line. If anyone from the sidelines shouts out and tells you you went the wrong way, they also can be DQed for outside assistance. Yikes!

Amy

Jodi,

I think a more common mistake at that level would be to accidentally drive the fetch panels (vs. the drive away panels). I don't think I've ever seen an open handler go completely the wrong way on a trial course, but I have seen them accidentally drive toward the fetch panels.

J.

Dear Fellow Handlers,

I've done both. Wrong way around the handler's post but toward the correct drive panel: lost all but one fetch point, drove the fetch panel (Ret because I anticipated the DQ).

Doesn't really matter very much. You lose so many points you're well out of the prize list.

It probably pays to do a mental rehearsal while watching earlier runs.

Donald McCaig

Move to the cross-drive panel side of the post.

Interesting - I always move to the drive panel side.

(I think Patrick Shannahan showed me this a long time ago.)

The plan is to be in position to block the sheep from going the wrong way around.

I haven't gone the wrong way yet!

(But, I have done lots of other cool stuff, which won't be detailed here.)

charlie

So my strategy (at least when my dog decides to go out and find the sheep) of moving around the post with the sheep leaves me doomed...

Going around the post with the sheep is fine.

Some judges, however, might deduct a bit if they think you are helping your dog too much on the turn.

It's always something.

charlie

So my strategy (at least when my dog decides to go out and find the sheep) of moving around the post with the sheep leaves me doomed...

I follow around, too, mainly because it's easier to see what's going on and correct/prevent mistakes. And if you follow around, then you couild position yourself to the side the sheep need to pass first.

J.

Archived