BC Boards

ID Tags

I'm ording a new collar for my dog with an ID plate on it and was trying to decide what to put on it.

What does everyone put on their dogs' tags?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so no dog's name. I was wondering about that.

Should I put "microchiped" or her microchip number on it?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Ok, so no dog's name. I was wondering about that.

Should I put "microchiped" or her microchip number on it?

Thanks for the responses so far!

I am about to order a tag also. I usually put:

reward

my cell #

spouse's cell #

microchipped

I am thinking about the microchip number now, good thought. Would be good if there was a way to fit it on the metal tag there since the one printed on the little rubber tag smears after a time.

B.

Mine is:

street address

town/state

my cell

husbands cell.

The reason I include full address is that I live in the type of town where someone will just walk a dog home if it is just up the street. We have both done it, if you know where the dogs home is I find people less likely to call animal control.

Hello everyone,

The tags on my Border Collies are rather small, but large enough to include my address, home and cell phone numbers, and the word reward.

I don't use tags on my guardian dogs, but below is a photo of one of their collars.

post-6118-1281912123_thumb.jpg

Regards to all,

nancy

I just ordered new tags myself. All three were the same:

Loose = Lost

Owner 555-123-4567

Vet 555-098-7654

City, State

Microchipped

Hm ....

My tags have:

Dog's Name

My Street Address

My Town and State

My Phone Number

I know lots of people won't put the dog's name, but here's my thinking. If one of my dogs gets loose in Mashed Rabbit, Idaho, a squillion miles from home and someone finds them and gets close enough to READ those tags ... it might calm the dog to hear his/her own name spoken. My worst fear is one of my dogs lost and panicked in a strange place, unwilling to let anyone help them.

Just for curiosity's sake, why do folks choose to omit the dog's name? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Cheers ~

Gloria

P.S.

I like the "reward" idea. I wonder how much I can fit onto those Petco tags ...

MIne are similar to Liz P's:

on one side:

REWARD

on the other:

my name

my cell number

my husbands cell number

street address and zip

Hi there ~

Where do you get 2-sided tags made? My choices are limited where I live: via the vet's office or Petco, and neither offer a 2-sided option. That would be pretty handy!

Cheers ~

Gloria

http://gundogsupply.com/3-4in-k9k-leather-...ing-collar.html

The 18 inch fits all my Border Collies, 27 to 50 lbs. They are cheap, sturdy and come with a free name plate. Despite getting wet in gross stock tanks after hard work they never smell.

ETA: I hate the sound of tags and they can get caught easily, so I don't use them.

Hi there ~

Where do you get 2-sided tags made? My choices are limited where I live: via the vet's office or Petco, and neither offer a 2-sided option. That would be pretty handy!

Cheers ~

Gloria

You can do 2-sided tags here:

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp...A4757F289E562E3

They are out of David City Nebraska

I have ordered from pet supply places and the last bunch we ordered from a local engraving shop. I order a dozen tags at a time so I have extras for foster dogs, extra collars etc and they are all the same, which is why I do no dogs name. I used one as a luggage tag once in a pinch! :rolleyes:

I order the collar tags from Boomerang Tags. They fit on the collar- no jangling- and are guaranteed for the life of the tag. I've never had ANY trouble with one, and they get pretty beat up on my dogs. I have:

Dog's Name

My Name

Address (street, city, state)

Phone Number

I live on an island. There's only so far dogs can go. Our APS also has photos of licensed dogs on file, so if my dogs get loose without a collar, they can be photo matched (that is if nobody recognised them- hard to believe in a place where a name & "general delivery" will still get your mail to you).

I've been thinking about getting new tags, without the dog's name on it. I like the "loose = lost" line.

I know lots of people won't put the dog's name, but here's my thinking. If one of my dogs gets loose in Mashed Rabbit, Idaho, a squillion miles from home and someone finds them and gets close enough to READ those tags ... it might calm the dog to hear his/her own name spoken. My worst fear is one of my dogs lost and panicked in a strange place, unwilling to let anyone help them.

Just for curiosity's sake, why do folks choose to omit the dog's name? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

I guess I deliberately omitted putting my dog's name on his tag for fear that someone would read it and use that information to try to coerce him away. Not sure, really, how much difference that would make. (If someone is determined to steal a dog - do they need its name? wouldn't a leash suffice?). You have a counter-argument that's probably a more likely scenario.

This is a useful thread; I've been thinking of a new collar and name tag and I like a lot of the suggestions here.

Duncan's tag currently contains my cell phone number and my husband's and that's it. He has a separate microchip tag, and a rabies tag, and a dog license. Lots to jingle around and to get caught on things.

Great discussion.

Cell phone #, obvious choice. Home phone also, since I can check home phone messages from "afar."

Have always put dog's name, for reasons mentioned.

Curious about the "reward" part though. Let's assume the worst...dog is found, you are called, finder says "How much reward?"

Now what??? Could this turn into an ugly bargaining deal?? Not likely, I know....but still.

OTOH, mine generally don't wear collars or tags around hometown...only when we travel. Taking my chances with collar or tag getting caught on something, but chances of friendly dog being found, I much hope, is greater!

diane

Mine have small tags with the dogs name on one side, and my address and phone number on the other. Bear is more likely to respond well to someone if they use his name. Meg's tag says 'Meagan' and it probably won't make a difference one way or another for her if a stranger uses her name. Depending on the person, they're either her best friend or she barks at them from a distance.

In my neighborhood too, people tend to just walk a dog home if they know where they live. The dogs also have their rabies and license tags. Bear doesn't wear his collar at home, but I like the jingle while we're on walks so when he's off leash I can hear where he's at (nice when the dogs are behind me or in tall brush).

I suffer from raging paranoia...

I have known more than 1 person who told me they found a dog and kept it because the owners were irresponsible for the dog getting loose, all without making any effort to find the owner!

I always hope the "reward" part might help someone who felt that I must not care about my dogs or someone who might think they were valuable to consider returning them.

I have lost 1 dog several times (the highly storm-phobic Golden I mentioned in other threads) because she would literally break out of the house if she felt a storm coming, often long before we knew it was happening) and 1 dog once (my oldest Papillon freaked out once when staying with a friend while I was out of town and decided to "come find me") and gratefully each time someone found the dogs and called and refused the reward.

I still have paranoia.

:rolleyes:

I don't include a name as there is limited room on the tag, and I want the address and both cell numbers on the tag. I did not want to have another plate on the collar as I think it starts to get very clunky. Just looks really. I also have collars from Gun Dog Supply, I got these: Swimming collars as our dogs spend a lot of time in the water and have found that both leather and nylon collars get smelly. In case any one is interested in how they actually look, the black one is great, but I think the brown looks cheesy.

Liz P, have you really found their leather collars hold up and don't become nasty when wet. I would prefer leather I have just got tired of nasty collars.

There is also the paranoid factor, I have always been told not to put the name on the tag as it makes it easier for someone to steal your dog. I have no idea if their is any truth to this but when I am filling out tag info it is always a thought.

I have regular hanging tags on all 4 dogs' collars. They include: Dog name, home phone, cell phone, REWARD. I also have the leather collars with the tag riveted onto the collar for two of them (same as Liz's). Those two include all the same info, but since I had additional space available, I added "I am microchipped".

The only time I found the collars to get slightly stinky was when I lived in a cabin on a lake for a year. The dogs were litterally wet from sunrise to sunset and the collars got a slight odor to them, but not bad all things considered. Now they only get wet a few times a day when the dogs take a dunk in the stock tank and I don't notice any odor or grossness from the collars.

PS, I was told by a friend to get the field grade leather, like the ones in the link I posted, because they stand up to getting wet better than the fancy ones.

I don't like jangling tags, either, but now I have a dilemma because I'd like to attach the rabies tag with the ID tag. The reason is the last two loose dogs I've encountered did have owner info on an ID tag, but I could not reach the owner (and in one case I just drove the dog to the address, but no one home & no way to contain the dog). However the rabies tag said what clinic issued it, so I was able to get the dog back to the owner via their veterinarian. So now I can't help thinking of the rabies tag as back up, yet 2 tags are so noisy.

I ordered one of those Urban Hound ID tag pouches, but it is so humongous it looks like he's wearing a purse around his neck! I think the Tag Silencer Pouch may be smaller. Does anyone use one like that or have another idea?

B.

Archived