BC Boards

Airline for shipping dog?

C Crocker

I've had great luck using Continental. However, I don't know their schedule or if they have a direct flight. Climate controlled and counter to counter service. I understand there has been some changes at some airports and they are not having to deal with the temperature fluctuations, the area for dogs is all climate controlled. You might just want to check with Continental and Delta and see what they offer. Good luck!

I've had great luck using Continental. <snip> Climate controlled and counter to counter service.

Same here. I've used Continental's QuickPak service several times and so far I've been as "comfortable" using them as possible for me to feel when shipping a dog or pup. I always try for a direct flight (and I'm lucky that I've got four major airports to choose from within 2 1/2 hours' drive), but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Still, even the transfers have gone smoothly, and with the QuickPak service you can track the "package" online, and watch the flight's progress on a map (complete with a little plane icon).

At Newark (NJ) airport, the shipping counter is at the end of the regular departing flights terminal; I get to park in an otherwise "no parking" zone, and the counter is only about 20 feet away. The folks have all been super-helpful and patient with me and were able to ease my stress a bit whether I was shipping or receiving. :rolleyes:

Same here. I've used Continental's QuickPak service several times and so far I've been as "comfortable" using them as possible for me to feel when shipping a dog or pup. I always try for a direct flight (and I'm lucky that I've got four major airports to choose from within 2 1/2 hours' drive), but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Still, even the transfers have gone smoothly, and with the QuickPak service you can track the "package" online, and watch the flight's progress on a map (complete with a little plane icon).

At Newark (NJ) airport, the shipping counter is at the end of the regular departing flights terminal; I get to park in an otherwise "no parking" zone, and the counter is only about 20 feet away. The folks have all been super-helpful and patient with me and were able to ease my stress a bit whether I was shipping or receiving. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for telling me your experiences.

I just called the people at Quick-Pak and the pup would fly from SFO to NJ then onto PHL after plane change at NJ. He said it would be about 8-10 hrs total. Pup would stay in kennel but they will add water to bowl hanging in crate.

That seems so long for a 10 week old pup, but truly my fear is they leave them out in the heat somewhere and /or lose them.

Knowing you have had a good experience is comforting , but do you think that's an ok time to be in the crate? I know they stay that long lovernite at home, so I am probably just worrying about nothing.

Carolyn

Thanks to all for telling me your experiences.

Knowing you have had a good experience is comforting , but do you think that's an ok time to be in the crate? I know they stay that long lovernite at home, so I am probably just worrying about nothing.

Carolyn

I've used Delta Dash and usually have pretty good luck with them. They have a van that is A/C that picks them up off the plane.

It's REALLY hard to find direct flights anymore so just start calling and see who has the flight with the least amount of "down time" between flights.

I've had a pup shipped from the Netherlands and she came through just fine. But I "hear what you are saying ... seems like a long time for the adults much less the pups:@(

Good Luck (and Gear is doing fine :@)

I agree, it does seem like a long time but...they make it. I can sympathize with you, I hated the thought of shipping my pups out. They made it and it was most likely me that needed the drugs :rolleyes: Call around to a few of the airlines, see if there is a shorter flight. You can also consider asking a friend, depending upon where the pup stops, to take it for the night and let it continue the trip the next day (will cost more I suppose!).

Dan flew Delta from CA to Pittsburgh via Atlanta, which would have been fine except there was a delay in Atlanta. Poor boy was in the crate from around 6 am EST until after 10 pm EST. His crate was dirty and damp but Anna'd packed in an absorbent pad and a thick towel so he was pretty clean and dry himself (although hugely offended by his dirty crate).

I'm considering flying out in Feb to spend a couple of weeks with Anna, and taking Dan. Delta has some good flights then, direct from Pittsburgh to San Diego. Ed doesn't want Dan to fly but taking him would be a very big part of why I want to go to visit Anna. So, I'm benefitting from this topic as it's on my mind.

I just called the people at Quick-Pak and the pup would fly from SFO to NJ then onto PHL after plane change at NJ. He said it would be about 8-10 hrs total. Pup would stay in kennel but they will add water to bowl hanging in crate.

That seems so long for a 10 week old pup, but truly my fear is they leave them out in the heat somewhere and /or lose them.

It does seem long, but someone pointed on out on a similar thread some time ago-- it's easier on the pups than adults, because even though a pup will TRY not to soil the crate, they are less inhibited about it, and if they have to go, they will go, whereas the adults will try to hold it forever. Absorbant material in the crate is required for shipping so that will keep the pup from getting TOO icky. Of the three pups I've shipped or received, none have had bowel movements in the crate.

Philly to Newark airport is something like a 2 1/2 hour drive and is one of the airports I consider in my "four major" airports that I would go to pick up (or ship) a pup. Could your recipient drive to EWR to get the pup? It would still mean crate time on the drive home, but at least he or she could get out to potty outside the crate and stretch legs. Of course, I guess it also depends on where your receiver lives in relation to Philly airport. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the input for flying a pup. I ended up going with Continental "Pet Safe" system. Happy to say all worked out well. Everything on time to a tad early, pup arrived with water still in bowl and happy. People at my end at SFO were nice and helpful. About the only thing that could have bothered him that for some reason did not seem to, is that he did sit in the area at SFO by a desk where they took freight by him, which was rather loud. I did not put him into crate for last time until I had to, 2 hrs before flight left.

There was a short layover in NJ before heading to PA. I was told they have a vet station there and if there is a real problem they are seen by vet, otherwise not out of crate at all.

So my last pup to go to new owner is happily in his new home today . I have almost empty nest syndrome, having kept one female pup from this litter. Next time I see him I hope he is competing at the USBCHA Natl's!!

So all in all it came out ok and if I should do this again ever, at this time I would use Continental again.

Archived